-   Fedora Games (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/)
-   -   Making a games spin? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/204385-making-games-spin.html)

Bruno Wolff III 12-02-2008 03:11 PM

Making a games spin?

I saw there were some problems making a games spin, but I wasn't sure
what the underlying cause was. If I want to make a live games DVD using
livecd-creator and the games kickstart file (possibly with some changes)
should I expect problems?

Hans de Goede 12-03-2008 07:17 AM

Making a games spin?

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

I saw there were some problems making a games spin, but I wasn't sure
what the underlying cause was. If I want to make a live games DVD using
livecd-creator and the games kickstart file (possibly with some changes)
should I expect problems?

Not really, the resulting iso might be to large in which case you need to drop
some packages, or you might run out of "disk" space, in which case you need to
change the size of the / fs in the .ks file.

If you're planning on doing this anyways it would be great if you could perhaps
become the maintainer of an official Fedora Games spin?

We would really like to see such a spin, but are short on manpower to realize
it. (even though it should not be too much work).

Regards,

Hans

Bruno Wolff III 12-03-2008 02:32 PM

Making a games spin?

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 09:17:04 +0100,
Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> I saw there were some problems making a games spin, but I wasn't sure
>> what the underlying cause was. If I want to make a live games DVD using
>> livecd-creator and the games kickstart file (possibly with some changes)
>> should I expect problems?
>>

> Not really, the resulting iso might be to large in which case you need to
> drop some packages, or you might run out of "disk" space, in which case
> you need to change the size of the / fs in the .ks file.

Yes it was, but just barely and checking on the smallest of the possible
12cm DVD maximum sizes suggests that I can make the filesystem enough
larger for it to fit. I am testing 8800 now. Previously it was 8000.
And it looks like the max is 4700000000/1024/512 = 8964.
I'll see if the build has worked shortly, but won't be able to test the
resulting iso until tonight.

> If you're planning on doing this anyways it would be great if you could
> perhaps become the maintainer of an official Fedora Games spin?

We'll see. In principle I am willing to do it, but I want to make sure
I am qualified. If I actually get it to work, I'll ask about details.
I have access to i386 and x86_64 systems for doing builds. If we need
both. Though I think for a livedvd i386 is probably good enough for the
PC world. I don't have access to other architectures.

I already noticed the kickstart file still refers to starfighter which
seems to have been dropped. I'll file a bug on that after I double
check things.

> We would really like to see such a spin, but are short on manpower to
> realize it. (even though it should not be too much work).

Yeah, I saw the notes about that, but what worried me wasn't that I didn't
fully grok what they were talking about. If it was just that it needed
about 4.1 GB instead of 4GB, then I'm probably OK, because I am seeing
and attempting to fix that.

Hans de Goede 12-03-2008 03:09 PM

Making a games spin?

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

<snip>

If you're planning on doing this anyways it would be great if you could
perhaps become the maintainer of an official Fedora Games spin?

We'll see. In principle I am willing to do it, but I want to make sure
I am qualified. If I actually get it to work, I'll ask about details.
I have access to i386 and x86_64 systems for doing builds. If we need
both. Though I think for a livedvd i386 is probably good enough for the
PC world. I don't have access to other architectures.

I already noticed the kickstart file still refers to starfighter which
seems to have been dropped. I'll file a bug on that after I double
check things.

That was removed because of legal reasons, which as of yet are not resolved,
just drop it from the list.

And you may also want do drop vdrift if its in there as it is broken with all
FOSS opengl drivers (iow only works with the blobs).

We would really like to see such a spin, but are short on manpower to
realize it. (even though it should not be too much work).

Yeah, I saw the notes about that, but what worried me wasn't that I didn't
fully grok what they were talking about. If it was just that it needed
about 4.1 GB instead of 4GB, then I'm probably OK, because I am seeing
and attempting to fix that.

Its mostly things like this and adding new cool games as they get packaged (and
dropping less cool ones to make space I guess). The biggest problem is that
doing test builds to see if things fit (and there are no errors causing the
build to fail) take a lot of time. If you are willing to do that I'm sure they
are plenty of people around willing to help if you hit any issues you cannot
solve yourself, including the Spins SIG.

