Old 12-11-2008, 02:19 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Games Spin status update

I was able to get the games spin to boot but there was a significant
problem. X never appeared to start. There was no Xorg.0.log file. The
console had signal but was black. I could get into vts though. I tried
telinit 5 and some services changed, suggesting the I didn' come up
in runlevel 5 which is also suspicious.

Other minor issues.

There were a lot of log messages for prefdm. (I am not sure of the exact
spelling.) Apparently that program was getting run repeatedly and it
was dying.

Netmanager appeared to slow down the boot somewhat waiting for DHCP
a DHCP server.

I got the boot screen with the colored bars accross the bottom of the screen.
Isn't the solar plymouth plugin supposed to do something nicer during
bootup?

Old 12-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Hans de Goede

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

I was able to get the games spin to boot but there was a significant
problem. X never appeared to start. There was no Xorg.0.log file. The
console had signal but was black. I could get into vts though. I tried
telinit 5 and some services changed, suggesting the I didn' come up
in runlevel 5 which is also suspicious.

Other minor issues.

There were a lot of log messages for prefdm. (I am not sure of the exact
spelling.) Apparently that program was getting run repeatedly and it
was dying.

Netmanager appeared to slow down the boot somewhat waiting for DHCP
a DHCP server.

I got the boot screen with the colored bars accross the bottom of the screen.
Isn't the solar plymouth plugin supposed to do something nicer during
bootup?

Only on ati r3xx - r5xx based cards. There have been a lot of X changes in
F-10, does the regular Fedora 10 livecd run properly on that system ?

Regards,

Hans

Old 12-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 08:38:20 +0100,
Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>
>> I got the boot screen with the colored bars accross the bottom of the screen.
>> Isn't the solar plymouth plugin supposed to do something nicer during
>> bootup?
>
> Only on ati r3xx - r5xx based cards. There have been a lot of X changes
> in F-10, does the regular Fedora 10 livecd run properly on that system ?

I need to reboot my machine at work today anyway for a kernel update, so I'll
have a nice opportunity to see if solar works there.
I won't be able to test the livecd at home until very late today and maybe
not until tomorrow. So I might not have feedback on that for a while.

I did check that xorg and gnome packages were installed.

And on a related note, I filed about a dozen bugs last night against packages
that didn't have proper prerequisites for scripts and that were getting errors
during the livecd-creator run for the games spin.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 08:38:20 +0100,
Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:

>> I got the boot screen with the colored bars accross the bottom of the screen.
>> Isn't the solar plymouth plugin supposed to do something nicer during
>> bootup?
>
> Only on ati r3xx - r5xx based cards. There have been a lot of X changes
> in F-10, does the regular Fedora 10 livecd run properly on that system ?

I tried it on an r5xx card and got the same thing. I haven't seen the real
solaris so maybe it is doing the right thing and I was just expecting more.

Still no X, a slow boot and prefdm respawning fast enough to get warnings about
it.

I'll grab the normal livecd and see how that works in a day or so.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 11:34 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 08:38:20 +0100,
> Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:
> >>
> >> I got the boot screen with the colored bars accross the bottom of the screen.
> >> Isn't the solar plymouth plugin supposed to do something nicer during
> >> bootup?
> >
> > Only on ati r3xx - r5xx based cards. There have been a lot of X changes
> > in F-10, does the regular Fedora 10 livecd run properly on that system ?
>
> I tried it on an r5xx card and got the same thing. I haven't seen the real
> solaris so maybe it is doing the right thing and I was just expecting more.
>
> Still no X, a slow boot and prefdm respawning fast enough to get warnings about
> it.
>
> I'll grab the normal livecd and see how that works in a day or so.

The pretty Solar plugin never works on the F10 livecd. This is expected
behavior, due to the fact that we didn't have time to work out a clean
way for the livecd to load the DRM kernel modules necessary for Kernel
ModeSetting to kick in at boot. KMS does load on the livecd, but not
before plymouth starts (it loads once the livecd mounts the root
filesystem and udev loads the DRM modules).

~spot

Old 12-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:34:16 -0600,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

> I'll grab the normal livecd and see how that works in a day or so.

I tried out the livecd and while I did have an expected problem with the
ATI driver (My monitor isn't detected and output is sent to the wrong
connector. I patch my driver to work around this.) things worked better
otherwise. There was an Xorg.0.log file indicating that X had started and
I was not getting numerous messages about prefdm.

I am going to try another build today. Maybe with some updates for the
dbus issue things will work better. Also some fixes are in for the
depency issues I was seeing and I hope to see fewer errors there.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 11:22:46 -0600,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

> I am going to try another build today. Maybe with some updates for the
> dbus issue things will work better. Also some fixes are in for the
> depency issues I was seeing and I hope to see fewer errors there.

I learned that prefdm is what runs an appropiate display manager. So
this script failing is why I am not getting X started. I suspect that
no display manager was installed and that is why the script is failing.
As a hack, I am going to try adding gdm to the games kickstart file
and see if that fixes things. If it does we can discuss the correct
fix. I won't be able to finish testing this until late tonight or tomorrow
as I need to leave before I will be able to complete this.

I also plan on looking into what is limiting things to 4GB. So far I have
found that it isn't supposed to be a squashfs limit, so I think eventually
we can get another 400 MB to give a bit of breathing room.

I was also just thinking about how this might work with live usb devices
and persistent overlays. It might be cool to carry around a usb drive
that not only allows you to play games on other computers, but to also
allow you to set and keep preferences and to be able to save games.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Bruno Wolff III

I plan on switching my home machine over to rawhide in about a week and
then will switch the games spin testing over to rawhide.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:04 AM
Bruno Wolff III

The spin I made this evening sort of worked. Unlike previously, X did
start. However the X display did not work. This may be due to a problem
with my monitor. I have a work around that normally works, but perhaps
didn't for some reason on the live dvd.

A new issue I missed is that something tries to run gnome-power-manager,
but gnome-power-manager didn't appear to be included.

So I need advice on how gdm (or some other dm) and gnome-power-manager
should get added to the spin. Is there a dependency missing, group
membership missing, should they be added to the live-base or games
kickstart files?

Otherwise dropping starfighter, vdrift and uqm seem to have solved the
space problem. Things are pretty tight so its possible changes in other
things could put the spin back over. Until I switch over to rawhide,
I will be spending time trying to raise the limit from 4GiB to 4.7GB.

In a week or so I will try playing with this in rawhide.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 14:44:05 -0600,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

> I also plan on looking into what is limiting things to 4GB. So far I have
> found that it isn't supposed to be a squashfs limit, so I think eventually
> we can get another 400 MB to give a bit of breathing room.

File /home/livecd/tmp/imgcreate-TGRW6v/iso-f10vWq/LiveOS/squashfs.img is larger than 4GiB-1.
-allow-limited-size was not specified. There is no way do represent this file size. Aborting.

This looks to be a mkisofs/genisoimage error message, though the man page says
that the limit should be 2GiB, not the 4GiB referenced in the error message.
There is a way to handle that, but I am not sure if that will cause problems.
If things are already running linux by the time that file is referenced
then maybe using -allow-limited-size might work.
I'll look at testing that if I can figure out how to pass that option.
Another approach would be to split the file system into two files. That would
be significantly more work and may not be worth it for only a small gain on
DVDs. (Though with liveusb images becoming popular going over 4GB might
have more demand.)