Old 01-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Games Spin Update - Looking good for alpha release

poker2d got updated.

Jon Ciesla helped get the spec file changes in for nethack-vultures.

Jeremy Katz applied the livecd-creator patch to allow for 4+ GiB
squashfs images. This isn't in rawhide yet, but Jeremy has said if it
isn't by the alpha they can use the git version to do the alpha spin.

There will probably be some discussion at FudCon about the Spin process
and the Games Spin in particular. Approval still isn't guaranteed.

I plan to attend the January 16th FESCO meeting either for a normal
approval request if things fall into place for the Spin process or
to ask for a temporary exception to get a games spin made for the
alpha release while the process requirements are being figured out.

Those are all of the issues that were left blocking the games spin for
the alpha release. So while it isn't for sure yet, it is looking pretty
good.

There are a couple of other things that produce error messages during the
livecd-creator run, but I don't think any of them actually result in a
broken spin.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:28 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

[Congrats on moving this, quite a bit forward]

There are a couple of other things that produce error messages during the
livecd-creator run, but I don't think any of them actually result in a
broken spin.

Doing a compose, you will often run into bugs in post-install scripts
with rpm packages. It would be good if you can report and keep track of
them somewhere. Some of them, break subtly which is even worse than just
failing.

Rahul

Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:58:57 +0530,
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> [Congrats on moving this, quite a bit forward]
>

>> There are a couple of other things that produce error messages during the
>> livecd-creator run, but I don't think any of them actually result in a
>> broken spin.
>
> Doing a compose, you will often run into bugs in post-install scripts
> with rpm packages. It would be good if you can report and keep track of
> them somewhere. Some of them, break subtly which is even worse than just
> failing.

I have been. I filed a file bugzilla's on all but one that was just a warning
message relating to gnu info I think. Most have been fixed. There is still
one for nethack and another for the plymouth solaris plugin. The remaining
bugs (including a couple that are fixed, but I haven't personally verified
yet) are all linked to from the games spin feature page in the current status
section. I removed links for the bugs that were fixed and verified by me.

The nethack one is updating the icon cache before gtk2 has been installed.
I don't think that is likely.

I forget exactly what I thought was happening with the solaris plugin, but
it also didn't seem likely to be causing a real problem.

Though getting rid of the error messages would be nice. I was concerned when
I first saw them and I expect other people will be as well.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Feedback after the Spins meeting at Fudcon was positive.

One important consideration came up that I had not previously considered. Vfat
files are limited to less than 4 GiB. Considering the audience for the
published games spin, I think we want to keep the iso image under 4 GiB so
that people using vfat file systems can use the games spin iso.

I hope to be able to get under by cutting some desktop stuff. I'll be looking
at this this weekend.

I still want the livecd-creator change for my own stuff, so I'll continue
to test that in parallel.

For now I'll leave the greater than 4 GiB related stuff on the feature as it
will probably be at least mentioned at the FESCO meeting. But after the FESCO
meeting I'll drop it if the targetted size is going to be 4 GiB.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 PM
"Callum Lerwick"

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> One important consideration came up that I had not previously considered. Vfat
> files are limited to less than 4 GiB. Considering the audience for the
> published games spin, I think we want to keep the iso image under 4 GiB so
> that people using vfat file systems can use the games spin iso.

Are we really that worried about people still using Windows 9x? Anyone
using XP or newer ought to be using NTFS by now.

Though FAT is still common on removable media. Are we looking to boot
the image from an 8gb+ USB stick?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Steven Lee

Callum Lerwick wrote:

One important consideration came up that I had not previously considered. Vfat
files are limited to less than 4 GiB. Considering the audience for the
published games spin, I think we want to keep the iso image under 4 GiB so
that people using vfat file systems can use the games spin iso.

Are we really that worried about people still using Windows 9x? Anyone
using XP or newer ought to be using NTFS by now.

Though FAT is still common on removable media. Are we looking to boot
the image from an 8gb+ USB stick?

I think that is very plausible, or at least an external hard drive for
portability. We should always plan for something to be used in an way
not originally envisioned.

-Steven

Old 01-10-2009, 03:22 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 18:52:31 -0600,
Callum Lerwick <seg@haxxed.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> > One important consideration came up that I had not previously considered. Vfat
> > files are limited to less than 4 GiB. Considering the audience for the
> > published games spin, I think we want to keep the iso image under 4 GiB so
> > that people using vfat file systems can use the games spin iso.
>
> Are we really that worried about people still using Windows 9x? Anyone
> using XP or newer ought to be using NTFS by now.
>
> Though FAT is still common on removable media. Are we looking to boot
> the image from an 8gb+ USB stick?

If it isn't going to be a problem in general, I'd rather see it keep what is
there now. I thought that vfat use might be in wider use, but I don't
really follow the Windows world too closely.

Since this is supposed to be an outreach spin, I don't want to do something
that is going to cause problems with that.

Since the idea is to burn the image to DVD, I don't think whether or not it
is a problem on usb drives is a big deal. I would expect people that want
to use it on a usb drive, will use the live usb tool. And for carting around,
you might as well burn it to a DVD as that's what it is supposed to be used
for.

When people upgraded to XP, did their file systems get converted from vfat
to ntfs in the process? Is there likely to be many people whose main file
system is vfat?

Based on this feedback, I am now thinking that using the current size for
the alpha and getting feedback is probably better. I think I will need to
pursue both options in the short run and get some more input from the spins
sig.