Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 AM
John Arntz

Default Bootscreen

Hello,
Since this is my first post on here, let me introduce myself. I'm John Arntz, I joined this list b/c I was interested in suggesting/packaging games for Fedora. I'm not an IT professional, nor have a strong programming background, but I do love Linux and want to see good quality games on Fedora. I have made my own RPM's for my own use, but I would probably need a bit of help if I ever wanted to undertake making a game package good enough for official release. When I do try, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

I did have a comment on the topic of the Bootscreen Discussion:

>> I got the boot screen with the colored bars across the bottom of the screen.
>> Isn't the solar plymouth plugin supposed to do something nicer during
>> bootup?

I'm running the full x86_64 installation with a NVidia 7950 and I too only get the bar on the bottom when I boot. Looked to try to make sure that the right RPM's were installed for it, it looks like I do, but I am still getting just the bar. I have not tried a standard i386 install or a live CD for F10 yet, so I don't have anything else to compare to.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:48 AM
Rahul Sundaram

John Arntz wrote:

Hello,
Since this is my first post on here, let me introduce myself. I'm John Arntz, I joined this list b/c I was interested in suggesting/packaging games for Fedora. I'm not an IT professional, nor have a strong programming background, but I do love Linux and want to see good quality games on Fedora. I have made my own RPM's for my own use, but I would probably need a bit of help if I ever wanted to undertake making a game package good enough for official release. When I do try, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

I did have a comment on the topic of the Bootscreen Discussion:

I got the boot screen with the colored bars across the bottom of the screen.
Isn't the solar plymouth plugin supposed to do something nicer during
bootup?

Try vga=ask in the grub boot prompt and select a mode which makes
Plymouth use framebuffer. This doesn't make it flicker free but you will
get a nicer progress screen.

Rahul