Old 08-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Splitting the game server packages?

Hi,

I was going through the debian games package list and notice that they
split out the server parts into a separate package for many games.

Examples include:

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=alien-arena-server
http://packages.debian.org/etch-backports/openarena-server

Fedora games packagers might want to consider following a similar
strategy too.

Rahul

Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Michael Thomas

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Hi,

I was going through the debian games package list and notice that they
split out the server parts into a separate package for many games.

Examples include:

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=alien-arena-server
http://packages.debian.org/etch-backports/openarena-server

Fedora games packagers might want to consider following a similar
strategy too.

+1

Some games already have separate -server packages (or -client)
subpackages (crossfire, cyphesis vs. sear, xpilot-ng, poker2d), and I've
submitted a patch for bzflag so that it can be run as a server as well
(BZ #198929)

I suspect that games like openarena and alienarena only need an init
script that calls the app with the appropriate -daemon/-server/-network
flags. I would also strongly recommend that any/all -server subpackages
include a -selinux subpackage as well, for enhanced security. I will
volunteer to help anyone who wants to add the -server and -selinux
subpackages to existing games.

--Wart