Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 AM
Knapp

Default questions

2010/2/9 Ahmad Abou el-naga <champion_2010@hotmail.com>:
> I recently tried Kubuntu through windows(wubi) and I want to permanently
> install it but i have some questions please,
>
> 1-when it was installing through wubu it came to the part of installing
> apps.(80%) and gave an error so i skipped

Check the md5 sum of your install disk. These are the sums for 9.10.
If these don't check out, get a new disk before installing. If they do
check out the problem maybe your drive or something else. What was the
error?

76e5a5d4b704677744bd84e042c05b63 kubuntu-9.10-alternate-amd64.iso
33fce2476d982977216faa40cbc334c5 kubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386.iso
5a996e0d794e35509d0275d411a3e737 kubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso
18ecb71bff567ce7a91443720a86473e kubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso
36b1f68a396f3b4e4b5cc0849877ff35 kubuntu-9.10-netbook-i386.iso

> 2-should I convert the file system to ext3 or ext4 and NTFS is not possible?

I might be wrong but ext4 seems to still be having some problems, so
perhaps sticking with 3 is better. Please someone correct this, if it
is wrong now. The only reason that I know of to go with ext4 is if you
have HUGE hard drives. Is ext4 faster now than ext3 on a normal users
hard drive?

> 3 If I did this file system conversion or format will I loose anything If I
> did applied this to a separate drive other than that which has all the
> needed data and the drive for windows?

You will not loose data, but you might have to copy it over from the
old place to the new place. Kubuntu can do this, in other words it can
read the NTFS file format with the data.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 09 February 2010, Ahmad Abou el-naga wrote:
>I recently tried Kubuntu through windows(wubi) and I want to permanently
> install it but i have some questions please,
>
>1-when it was installing through wubu it came to the part of installing
> apps.(80%) and gave an error so i skipped 2-should I convert the file
> system to ext3 or ext4 and NTFS is not possible? 3 If I did this file
> system conversion or format will I loose anything If I did applied this to
> a separate drive other than that which has all the needed data and the
> drive for windows?
>
>thanks in advance

The separate drive is nice, and quite doable.. As far as the windows portion
of a drive, it should be 'defragged' using the windows tool to do that, and
the last time I saw it, it gave you a visual map showing the free area of the
drive. Using a partitioning tool, shrink the windows portion so there is a
little room left for windows to wiggle in, and then make 2 new partitions on
the inner portion of the disk for linux, using all but a gigabyte or so for
an ext3 filesystem, and the last gigabyte as 'swap' space, which linux will
use as additional memory by paging it in and out so a 1Gb machine looks like
a 2Gb machine. Likewise a 4Gb machine needs about 4Gb of swap, but won't use
it quite as often.

Or you can do all the partitioning on a second (third,forth etc) drive. I
have 4 1Tb drives here, all of them bootable to various flavors of linux.

The limits are your hardware budget and imagination. The latter is usually
free. ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

HTTPD Error 666 : BOFH was here

Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Ahmad Abou el-naga

well I have a drive for windows , a drive for important data and a drive for Kubuntu(it has the Wubi AMD version on it and I need to install the permanent one) and all are NTFS.
my computer is 4200+ processor and 3Gbs of ram AMD athlon 64 ...
I just got confused because I never installed linux but I like Kubuntu 9.10
I need help

Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Knapp

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 February 2010, Ahmad Abou el-naga wrote:
>>I recently tried Kubuntu through windows(wubi) and I want to permanently
>> install it but i have some questions please,
>>
>>1-when it was installing through wubu it came to the part of installing
>> apps.(80%) and gave an error so i skipped 2-should I convert the file
>> system to ext3 or ext4 and NTFS is not possible? 3 If I did this file
>> system conversion or format will I loose anything If I did applied this to
>> a separate drive other than that which has all the needed data and the
>> drive for windows?
>>
>>thanks in advance
>
> The separate drive is nice, and quite doable.. *As far as the windows portion
> of a drive, it should be 'defragged' using the windows tool to do that, and
> the last time I saw it, it gave you a visual map showing the free area of the
> drive. *Using a partitioning tool, shrink the windows portion so there is a
> little room left for windows to wiggle in, and then make 2 new partitions on
> the inner portion of the disk for linux, using all but a gigabyte or so for
> an ext3 filesystem, and the last gigabyte as 'swap' space, which linux will
> use as additional memory by paging it in and out so a 1Gb machine looks like
> a 2Gb machine. *Likewise a 4Gb machine needs about 4Gb of swap, but won't use
> it quite as often.
>
> Or you can do all the partitioning on a second (third,forth etc) drive. *I
> have 4 1Tb drives here, all of them bootable to various flavors of linux.
>
> The limits are your hardware budget and imagination. *The latter is usually
> free. ;-)
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

Before doing all that, it might be a good idea do go through the
windows stuff and delete all that you don't need so that you have more
free room and if you intend to keep using windows them make sure to
leave windows enough room for the storage space you will need in the
future.

