Old 11-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Oscar Torrente

Default A new free 2D Game Development Platform: BennuGD

Hello

Im writing this email to introduce you a very interesting GPL 2D videogame programming language, called BennuGD (http://www.bennugd.org).

The strong point of Bennu is that, in very few lines, you can write a ping-pong, a pac-man, a "space invaders", a shooter, a platform game ... It consists of a sort of commands like "put_screen()" to draw a background, or "advance()" to move a certain picture on the screen in any direction,etc. Programming internally is based on concurrent processes, but for Bennu developer it doesnt matter: he will use mostly a kind of wellknown structured programming style. There is no default editor or any visual environment: Bennu is composed of command line tools. In fact, Bennu consists of a compiler and an interpreter plus some static libraries. It is based on C and SDL. Other dependencies are SDL_mixer, Libpng
and Zlib. It can also be extended by external libraries programmed in C; for instance, you can use a 3D library called Bennu3D, based on Irrlicht and Bullet, or a network library called Fsock, and so on.

The official website is (ive mentioned before) http://www.bennugd.org. There you can download Bennu and more related software and libraries, documentation (including a wiki), etc . Right now Bennu is on Release Candidate, I dont know when the final version will get off , but I can say that today Bennu is already solid as a rock. If you try to install it, you will see that the installer for Linux is a simple shell script that copies to some specific folders (/usr/bin/bgd and /usr/lib/ bgd) the files needed for run (which are packed inside the shell script).The installer has also an uninstall option, which makes simply delete the files. Very easy. You can also see the source code as Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bennugd .
Theres also a strong (spanish-speaking) community (of which I belong, but I'm not part of the development team) that can be found at http://forum.bennugd.org

I hope this information has been of your interest.
Thank you very much for your attention.
Bye.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Miriam Ruiz

It is really a nice development platform, it conceptually derives from Fenix, which is also in itself a free clone of DIV Games Studio. The only problem I see with Bennu for the moment is that the direct conversions between integers and pointers in the code do not work at all in 64 bits, AFAIK.

Greetings,Miry

Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Jon Ciesla

Miriam Ruiz wrote:

Im writing this email to introduce you a very interesting GPL 2D
videogame programming language, called BennuGD
(http://www.bennugd.org).

It is really a nice development platform, it conceptually derives from
Fenix, which is also in itself a free clone of DIV Games Studio. The
only problem I see with Bennu for the moment is that the direct
conversions between integers and pointers in the code do not work at
all in 64 bits, AFAIK.

Greetings,
Miry

I saw that there's no 64-bit version, would this fact preclude running
the 32-bit version on 64-bit platforms?

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Miriam Ruiz

2009/11/18 Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net>:
> Miriam Ruiz wrote:
>>
>> 2009/11/18 Oscar Torrente <q2dg@yahoo.es <mailto:q2dg@yahoo.es>>
>>
>> * *Hello
>>
>> * *Im writing this email to introduce you a very interesting GPL 2D
>> * *videogame programming language, called BennuGD
>> * *(http://www.bennugd.org).
>>

>> It is really a nice development platform, it conceptually derives from
>> Fenix, which is also in itself a free clone of DIV Games Studio. The only
>> problem I see with Bennu for the moment is that the direct conversions
>> between integers and pointers in the code do not work at all in 64 bits,
>> AFAIK.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Miry

> I saw that there's no 64-bit version, would this fact preclude running the
> 32-bit version on 64-bit platforms?

AFAIK, it can be compiled with -m32, but not with -m64, that's the
reason I haven't packaged it for Debian yet, although I've been
following the project since its birth. Fenix also had, and already
has, that problem.

Maybe it could be fixed with intptr_t and uintptr_t [1] (Linux
equivalent for Window's UINT_PTR and INT_PTR [2]), but as that numbers
are part of the virtual machine code, that would make code not
portable between architectures (I seriously doubt that it is now, even
in 32 bits with different endianess, but I haven't checked so I might
be wrong).

The proper way to fix it would probably be to have a dictionary (or
something EQUIVALENT), and put the key to the dictionary in the id and
the pointer in the value, thus avoiding having the actual pointer in
the 32bit id [3]

Whatever the solution might be, it seems to imply a hard work, so for
the moment I would only consider using it in 32 bits arches.

Any better ideas?

Greetings,
Miry

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/153065/converting-a-pointer-into-an-integer
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384242(VS.85).aspx
[3] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1186766/resolving-cast-to-pointer-from-integer-of-different-size-error-in-64-bit-convers

Old 11-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Jon Ciesla

Miriam Ruiz wrote:

[...]

So, looking at this, I see that it needs (and bundles) libdes, which
looks long dead upstream, and uses a static lib. libdes isn't in
Fedora, or Debian as far as I can tell, so we may have to bundle it.
That makes me nervous, since if it's dead, it may have vulnerabilities
that are going unpatched, which makes me additionally nervous if we then
go on to package games that make use of this.

Thoughts?

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 11-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Miriam Ruiz

2009/11/19 Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net>:

> So, looking at this, I see that it needs (and bundles) libdes, which looks
> long dead upstream, and uses a static lib. *libdes isn't in Fedora, or
> Debian as far as I can tell, so we may have to bundle it. That makes me
> nervous, since if it's dead, it may have vulnerabilities that are going
> unpatched, which makes me additionally nervous if we then go on to package
> games that make use of this.

Main developer and leader of Bennu is a really nice argentinian guy
that is quite cooperative, so we might want to ask him about that

Greetings,
Miry

Old 11-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Jon Ciesla

Miriam Ruiz wrote:

So, looking at this, I see that it needs (and bundles) libdes, which looks
long dead upstream, and uses a static lib. libdes isn't in Fedora, or
Debian as far as I can tell, so we may have to bundle it. That makes me
nervous, since if it's dead, it may have vulnerabilities that are going
unpatched, which makes me additionally nervous if we then go on to package
games that make use of this.

Main developer and leader of Bennu is a really nice argentinian guy
that is quite cooperative, so we might want to ask him about that

Greetings,
Miry

Do you have his email, or shall I just use the contact form on the site?

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Oscar Torrente

His nick is SplinterGU. You can try to mail him at splintergu@bennugd.org, but the preferable way to contact is the forum: http://forum.bennugd.org. Dont be afraid because of the amount of post in english...the main comunity is spanish-speaking.

He also has said that soon will be a* 64bit version of Bennu...he must decide whether it will be incompatible at level of the compiler and library interfaces or not...Besides, a new 64b base data type will be added.

If you talk to him, you will be informed very well.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Jon Ciesla

Oscar Torrente wrote:
His nick is SplinterGU. You can try to mail him at
splintergu@bennugd.org, but the preferable way to contact is the
forum: http://forum.bennugd.org. Dont be afraid because of the amount
of post in english...the main comunity is spanish-speaking.

He also has said that soon will be a 64bit version of Bennu...he must
decide whether it will be incompatible at level of the compiler and
library interfaces or not...Besides, a new 64b base data type will be
added.

If you talk to him, you will be informed very well.

Thanks, here's my forum post:

http://forum.bennugd.org/index.php?topic=956.0

-J

--