Old 01-08-2008, 02:43 PM
"Free Gamer"

Default Introduction + Start

Hi,

My name is Charles Goodwin and I'm the author of Free Gamer (see sig
for URL) which is a blog / list on Free Software games. It means I
have a ridiculous amount of open sources games to be found in the
depths of my grey cells so hopefully I have some good suggestions for
you.

Here's a few to start:

Lost Labyrinth: http://www.lostlabyrinth.com/
(An awesome little GPL game)

Hex-a-hop: http://libregamewiki.org/Hex-a-hop
(Fun arcade game although homepage is offline)

Simutrans: http://www.simutrans.com
(Simutrans eventually became GPL licensed last year)

Many more suggestions to come!

- C

--
Free Gamer - free & open source games list & commentary
http://freegamer.blogspot.com/

Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Nicu Buculei

Free Gamer wrote:

Lost Labyrinth: http://www.lostlabyrinth.com/
(An awesome little GPL game)

This one needs a proprietary compiler, so it can't be integrated in the
Fedora build system (but indeed, the game is nice).

Old 01-08-2008, 05:25 PM
"Miriam Ruiz"

Hi,

My name is Miriam Ruiz, and I'm the founder of the Debian Games Team
[1], and one of its co-admins. Some days ago, Hans de Goede contacted
us and I decided to join this list, sorry I have not introduced myself
before.

2008/1/8, Free Gamer <freegamerblog@gmail.com>:

> Hex-a-hop: http://libregamewiki.org/Hex-a-hop
> (Fun arcade game although homepage is offline)

This game is really cool and addictive, and I really recommend it, I
don't know if you already have it in Fedora. If you have interest in
having it internationalized, have a look at the patches [2] we've
developed for it, as we're supporting gettext and utf8 (via
SDL-pango).

Greetings,
Miry

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Team
[2] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-games/packages/trunk/hex-a-hop/debian/patches/

Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Leszek Matok

Dnia 2008-01-08, o godz. 19:03:33 Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro>
napisał(a):

> This one needs a proprietary compiler, so it can't be integrated in the
> Fedora build system (but indeed, the game is nice).
It says on the webpage that:
- there is an allegedly "Open Source" version 4.0
- it can compile the code to assembler, which can be tweaked and assembled
with nasm (we can distribute that, right? )

Lam

Old 01-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Hans de Goede

Miriam Ruiz wrote:

Hi,

My name is Miriam Ruiz, and I'm the founder of the Debian Games Team
[1], and one of its co-admins. Some days ago, Hans de Goede contacted
us and I decided to join this list, sorry I have not introduced myself
before.

Hi,

Welcome and thanks for the input!

Regards,

Hans

Old 01-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Hans de Goede

Free Gamer wrote:

Hi,

My name is Charles Goodwin and I'm the author of Free Gamer (see sig
for URL) which is a blog / list on Free Software games. It means I
have a ridiculous amount of open sources games to be found in the
depths of my grey cells so hopefully I have some good suggestions for
you.

Hi,

Nice to meet you.

Here's a few to start:

Lost Labyrinth: http://www.lostlabyrinth.com/
(An awesome little GPL game)

As already said (and wrongly disputed) this one needs a proprietary compiler
and thus is a no no.

Hex-a-hop: http://libregamewiki.org/Hex-a-hop
(Fun arcade game although homepage is offline)

Might be a good candidate.

Simutrans: http://www.simutrans.com
(Simutrans eventually became GPL licensed last year)

Currently does not have any clearly licensed datafiles.

Regards,

Hans

Old 01-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Hans de Goede

Leszek Matok wrote:

Dnia 2008-01-08, o godz. 19:03:33 Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro>
This one needs a proprietary compiler, so it can't be integrated in the
Fedora build system (but indeed, the game is nice).

It says on the webpage that:
- there is an allegedly "Open Source" version 4.0

Only a partial "opensource" release for amiga, in other words useless.

Regards,

Hans