-   Fedora Games (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/)
-   -   Games Spin status (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/223189-games-spin-status.html)

Bruno Wolff III 01-06-2009 04:11 AM

Games Spin status

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 20:49:06 -0600,
Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:

> BW> nethack and nethack-vultures. The maintainer of nethack-vultures
> BW> looked at the problem but has a problem with their key and doesn't
> BW> know how to fix it and so can't do an update.
>
> Other folks can do that, you know. All someone needs to do is ask.

Consider this an official asking.

Jason L Tibbitts III 01-06-2009 12:01 PM

Games Spin status

BW> Consider this an official asking.

OK, maybe "all you need to do is ask and provide some details". I
mean, I'd help if I could, but I don't have a clue what needs to be
done.

- J<

Bruno Wolff III 01-06-2009 03:09 PM

Games Spin status

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 07:01:15 -0600,

> BW> Consider this an official asking.
>
> OK, maybe "all you need to do is ask and provide some details". I
> mean, I'd help if I could, but I don't have a clue what needs to be
> done.

Probably the best thing would be to help the maintainer update their key.
(I think that is what is causing them not be able to make the changes.)
Otherwise if you can apply the changes that would at least solve my
problem. The bug (475919) has the changes needed for the spec file in it.

Bruno Wolff III 01-07-2009 02:28 PM

Games Spin status

I have a patch to livecd-creator that switches to using udf when needed,
but otherwise uses iso9660. The version posted to the RFE bug applies
to F10 cleanly, but not F11. But if you play with it on F11 it's clear what
to change.

I have asked to get this applied to F11, but I don't know if that will happen
as I didn't get feedback on the approach yet, so the patch may need to be
reworked.

I haven't asked for my changes to fedora-livedvd-games.ks to be applied yet,
because they won't work without the updates to livecd-creator. If the change
to livecd-creator is done I'll open a bug against spin-kickstarts to get
that changed.

Currently there is a dependency problem with poker2d in F11 that stops
the livecd-creator run. Since the maintainer should be getting daily
messages about the problem, I wasn't planning on filing a bug about it.

I have some more testing for my proposed changes to livecd-creator to do
and should get some coverage of another important case tonight.

Bruno Wolff III 01-20-2009 03:06 AM

Games Spin Status

The Spin SIG meeting was held today and this has a couple of impacts on
the games spin.

For the alpha release it was decided to keep the iso's under 4 GiB. This
will be looked at again before the beta. I took a look at package sizes
and I either needed to get rid of one large game or many other non-game
packages. And at this point removing one game seems like a better option.
The game I have selected to remove for the alpha (pending my spin compose
test coming in under 4 GiB) is openarena. Of the large games it seemed
to be the one that was similar to other games and hence most expendable.

Spins will now not be features. I need to create a spin page with a slightly
different format and move over all of my data from the feature page. This
won't be done tonight, but I will send another update when it is complete
that includes the new URL.

I plan to continue testing livecd-creator patches to allow larger spins
to make sure this feature is in place and provides an option for larger
spins.

I am still having problems with X on F11, which limits the amount of testing
I can do.

Rahul Sundaram 01-20-2009 07:39 AM

Games Spin Status

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

The Spin SIG meeting was held today and this has a couple of impacts on
the games spin.

For the alpha release it was decided to keep the iso's under 4 GiB. This
will be looked at again before the beta. I took a look at package sizes
and I either needed to get rid of one large game or many other non-game
packages. And at this point removing one game seems like a better option.
The game I have selected to remove for the alpha (pending my spin compose
test coming in under 4 GiB) is openarena. Of the large games it seemed
to be the one that was similar to other games and hence most expendable.

Openarena is one of the few truly free and open source 3D shooters on
relatively recent engine. It is also quite popular. Which ones are you
comparing it too?

Rahul

Jeroen van Meeuwen 01-20-2009 08:28 AM

Games Spin Status

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

The Spin SIG meeting was held today and this has a couple of impacts on
the games spin.

For the alpha release it was decided to keep the iso's under 4 GiB. This
will be looked at again before the beta. I took a look at package sizes
and I either needed to get rid of one large game or many other non-game
packages. And at this point removing one game seems like a better option.
The game I have selected to remove for the alpha (pending my spin compose
test coming in under 4 GiB) is openarena. Of the large games it seemed
to be the one that was similar to other games and hence most expendable.

A new version of livecd-tools was built yesterday, 021-1, and it has the
patch for supporting UDF in it.

Spins will now not be features. I need to create a spin page with a slightly
different format and move over all of my data from the feature page. This
won't be done tonight, but I will send another update when it is complete
that includes the new URL.

I plan to continue testing livecd-creator patches to allow larger spins
to make sure this feature is in place and provides an option for larger
spins.

I am still having problems with X on F11, which limits the amount of testing
I can do.

(side-note)

This can be a dependency for the Games Spin, as obviously most games
need X to work properly.

(/side-note)

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

Guido 01-20-2009 11:21 AM

Games Spin Status

Battle of Wesnoth
FlightGear
Hedgewar
Tremulous
Alien Arena

You can see some games in DJL. Is an app about news and release of
lots linux games.

Bruno Wolff III 01-20-2009 02:20 PM

Games Spin Status

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 14:09:12 +0530,
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> The Spin SIG meeting was held today and this has a couple of impacts on
>> the games spin.
>>
>> For the alpha release it was decided to keep the iso's under 4 GiB. This
>> will be looked at again before the beta. I took a look at package sizes
>> and I either needed to get rid of one large game or many other non-game
>> packages. And at this point removing one game seems like a better option.
>> The game I have selected to remove for the alpha (pending my spin compose
>> test coming in under 4 GiB) is openarena. Of the large games it seemed
>> to be the one that was similar to other games and hence most expendable.
>
> Openarena is one of the few truly free and open source 3D shooters on
> relatively recent engine. It is also quite popular. Which ones are you
> comparing it too?

I needed to drop about 160 MB from the iso. I got a list of the installed
rpms and sorted them by size. Everything above about 10 or 20 MB was a
game or a dependency of a game. Trying to remove stuff that wasn't a game
but pulled in as part of the desktop was going to require removing at least
10 packages and whatever depended on them. Most likely it would have ended
up being many smaller packages. Of the top games in size it appeared to
be less unique than some others. I also had the option to remove several
smaller games, but that also seemed like a bad option.

I don't have the sorted package list handy, but I'll look at sending out
the top part of the list so people can comment on it.

I think a better approach is convincing the Spins SIG that the benefit of
being able to go to 4.7 GB as more important than the cost of going over
4 GiB.

Bruno Wolff III 01-20-2009 02:28 PM

Games Spin Status

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:28:58 +0100,
Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip@kanarip.com> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> A new version of livecd-tools was built yesterday, 021-1, and it has the
> patch for supporting UDF in it.

Thanks, I look for it. I have been testing stuff in the git repo, but
koji is easier.

>> I am still having problems with X on F11, which limits the amount of testing
>> I can do.
>>

> This can be a dependency for the Games Spin, as obviously most games
> need X to work properly.

This is probably somewhat specific to my hardware otherwise there would
be a lot of screaming. Airlie is pretty busy right now with his new kid,
though he did do an F10 kernel build with graphics related changes last
night, and old ATI hardware isn't his highest priority.

Mostly I have been working on testing the builds and getting bugs that
block building and that affect games reported.

It would be nice to have people here try out the alpha spin when it is ready
and file bugs about problems. You can cc me in the bugs to make it easier
for me to track things. I'll do some limited jaw boning for ones that aren't
getting fixed and appear to be important.