Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 AM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

Default uqm-content licensing problem

Hi guys,

While doing the license tag cleanup, I came across uqm-content, which
was marked "Distributable", but when I dug into it, the actual license
is Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike.

http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/The_Ur-Quan_Masters_Project_FAQ#Under_what_license_is_the _game_released.3F

The NonCommercial part is the problem.

Unless someone here has documentation showing that the UQM upstream has
given us permission to distribute these content files under a different
(acceptable to Fedora) license, I'm going to have to block this package
in F10.

Since the game itself is fine, it looks like we'll need to set it up to
autodownload the content (and quickly).

~spot

Old 09-09-2008, 05:22 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 23:15:31 -0400,
Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> While doing the license tag cleanup, I came across uqm-content, which
> was marked "Distributable", but when I dug into it, the actual license
> is Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike.
>
> http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/The_Ur-Quan_Masters_Project_FAQ#Under_what_license_is_the _game_released.3F
>
> The NonCommercial part is the problem.
>
> Unless someone here has documentation showing that the UQM upstream has
> given us permission to distribute these content files under a different
> (acceptable to Fedora) license, I'm going to have to block this package
> in F10.

I looked around and it seems the original authors don't want the game data used
commercially. I didn't find anything indicating their stance had changed
recently.

> Since the game itself is fine, it looks like we'll need to set it up to
> autodownload the content (and quickly).

It should also get pulled from the live games cd as there is little point in
having it there if you need to make a large download to play it.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Hans de Goede

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

Hi guys,

<snip>

Since the game itself is fine, it looks like we'll need to set it up to
autodownload the content (and quickly).

If anyone needs any help setting up the autodownloader stuff let me
know, take a look at bolzplatz2006 for a game currently in Fedora which
has the exact same problem and how it uses autodownloader.

Regards,

Hans

Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
"Konstantin Ryabitsev"

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:29 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:
>> Since the game itself is fine, it looks like we'll need to set it up to
>> autodownload the content (and quickly).
>>

> If anyone needs any help setting up the autodownloader stuff let me know,
> take a look at bolzplatz2006 for a game currently in Fedora which has the
> exact same problem and how it uses autodownloader.

I took over this package when another maintainer went AWOL, so this is
as news to me as it is to you. Hans: if you can offer some help, I'd
really appreciate it. Do I need to give you access to the package in
cvs?

Cheers,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Montréal, Québec

Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Hans de Goede

Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

Since the game itself is fine, it looks like we'll need to set it up to
autodownload the content (and quickly).

If anyone needs any help setting up the autodownloader stuff let me know,
take a look at bolzplatz2006 for a game currently in Fedora which has the
exact same problem and how it uses autodownloader.

I took over this package when another maintainer went AWOL, so this is
as news to me as it is to you. Hans: if you can offer some help, I'd
really appreciate it. Do I need to give you access to the package in
cvs?

Just take a look at how bolzplatz2006 does it, basicly there is a shell
script which invokes autodownloader if the files are not there yet and a
autodownloader config file.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Hans

Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 12:56 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Let me know if you have any questions.

I went ahead and started to implement the fix, but in testing it seems
that autodownloader only downloads in 8K increments. This thing would
literally need to run all day to pull down these content files. Is that
expected behavior?

~spot

Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III

TC> I went ahead and started to implement the fix, but in testing it
TC> seems that autodownloader only downloads in 8K increments.

It just calls urllib.urlretrieve. I don't expect it would be hard to
use something more high-performance, but I wouldn't be able to suggest
anything.

- J<

Old 09-11-2008, 03:12 AM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 17:07 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> TC> I went ahead and started to implement the fix, but in testing it
> TC> seems that autodownloader only downloads in 8K increments.
>
> It just calls urllib.urlretrieve. I don't expect it would be hard to
> use something more high-performance, but I wouldn't be able to suggest
> anything.

Never mind. Testing at home on FIOS shows that it was something specific
to the internet connection I was using at work.

~spot

Old 09-11-2008, 05:38 AM
Hans de Goede