Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 AM
Joel

Default Please Default to Windowed Mode or Get RnR right

Folks,

I run dualhead, either 2x1920x1200 or lowresx1080P. Invariable fedora games try
to start up full screen and completely mess up my displays. Sometimes it is
quite a challenge to get back in to a state where I can restore my settings
without logging out and logging back in.

Please make your games start in windowed mode. Let the user choose later to go
fullscreen. Or make your came properly save the xrandr state and restore it,
including dual head. Don't EVER go to mirror mode.

Two sample great games that just don't do full screen dual head smart:

extremetuxracer
angry dwarves

Oh, and can't full screen be just one head? The video players can do it. How
about the games?

Thanks guys!

Keep the great games coming.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Guido Grazioli

2009/11/2 Joel <jdy@cryregarder.com>:
> Folks,
>
> I run dualhead, either 2x1920x1200 or lowresx1080P. *Invariable fedora games try
> to start up full screen and completely mess up my displays. *Sometimes it is
> quite a challenge to get back in to a state where I can restore my settings
> without logging out and logging back in.

I had the same problem with nvidia binary drivers and twinview; it went away
editing xorg.conf, adding the resolution needed by the game to MetaModes, ie
MetaModes "1680x1050, 1680x1050; NULL, 1024x768"
to have the game requesting 1024x768 on the right screen.

--
Guido Grazioli <guido.grazioli@gmail.com>
Via Parri 11 48011 - Alfonsine (RA)

Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Joel

Guido Grazioli <guido.grazioli@...> writes:
> I had the same problem with nvidia binary drivers and twinview; it went away
> editing xorg.conf, adding the resolution needed by the game to MetaModes, ie
> MetaModes "1680x1050, 1680x1050; NULL, 1024x768"

Yuck. I can work around it also. My approach:

1. Start the game
2. Figure out how to get back to normal X which varies depending on how badly
the game dorks up the display
3. Edit the game's config file with my desired gui mode

This process is so annoying that I rarely am willing to try games in linux.
This is probably a good thing for my time management.