Old 07-16-2008, 06:45 PM
"Joonas Sarajärvi"

Default Crrcsim's data files' location

Hello

I am a new package contributor to Fedora, and I currently only have my
first package, milkytracker, in Fedora. I am now looking forward to
package another program that I use and that is not available in
Fedora.

According to the Fedora Games Packaging guidelines, the data files of
Crrcsim should end up in /usr/share/crrcsim, not in
/usr/share/games/crrcsim. While I agree with the guideline, Crrcsim's
configure script doesn't (yet) support this and it always wants to put
files under the games directory.

Would someone have any pointers on solving the situation?

The one solution I have thought of is to manually mv the data
directory into the right place after make install. After this, I would
need to create a wrapper script that would cd to the data directory
(Crrcsim searches the current directory, in addition to some
presumably hard-coded paths) and then run the actual binary
executable. In this case, should I put the binary into /usr/libexec?

For future releases, it would probably be wise to work with the
upstream developers to make the simulator easier installable in
various directory configurations.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@gmail.com

Old 07-16-2008, 06:49 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> Hello
>
> I am a new package contributor to Fedora, and I currently only have my
> first package, milkytracker, in Fedora. I am now looking forward to
> package another program that I use and that is not available in
> Fedora.
>
> According to the Fedora Games Packaging guidelines, the data files of
> Crrcsim should end up in /usr/share/crrcsim, not in
> /usr/share/games/crrcsim. While I agree with the guideline, Crrcsim's
> configure script doesn't (yet) support this and it always wants to put
> files under the games directory.
>
> Would someone have any pointers on solving the situation?
>
> The one solution I have thought of is to manually mv the data
> directory into the right place after make install. After this, I would
> need to create a wrapper script that would cd to the data directory
> (Crrcsim searches the current directory, in addition to some
> presumably hard-coded paths) and then run the actual binary
> executable. In this case, should I put the binary into /usr/libexec?

Without actually having looked at it, I'd say that the above would work,
and I have a few packages that do this, but it's preferable to patch the
app to use the correct locations. You may be able to patch configure.in.
If not, try grepping the source for the data dir, and make a set of
patches to get it to look in the right spot, and do the above move.

There are several on this list with the skills to help with specifics if
needed.

> For future releases, it would probably be wise to work with the
> upstream developers to make the simulator easier installable in
> various directory configurations.

+1Brillion

> --
> Joonas Sarajärvi
> muepsj@gmail.com

novus ordo absurdum

Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 PM
"Joonas Sarajärvi"

2008/7/16 Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net>:
> Without actually having looked at it, I'd say that the above would work,
> and I have a few packages that do this, but it's preferable to patch the
> app to use the correct locations. You may be able to patch configure.in.
> If not, try grepping the source for the data dir, and make a set of
> patches to get it to look in the right spot, and do the above move.

I'll try to see if I could do that instead of the wrapper. Will
probably post later
when I am a bit wiser about that.

> There are several on this list with the skills to help with specifics if
> needed.
If there is something I think I could understand with a little help,
I'll be sure to ask here.

Thanks for the pointers.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@gmail.com

Old 07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> 2008/7/16 Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net>:
>> Without actually having looked at it, I'd say that the above would work,
>> and I have a few packages that do this, but it's preferable to patch the
>> app to use the correct locations. You may be able to patch
>> configure.in.
>> If not, try grepping the source for the data dir, and make a set of
>> patches to get it to look in the right spot, and do the above move.
>
> I'll try to see if I could do that instead of the wrapper. Will
> probably post later
> when I am a bit wiser about that.
>

>> There are several on this list with the skills to help with specifics if
>> needed.
> If there is something I think I could understand with a little help,
> I'll be sure to ask here.

For examples, see armacycles-ad and vdrift for ones we patched, and
cylindrix for one with a wrapper.

--
novus ordo absurdum

Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 21:45 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:

> According to the Fedora Games Packaging guidelines, the data files of
> Crrcsim should end up in /usr/share/crrcsim, not in
> /usr/share/games/crrcsim. While I agree with the guideline, Crrcsim's
> configure script doesn't (yet) support this and it always wants to put
> files under the games directory.
>
> Would someone have any pointers on solving the situation?

Not too long ago, someone asked about packaging crrcsim on fedora-devel,
so I whipped it together. Feel free to take anything useful from my spec
file.

~spot

Old 07-17-2008, 03:32 PM
"Joonas Sarajärvi"

2008/7/16 Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com>:
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 21:45 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
>
>> According to the Fedora Games Packaging guidelines, the data files of
>> Crrcsim should end up in /usr/share/crrcsim, not in
>> /usr/share/games/crrcsim. While I agree with the guideline, Crrcsim's
>> configure script doesn't (yet) support this and it always wants to put
>> files under the games directory.
>>
>> Would someone have any pointers on solving the situation?
>
> Not too long ago, someone asked about packaging crrcsim on fedora-devel,
> so I whipped it together. Feel free to take anything useful from my spec
> file.

Thanks for this, should really help me make it work properly.

I tried to check if there was already Crrcsim available for Fedora in
Rawhide, but I wasn't aware of this existing effort to package
Crrcsim. Do you want to keep working it into official repositories, or
prefer me to continue with my package?

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@gmail.com

Old 07-17-2008, 05:29 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 18:32 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
> I tried to check if there was already Crrcsim available for Fedora in
> Rawhide, but I wasn't aware of this existing effort to package
> Crrcsim. Do you want to keep working it into official repositories, or
> prefer me to continue with my package?

No, I have enough packages as is. This one never made it into Fedora,
feel free to take it for your own.

~spot

Old 07-26-2008, 07:42 PM
"Joonas Sarajärvi"

2008/7/17 Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com>:
> On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 18:32 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
>> I tried to check if there was already Crrcsim available for Fedora in
>> Rawhide, but I wasn't aware of this existing effort to package
>> Crrcsim. Do you want to keep working it into official repositories, or
>> prefer me to continue with my package?
>
> No, I have enough packages as is. This one never made it into Fedora,
> feel free to take it for your own.

Thank you for your support! I now have it mostly working with a
wrapper script, but I can try to look into patching the code, too.

I asked upstream about the possibility to better select installation
directory, and the behaviour is going to get fixed in the next release
of Crrcsim.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@gmail.com

Old 08-10-2008, 10:46 PM
"Joonas Sarajärvi"

2008/7/26 Joonas Sarajärvi <muepsj@gmail.com>:
> 2008/7/17 Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com>:
>> On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 18:32 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
>>> I tried to check if there was already Crrcsim available for Fedora in
>>> Rawhide, but I wasn't aware of this existing effort to package
>>> Crrcsim. Do you want to keep working it into official repositories, or
>>> prefer me to continue with my package?
>>
>> No, I have enough packages as is. This one never made it into Fedora,
>> feel free to take it for your own.
>
> Thank you for your support! I now have it mostly working with a
> wrapper script, but I can try to look into patching the code, too.
>
> I asked upstream about the possibility to better select installation
> directory, and the behaviour is going to get fixed in the next release
> of Crrcsim.

Just to note that I'm still working on this... there are a couple of
issues at the moment.

1) There is a severe crash when one tries to set up controls. Haven't
been able to debug it much, because the whole X locks up if I try to
run the simulator in GDB.

2) The project is currently very busy moving from Sourceforge to
Berlios, so I'll let them handle the move first before trying to get
the few developers' attention to the bug.

I think I could already put the package in review, though. However, I
think I want to get the crash problem solved before pushing Crrcsim to
stable updates.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@gmail.com