Old 05-29-2008, 06:27 PM
"Ken Marsh"

Default Authentication problems between FDS 1.0.1-4 on RHES 4u4

Hi,

I have a curious problem where a few (important) users cannot log into
the Red Hat Enterprise Server 4 update 4 systems. However, most users
(including myself) can log in. These users can log in fine to ldap'd
RHES3 Update 6 systems.

The FDS logs indicate a normal fetch of the user's attributes with no
errors. The /var/log/secure on Red Hat 4 simply says

sshd[8898]: Failed password for <username> from <hex>...

Yet they can log into other LDAP based systems, including a few other
RHE4 systems, that all go back to the same FDS.

I have deleted their accounts and recreated them, which usually fixes
strange problems like this, but no luck. Some accounts are old (date
back to FDS 7.1) and others are new.

I examined the DS attributes for these users, and the only difference I
could find was the "Object class" attribute was missing the "account"
value. So, I added it, but to no avail.

I compared /etc/pam.d/system-auth and they are essentially identical
between RHES3 and 4 systems.

/var/log/secure also has a "error" Could not get shadow information for
<username>" but that happens on all users. It seems to be a soft error,
but I would like to get rid of it.

Can anyone give me a clue where to look?

Thanks!
Ken