FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Games

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Games Spin update

Bruno Wolff III wrote:



The target for this spin is people who aren't already running Fedora.
What we don't want to happen is have people semi-randomly pick games to try,
find a couple of duds and give up on linux based games.


You might want to define this target somewhere prominently. In the past,
it has merely been a loose collection of games without any real debate
about the audience.


Rahul

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default Games Spin update

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 03:55:46 +0530,
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
>>
>> The target for this spin is people who aren't already running Fedora.
>> What we don't want to happen is have people semi-randomly pick games to try,
>> find a couple of duds and give up on linux based games.
>
> You might want to define this target somewhere prominently. In the past,
> it has merely been a loose collection of games without any real debate
> about the audience.

A required part of the spin page was the benefit to Fedora. I am currently
using the following text there:
I think a games spin is more likely to get people to try it out than most other spins. As such it makes it a nice candidate for being handed out at events focusing on introducing people to Fedora. While the games are not going to be impressive for hard core gamers, there is a nice variety that is likely to have something of interest for most people. A liveusb based on the spin could be even better as that allows people to play their games on other people's computers while keeping their saved games and high score lists with them.

I really think just making a spin with a loose collection of games is kind of
pointless. It would be better to just make sure that all games were tagged
as being in Amusements/Games so that people can get a list of them and install
them or make thier own spin (which is pretty easy these days). I think for
a spin to be prominently featured by Fedora it really should have a purpose.

Certainly other people are free to take things in another direction for F12
if they want. I just kind of got sucked into this by asking questions about
some breakage when trying to build the spin. All that's been fixed now and I
am way past what I needed in order to make spins to hand out to friends and
family.

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 03-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default Games Spin update

The Games Spin was approved at today's Spin SIG meeting.

I plan to go through each listed game and make sure that they are playable.
I won't go through to the end, but they should at least be playable for
a little while without crashing or having other really bad stuff happening.
I plan to make some notes about each game as I tested to provide instructions
for QA. I still need to learn how to do create the test case pages.

If I run across games that only function if you first download data from
a third party web site, I'll most likely to drop them. If I make enough
space doing this (which seems unlikely), I'll add openarena back.

I am in the process of getting machines updated after the mass rebuild.
(This has been going slow because of skip broken not working when their
are a lot of packages messed up by a dependency problem or if there are
file conflicts.) And won't get to testing individual games until after
this has been completed, which won't be for a couple of days.

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Games Spin update

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

The Games Spin was approved at today's Spin SIG meeting.

I plan to go through each listed game and make sure that they are playable.
I won't go through to the end, but they should at least be playable for
a little while without crashing or having other really bad stuff happening.
I plan to make some notes about each game as I tested to provide instructions
for QA. I still need to learn how to do create the test case pages.

If I run across games that only function if you first download data from
a third party web site, I'll most likely to drop them. If I make enough
space doing this (which seems unlikely), I'll add openarena back.


Quick hint: If the games require additional data to download, they will
depend on autodownloader. You can just query that to filter them out.


Rahul

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default Games Spin update

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 23:48:26 +0530,
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> Quick hint: If the games require additional data to download, they will
> depend on autodownloader. You can just query that to filter them out.

Thanks! That will let me go through the possibles list first and I'd prefer
to get any package changes done sonner rather than later.

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org