-   Fedora Games (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/)
-   -   Parallel Realities Games have non-free content (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/144393-parallel-realities-games-have-non-free-content.html)

Tom "spot" Callaway 08-17-2008 07:48 PM

Parallel Realities Games have non-free content

Recently, it has come to light that all Parallel Realities games were knowingly
using and including non-free content (graphics, audio, etc).

See: http://www.happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4725&highlight=

Accordingly, we need to block these packages from Fedora:

blobwars
blobAndConquer
starfighter
viruskiller

Thanks,

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com>

Hans de Goede 08-17-2008 09:30 PM

Tom spot Callaway wrote:
Recently, it has come to light that all Parallel Realities games were knowingly
using and including non-free content (graphics, audio, etc).

See: http://www.happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4725&highlight=

Accordingly, we need to block these packages from Fedora:

blobwars
blobAndConquer
starfighter
viruskiller

Agreed, rel-eng people can you please untag these from rawhide (too late for
older releases). I know were having infra issues, so please untag once those
are solved.

Regards,

Hans

Hans de Goede 08-17-2008 09:31 PM

Tom spot Callaway wrote:
Recently, it has come to light that all Parallel Realities games were knowingly
using and including non-free content (graphics, audio, etc).

See: http://www.happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4725&highlight=

Accordingly, we need to block these packages from Fedora:

blobwars
blobAndConquer
starfighter
viruskiller

I'm currently trying to get a better picture on the issues surrounding these
games from upstream and I'll try to work with them to fix things.

Regards,

Hans

Hans de Goede 08-18-2008 07:13 AM

Tom spot Callaway wrote:
Recently, it has come to light that all Parallel Realities games were knowingly
using and including non-free content (graphics, audio, etc).

See: http://www.happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4725&highlight=

Accordingly, we need to block these packages from Fedora:

blobwars
blobAndConquer
starfighter
viruskiller

Ok I've been in contact with upstream about this and I got the following
list from them of resources which they got from various places and they
thus cannot give any license guarantees about:

For Blob Wars,

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Blob And Conquer

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Virus Killer

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Project: Starfighter
All Music
All Sound Effects
Character Portraits
Starfighter (and other spacecraft) images

My plan is to issue updates for blobwars and blobAndConquer removing
music and sounds (and patching source as necessary to not crash when
these are missing).

Then I'll be replacing the music which is all mod / xm / s3m with
modtracker files from modarchive.org which only contains freely
(re)distributable modtracker files (license already approved by Spot).

Last I will be replacing the sound effects with sound effects from other
free games in Fedora, mainly freedoom, nexuiz, tremulous, opearena and
worminator.

I'll do the same for viruskiller as that one is from Matthias, and
Matthias seems to have little time for Fedora lately.

Project starfighter will have to be removed until we can fix the
graphics issue, I've contacted Nicu and Marin asking them if they can
maybe do some replacement graphics for starfighter.

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

As I still have quite a bit webcam work todo before the F10 beta for now
I'll only be removing the sounds / music, adding replacements is
something which I will do in a later update. In the mean time any help
with this would be much appreciated, if you want to help please drop me
a mail to coordinate.

"Rafał Psota" 08-18-2008 01:41 PM

Parallel Realities Games have non-free content

My plan is to issue updates for blobwars and blobAndConquer removing music and sounds (and patching source as necessary to not crash when these are missing).
I'm the current maintainer of blobwars, so I'll try to remove music and souds and eventually patch the source unless it requires advanced programming skills. I'll let you know about any progress.

Regards,

Rafał

Hans de Goede 08-18-2008 08:47 PM

Rafał Psota wrote:

My plan is to issue updates for blobwars and blobAndConquer removing
music and sounds (and patching source as necessary to not crash when
these are missing).

I'm the current maintainer of blobwars, so I'll try to remove music and
souds and eventually patch the source unless it requires advanced
programming skills. I'll let you know about any progress.

Cool, thanks!

As said I've some ideas to replace the music and sounds, when you have some
spare time to invest drop me a mail and I'll put my ideas on paper, hopefully
we can get some free music and sounds as replacements in place then, as a
silent blobwars would be a bit of a pitty.

Regards,

Hans

Steve Cotton 08-27-2008 02:10 PM

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 09:13:19AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Last I will be replacing the sound effects with sound effects from other
> free games in Fedora, mainly freedoom, nexuiz, tremulous, opearena and
> worminator.

The sound effects of Tremulous are also in question:

Steve