Old 12-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Games Spin Update

Hi,

Just a quick note that I sending over the kickstart file at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games/GamesLive

to release engineering shortly for a games spin update. If there any
changes needed, do let me know. I will working on a Live CD variant next.

Rahul

Old 12-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 00:53:10 +0530,
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick note that I sending over the kickstart file at
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games/GamesLive
>
> to release engineering shortly for a games spin update. If there any
> changes needed, do let me know. I will working on a Live CD variant next.

Thanks for the post. I will be using it for my Games Spin attempt using
Unity's installer and the latest updates (including updates-testing if
it seems to work) that I plan to give out as Christmas Presents.
I also noted that uqm is now on the list and I won't need to add it manually
(assuming it pulls in the optional parts).

Old 12-24-2007, 04:27 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

I also noted that uqm is now on the list and I won't need to add it manually
(assuming it pulls in the optional parts).

It won't pull in the optional packages, uqm-content-3domusic and
uqm-content-voice. I can add them manually to the kickstart file if it
improves the game experience considerably. Both these packages combined
occupy around 125 MB in the repository.

Rahul

Old 12-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 10:57:40 +0530,
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >I also noted that uqm is now on the list and I won't need to add it
> >manually
> >(assuming it pulls in the optional parts).
>
> It won't pull in the optional packages, uqm-content-3domusic and
> uqm-content-voice. I can add them manually to the kickstart file if it
> improves the game experience considerably. Both these packages combined
> occupy around 125 MB in the repository.

I'd recommend adding uqm-content-voice. That way when you talk to beings,
you get an audio of what they are saying as when as the displayed text.
The voices actually add some nice color to the game. uqm-content-3domusic
isn't really a big deal since that is just alternate music. If space is
a concern that can be dropped without too much effect.

Thanks.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 10:57:40 +0530,
I also noted that uqm is now on the list and I won't need to add it
manually

(assuming it pulls in the optional parts).

It won't pull in the optional packages, uqm-content-3domusic and
uqm-content-voice. I can add them manually to the kickstart file if it
improves the game experience considerably. Both these packages combined
occupy around 125 MB in the repository.

I'd recommend adding uqm-content-voice. That way when you talk to beings,
you get an audio of what they are saying as when as the displayed text.
The voices actually add some nice color to the game. uqm-content-3domusic
isn't really a big deal since that is just alternate music. If space is
a concern that can be dropped without too much effect.

uqm-content-voice is over 100 MB. I am adding to the kickstart file for
now. If space becomes a problem, we might have to reconsider this. I
have been talking to rel-eng already and they feel that me or the games
SIG should be able to vouch for the quality of the release. I will do a
local spin with the changes and test it and we will probably do a
initial beta release, publish a test matrix and then get some feedback
before doing a general respin update. Stay tuned.

Rahul

Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Bruno Wolff III

I have been bugging people to try to get info on what I need to do to get
a Games Spin published as part of the alpha release.
If necessary I'll temporarily drop a couple of games in order to have
a working kickstart file for the alpha release. (Either to keep broken
packages, such as poker2d, out of the kickstart file or to get below the 4 GiB
limit if my livecd-creator patch isn't in rawhide in time for the alpha
release.)

I was able to test the livecd-creator patch on a spin that was under the
4 GiB limit and it also seemed to work. So I am pretty much just waiting
for review there.

I ended up filing a bug for poker2d about the dependency issue triggered
by the upgrade of poker-network.

I plan on doing a change request bug for the kickstart file tonight. Things
are getting close enough that I want to start things moving their. The current
kickstart file is broken in F11 anyway as it doesn't pull in a display
manager since it is based of the base spin instead of the desktop spin.

It would be nice if someone could work on either the nethack-vultures or
poker2d bugs. The nethack-vultures one is easy and pretty much any maintainer
could take care of it.

As usual, pretty much everything I have been putting in these status reports
is also being tracked (with links to all of the related bugzilla entries) on
the proposed feature page at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GamesSpin

Old 01-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Bruno Wolff III

The rawhide update last night was pretty good and I was able to retest the
dependencies bugs. The good news there is that we are down to just nethack
(not nethack-vultures which got fixed). The bad news is that I looked at the
scripts for nethack, and they involve setting up links to font directories.
So this is a bug that appears to have more impact than just an error message
and would be nice to get fixed.

X in F11 hasn't been working for me for about a week now. I don't really
need it for the build testing, but for making sure the build does more
than boot, I could use a graphical display. (Actually X has been broken
a lot longer than that, but I apply a patch locally to force the ati
driver to acknowledge the existance of the LCD which doesn't do EDID
correctly. Normally that gets me by, but now something else is broken.)

I updated the kickstart file in the git repository and it should make its
way into rawhide soon.

The livecd-tools update is also in the git repository and rel-eng might
use that copy to do the spin. (Also note the F10 version of livecd-tools
has a higher NVR than the F11 version.)

The 4 GiB stuff is still up in the air. I'd like to try > 4 GiB for the
alpha and if there are a lot of problems switch back for the beta. I'll
need to get a backup kickstart file ready in case the Spins SIG says stay
under 4 GiB.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:39 AM
Bruno Wolff III

I think ks file is in its final form pending new problems.

My experiment in removing evolution and ligweather failed. They have too
much desktop stuff dependent on them to pull out.

I made a couple of corrections for packages that had been obsoleted.
poker2d-kde was obsoleted by poker2d which was already in the spin.
ksirk was obsoleted by kdegames which was not included, but was getting
pulled in. I did not really want all of kdegames, so ksirk has been dropped.

I also dropped bsd-games which pulled in a bunch of text based games, which
really isn't the focus of the spin. Rogue and nethack (probably the best
text based games) are still in and can be started from the games menu.

I have a reasonable Games Spin page now and have moved it to Spin Ready
For Wrangler, to get it looked at before going before the Spins SIG.

Current breathing room is 90 MB for i686 and 80 MB for x86_64.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Michael Thomas

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I think ks file is in its final form pending new problems.
>
> My experiment in removing evolution and ligweather failed. They have too
> much desktop stuff dependent on them to pull out.
>
> I made a couple of corrections for packages that had been obsoleted.
> poker2d-kde was obsoleted by poker2d which was already in the spin.
> ksirk was obsoleted by kdegames which was not included, but was getting
> pulled in. I did not really want all of kdegames, so ksirk has been dropped.
>
> I also dropped bsd-games which pulled in a bunch of text based games, which
> really isn't the focus of the spin. Rogue and nethack (probably the best
> text based games) are still in and can be started from the games menu.

I think this is unfortunate, especially considering that there still
appears to be enough room to include bsd-games.

> I have a reasonable Games Spin page now and have moved it to Spin Ready
> For Wrangler, to get it looked at before going before the Spins SIG.
>
> Current breathing room is 90 MB for i686 and 80 MB for x86_64.

--Mike

Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:46:53 -0800,
Michael Thomas <wart@kobold.org> wrote:

> > I also dropped bsd-games which pulled in a bunch of text based games, which
> > really isn't the focus of the spin. Rogue and nethack (probably the best
> > text based games) are still in and can be started from the games menu.
>
> I think this is unfortunate, especially considering that there still
> appears to be enough room to include bsd-games.

I don't think bsd-games fits the purpose of the spin. They aren't going to
be that easy to find and not really very impressive. While some old timers
might want to play them, those aren't the people we are targetting. Old
timers are more likely to be running Fedora and be able to install whichever
games they want.

The target for this spin is people who aren't already running Fedora.
What we don't want to happen is have people semi-randomly pick games to try,
find a couple of duds and give up on linux based games.