FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-15-2008, 04:09 PM
solarflow99
 
Default questions

I have a couple of questions about FDS:
*
- Is it possible to set a root user (UID=0) I noticed it doesn't seem to let me log in that way.
*
- If the clients are authenticating to hostname, how does failover work if that host went offline?* Having a secondary LDAP instance wouldnt really help would it?
*
*
Thanks,
*
*
--
Fedora-directory-users mailing list
Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-directory-users
 
Old 05-15-2008, 07:23 PM
"Chris St. Pierre"
 
Default questions

On Thu, 15 May 2008, solarflow99 wrote:


- Is it possible to set a root user (UID=0) I noticed it doesn't seem to let
me log in that way.


Yes, you can add an entry to the directory with uidNumber=0. Whether
or not that's a good idea is a different story; personally, I wouldn't
want to have root's credentials centrally in LDAP, for a number of
reasons.


- If the clients are authenticating to hostname, how does failover work if
that host went offline? Having a secondary LDAP instance wouldnt really
help would it?


There are a few ways you can do this:

1. Linux Virtual Server or another load balancer.

2. Poor Man's Load Balancing, a.k.a. DNS "load balancing," and
twiddle your CNAMEs when an LDAP server goes down. It's hackish, but
it works just dandy.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University

--
Fedora-directory-users mailing list
Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-directory-users
 
Old 05-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Jonathan Barber
 
Default questions

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 02:23:27PM -0500, Chris St. Pierre wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008, solarflow99 wrote:
>
> >- Is it possible to set a root user (UID=0) I noticed it doesn't seem to
> >let
> >me log in that way.
>
> Yes, you can add an entry to the directory with uidNumber=0. Whether
> or not that's a good idea is a different story; personally, I wouldn't
> want to have root's credentials centrally in LDAP, for a number of
> reasons.
>
> >- If the clients are authenticating to hostname, how does failover work if
> >that host went offline? Having a secondary LDAP instance wouldnt really
> >help would it?
>
> There are a few ways you can do this:
>
> 1. Linux Virtual Server or another load balancer.
>
> 2. Poor Man's Load Balancing, a.k.a. DNS "load balancing," and
> twiddle your CNAMEs when an LDAP server goes down. It's hackish, but
> it works just dandy.

3. Some clients (nss_ldap/openldap) allow you to specify a list of hosts
or LDAP URI's to contact in order, so if a resource is unavailable the
next is queried.

> Chris St. Pierre
> Unix Systems Administrator
> Nebraska Wesleyan University
>
> --
> Fedora-directory-users mailing list
> Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-directory-users

--
Jonathan Barber
High Performance Computing Analyst
Tel. +44 (0) 1382 386389

--
Fedora-directory-users mailing list
Fedora-directory-users@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-directory-users
 
Old 12-07-2008, 03:07 PM
"Fawn"
 
Default Questions

I am ready to make the change to dual booting. I have
the cd
ready. I have the computer set to boot from the cd. But
it will
not work. I am at the point of just formating and
installing
Ubuntu/Linux ..
*
My question is what is the process of formating after I

install linux. Can I do that if I don't want to keep
it?
fawn
*
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Josh Holland
 
Default Questions

On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 11:07 -0500, Fawn wrote:
> I am ready to make the change to dual booting. I have the cd
> ready. I have the computer set to boot from the cd. But it will
> not work. I am at the point of just formating and installing
> Ubuntu/Linux ..
>

Please be more specific. Give what step number you are at and any error
messages it spits out.


> My question is what is the process of formating after I
> install linux. Can I do that if I don't want to keep it?
> fawn
>

If you decide that Ubuntu is not for you, I recommend you just use
something like gparted ( http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php ) to
shrink the partition with Ubuntu on it down to zero size. As with all
partition operations, make sure everything is backed up before you do
anything.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Josh Holland
 
Default Questions

PS Please don't send messages in HTML. Many people on the list will have
filters set up to automatically delete any HTML messages they receive.
See
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists/etiquette#head-5c030f297e63e065bc2cb5119626300f20d8a5ed
for more info.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-07-2008, 03:38 PM
"Fawn"
 
Default Questions

There is no step..it simply will not boot from the
cd.
It goes on to Windows. I have Window XP
Pro.
fawn
*
----- Original Message -----
From: Josh
Holland
To: Ubuntu user technical support,not
for general discussions
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: Questions

On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 11:07 -0500, Fawn wrote:
> I am ready
to make the change to dual booting. I have the cd
> ready. I have the
computer set to boot from the cd. But it will
> not work. I am at the
point of just formating and installing
> Ubuntu/Linux ..
>*


Please be more specific. Give what step number you are at and any
error
messages it spits out.


> My question is what is the
process of formating after I
> install linux. Can I do that if I don't
want to keep it?
> fawn
>*

If you decide that Ubuntu is
not for you, I recommend you just use
something like gparted ( http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
) to
shrink the partition with Ubuntu on it down to zero size. As with
all
partition operations, make sure everything is backed up before you
do
anything.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify
settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-07-2008, 03:39 PM
"Fawn"
 
Default Questions

I am sorry I had not seen I was not supposed to send in rich text.
fawn

----- Original Message -----
From: Josh Holland
To: Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: Questions


PS Please don't send messages in HTML. Many people on the list will have
filters set up to automatically delete any HTML messages they receive.
See
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists/etiquette#head-5c030f29
7e63e065bc2cb5119626300f20d8a5ed
for more info.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Carl Friis-Hansen
 
Default Questions

Fawn wrote:
> There is no step..it simply will not boot from the cd.
> It goes on to Windows. I have Window XP Pro.
> fawn

Didi you burn the ISO image correctly:
http://lifehacker.com/software/how-to/create-iso-disk-images-and-generate-md5-checksums-268304.php

and not rich text either, just give us plain old simple text.

--
+---------------------------------+-------------------+
| Carl Friis-Hansen | Fiskeryd Nybygget |
| http://computingconfidence.com/ | 341 91 Ljungby |
| Phone: +46 (0)372 15033 | Sweden |
+---------------------------------+-------------------+


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Josh Holland
 
Default Questions

On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 11:38 -0500, Fawn wrote:
> There is no step..it simply will not boot from the cd.
> It goes on to Windows. I have Window XP Pro.
> fawn

What you need to do is hit Escape or F12 or some similar key at the BIOS
screen (the first one you see when you turn the computer on). It should
then let you set it up to boot from the cd. Also, it may help if you
burn it to a cd-r rather than an rw (I'm not sure whether you did this
the first time or not).
Hope this helps,
Josh




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org