Old 12-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Games Spin status

Things have been moving slowly getting ready for rawhide testing. I wanted to
relayout my disks and get both rawhide and F10 resinstalled. There is still
more more to do with this. I expect to be testing on rawhide on Wednesday
the 31st.

The first thing I will be doing after I have a working rawhide install is
confirming fixes for the dependencies bugs that I filed and have new updates.
I think most of them have been fixed. In one case the maintainer's key
doesn't work any more and they don't know how to proceed. (This is bug
475919, if someone here can help them out.)

Assuming no new problems show up, I'll move on to working on extending
my patches to livecd-tools for switching to udf when the squashfs file
system reaches 4GiB. I am off this week, so I think I'll have a good
chance of having something (a patch for livecd-tools) reviewable by the end
of this weekend (the 4th).

The Spins SIG still needs to work on what the policy will be for Spins.
(So that the Feature Wrangler can properly evaluate the feature.)
I don't expect this to be a problem, but if something ends up needing
to absolutely done by the alpha there could be a problem.

If the spin's squashfs file system still fits under 4GiB, then I don't
think should be a problem having a spin available for the alpha. (Though
I am not sure how that is going to work procedurely.) If it is over
4GiB, then it will depend on having an update applied to livecd-tools before
the alpha. I may not have an acceptable patch by that time. This potentially
could also hit a policy issue regarding whether or not spins can use
udf even if they still fit on a DVD as that may limit the hardware they
can be used on. (I wouldn't expect their to be many systems that can boot
off a DVD, that couldn't also use udf.)

Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Bruno Wolff III

I have finshed changing the partition layout on my home machine, so that will
be less of a distraction. I have both F10 and F11 instances available for
testing.

I didn't get as far as I would have liked with the livecd-creator patches.
I have a pretty good idea how I want to implement things and I just need
to figure out a little bit of python in order to be able to fully test
my approach (only on the i686 arch). This will probably be done in the
next day or two. If it works, I'll ask to get the changes committed in rawhide.

The squashfs image size is now going just over 4 GiB on both F10 and F11.
So either we need to make some cuts or the livecd-creator changes need to
be accepted and the Spins group OK using UDF for a DVD Spin that will still
fit on a DVD.

I am still seeing install errors for 3 games. 1 is fixed in current rawhide
and will be removed from the list tonight. One is a post install error
that probably isn't a problem other than the error message itself. The last
is a preinstall script failure and my actually cause a problem.

I am also still seeing an install error for the solar plugin.

A new game "spring" is being reviewed. If this is a good game to add to
the spin, someone should advocate for it once it is available in rawhide.

There were some font dependency issues in rawhide for about a week, but I am
pretty sure this has been fixed for all of the games in the spin now.

I don't believe the feature wrangler has had a chance to deal with the games
feature request yet. There is a dependency on the Spins SIG having a policy
in place to use for F11. So I don't expect the Games Spin Feature to come
up for approval at the next FESCO meeting (the 7th). I saw some hints that
there may be some progress with the policy at Fudcon, so maybe it will get
done in the next couple of weeks.

I think there is still a reasonable chance to get the livecd-creator changes
ready in time to allow for a games spin to be built for the alpha release
without cutting anything out. But it is getting very close, as changing
it right before the alpha release wouldn't be a good idea.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Hans de Goede

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

I have finshed changing the partition layout on my home machine, so that will
be less of a distraction. I have both F10 and F11 instances available for
testing.

<snip>

I just wanted to say I think what you are doing is awesome and that I'm fully
reading each and every status report (I don't want you to think the silence
means no one cares).

Keep up the good work and let me know if / when you need any testing (or other
help)!

Regards,

Hans

Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Michael Thomas

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
[...]
> I am still seeing install errors for 3 games. 1 is fixed in current rawhide
> and will be removed from the list tonight. One is a post install error
> that probably isn't a problem other than the error message itself. The last
> is a preinstall script failure and my actually cause a problem.

Which games still give you install errors? Do you have BZ #'s for them?

--Wart

Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:37:04 -0800,
Michael Thomas <wart@kobold.org> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> [...]
> > I am still seeing install errors for 3 games. 1 is fixed in current rawhide
> > and will be removed from the list tonight. One is a post install error
> > that probably isn't a problem other than the error message itself. The last
> > is a preinstall script failure and my actually cause a problem.
>
> Which games still give you install errors? Do you have BZ #'s for them?

nethack and nethack-vultures. The maintainer of nethack-vultures looked at
the problem but has a problem with their key and doesn't know how to fix
it and so can't do an update. My guess is that they didn't get a new key
after the problem this past summer. nethack-vultures is also the package
with the preinstall script issue, which I am worried might cause a real
problem. (Don't worry about the entry for 'escape'. I am just leaving that
until I verify the fix.)

I have links to all of the bugzilla's on the feature page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GamesSpin

Old 01-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Jason L Tibbitts III

BW> nethack and nethack-vultures. The maintainer of nethack-vultures
BW> looked at the problem but has a problem with their key and doesn't
BW> know how to fix it and so can't do an update.

Other folks can do that, you know. All someone needs to do is ask.

- J<