Regards,

Hans

Bruno Wolff III 12-03-2008 03:15 PM

Making a games spin?

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 17:09:44 +0100,
Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:

> And you may also want do drop vdrift if its in there as it is broken with
> all FOSS opengl drivers (iow only works with the blobs).

I'll check.

> Its mostly things like this and adding new cool games as they get
> packaged (and dropping less cool ones to make space I guess). The biggest
> problem is that doing test builds to see if things fit (and there are no
> errors causing the build to fail) take a lot of time. If you are willing
> to do that I'm sure they are plenty of people around willing to help if
> you hit any issues you cannot solve yourself, including the Spins SIG.

I'll commit to trying to build one for F10 + F10-Updates as I want to
have one to give out to some people for Christmas. If I get it to work
I expect to be able to build them for rawhide before releases as I usually
start tracking rawhide around the alpha release.

The build that was running failed. There was a complaint about the size
of the squashfs file system being over 4GB. This looks odd as the number
of blocks suggests that the filesystem should have been around 2GB before
compression. I'll look into this and see if I can figure it out.

There were also yum errors for scripts that couldn't find programs (e.g. touch)
that they needed and I have asked on fedora-list for help with what to
file bugs against.

Bruno Wolff III 12-04-2008 03:57 PM

Making a games spin?

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 17:09:44 +0100,
Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:

> Its mostly things like this and adding new cool games as they get
> packaged (and dropping less cool ones to make space I guess). The biggest
> problem is that doing test builds to see if things fit (and there are no
> errors causing the build to fail) take a lot of time. If you are willing
> to do that I'm sure they are plenty of people around willing to help if
> you hit any issues you cannot solve yourself, including the Spins SIG.

Is getting back as a spin going to require going through the "Feature"
process? That would impose some deadlines I would have to keep an eye on.

Rahul Sundaram 12-04-2008 04:33 PM

Making a games spin?

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 17:09:44 +0100,
Its mostly things like this and adding new cool games as they get
packaged (and dropping less cool ones to make space I guess). The biggest
problem is that doing test builds to see if things fit (and there are no
errors causing the build to fail) take a lot of time. If you are willing
to do that I'm sure they are plenty of people around willing to help if
you hit any issues you cannot solve yourself, including the Spins SIG.

Is getting back as a spin going to require going through the "Feature"
process? That would impose some deadlines I would have to keep an eye on.

Jesse Keating said he wanted that to happen for Fedora 11 in the last
Fedora Board IRC meeting. So I guess the answer is yes. I can help you
with that.

Rahul

Bruno Wolff III 12-04-2008 07:21 PM

Making a games spin?

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 23:03:42 +0530,
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Jesse Keating said he wanted that to happen for Fedora 11 in the last
> Fedora Board IRC meeting. So I guess the answer is yes. I can help you
> with that.

That should be OK. The main thing is to establish that I can get it to work.
I just need to watch the deadlines for the feature stuff so I can get
feature documentation and a test plan in.

Rahul Sundaram 12-04-2008 07:32 PM

Making a games spin?

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 23:03:42 +0530,
Jesse Keating said he wanted that to happen for Fedora 11 in the last
Fedora Board IRC meeting. So I guess the answer is yes. I can help you
with that.

That should be OK. The main thing is to establish that I can get it to work.
I just need to watch the deadlines for the feature stuff so I can get
feature documentation and a test plan in.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2008-December/msg00006.html
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GamesSpin

Rahul

Bruno Wolff III 12-10-2008 01:07 PM

Making a games spin?

I have some testing to do, but it looks like removing vdrift and the uqm
packages got the size down to where things worked. The iso is now coming in at:
1986546 extents written (3879 MB)

If you try to reproduce this avoid yum-3.2.20-4 as there appears to be a
problem with obsoletes. I used yum-3.2.20-5 to do the build.
I used mirrors of F10 Everything, Updates and Updates-testing for the build.

I am not sure what was limiting things to 4GiB instead of 4.7GB. Since
we are really close to that limit I'll do a bit of investigation there
after seeing if the livedvd actually works as expected.