To be honest, if you have any free money at all and live in some place
like the USA, go buy an extra drive. You can get them for very little
money and thus save yourself a lot of head aches. I saw a 1TB drive
for 70$ USD and you can find 50GB drives for under 20$.

If you get out and hunt you can find one at a dump for free. Also
don't forget that old computer in the closet. It will likely run
faster that your current system, if you load it with Xubuntu or
something like Tiny Core Linux.

Using a command line system of Tiny Core, you can make your 20 year
old IBM PC do the work of a modern desktop for most office work but
don't expect Firefox to work. Do expect it to be able to do email
without pictures, text editing and accounting.

What are the minimum requirements of TC and MC(MC has no desktop just
CLI but you can do a lot with that if you are willing to learn.)?

An absolute minimum of RAM is 48mb. TC won't boot with anything less,
no matter how many terabytes of swap you have.
Microcore runs with 36mb of ram.
The minimum cpu is i486DX (486 with a math processor).

A recommended configuration:
Pentium 2 or better, 128mb of ram + some swap

Minimum system requirements Xubuntu

You need 192 MB RAM to run the Live CD or 128 MB RAM to install. The
Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM at install
time.

To install Xubuntu, you need 2.0 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with starting from 192 (or even just
128) MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB
RAM.

Bare Minimum requirements Ubuntu

It should be possible to get Ubuntu running on a system with the
following minimum hardware specification, although it is unlikely that
the system would run well. You should use the Alternate install CD to
attempt such an installation.

* 300 MHz x86 processor
* 64 MB of system memory (RAM)
* At least 4 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)
* VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
* CD-ROM drive or network card

Recommended minimum requirements

Ubuntu should run reasonably well on a computer with the following
minimum hardware specification. However, features such as visual
effects may not run smoothly.

* 700 MHz x86 processor
* 384 MB of system memory (RAM)
* 8 GB of disk space
* Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
*

Sound card
*

A network or Internet connection

Could not find the requirements for Kubuntu but I know it failed on my
laptop with 512mb Ram.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Knapp

Which windows? Not that it matter that much.
Maybe this will help you.
http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbooting_guide_linux_vista_and_x p_stepbystep.htm

In any case, you have about the same system as I do (works great with
KDE 4 but don't expect perfect stability out of KDE4 yet. Learn to use
htop and the alt-ctrl-f1 key to kill programs that lock up the desktop
(f7 gets you back) .

Be sure when you have it all working to do this in the Linux system;
it will make the system much more responsive on the desktop. Anyone
with lots of ram should do this.

Add this to the /etc/sysctl.conf file and reboot. You might even try a
swappiness setting of 10.

#decrease swappiness
vm.swappiness=20
#improve file/folder browsing speed
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50
#debian tcp window scaling errata fix
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem=4096 65536 65536
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem=4096 65536 65536

Have fun and ask lots of questions both here and on IRC (for instant help)!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Knapp

I wanted to add something. Your email subject is very bad. It is the
reason you have not gotten much more help here. Always pick a subject
the describes your problem. You will get much better responses that
way!

For example, help with installing Kubuntu on Vista, might be a good
one for this.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 10:22 +0200, Ahmad Abou el-naga wrote:
> well I have a drive for windows , a drive for important data and a
> drive for Kubuntu(it has the Wubi AMD version on it and I need to
> install the permanent one) and all are NTFS.
> my computer is 4200+ processor and 3Gbs of ram AMD athlon 64 ...
> I just got confused because I never installed linux but I like Kubuntu
> 9.10
> I need help

If you didn't top-post, you may get more help. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Thomas Dineen

Gentle People:

When building source RPMs:
How are the patch files installed? By hand? Or automatically by the make
build?
If manually what command is used and in what directory? Example?

Thanks For The Help
Thomas Dineen

Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Todd Zullinger

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Dineen wrote:
> When building source RPMs:
> How are the patch files installed? By hand? Or automatically by the make
> build?
> If manually what command is used and in what directory? Example?

If you peak at a particular package, let's use the git package as an
example. I just added a patch there recently and built it.

You can see the changes I made to the spec file to include a new patch
here:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=git.git;a=commitdiff;h=69974bd1

Basically, I added a Patch4: line, with the filename of the patch, and
used the %patch4 macro to apply it in the rpmbuild %prep section. The
patch file is placed in the rpm %_sourcedir (typically this is
~/rpmbuild/SOURCES, but you can change this).

You can see the build log and the commands this ends up executing via
koji:

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/git/1.7.6/5.fc16/data/logs/i686/build.log

The relevant lines are:

Patch #4 (0001-propagate-quiet-to-send-pack-receive-pack.patch):
+ echo 'Patch #4 (0001-propagate-quiet-to-send-pack-receive-pack.patch):'
+ /bin/cat /builddir/build/SOURCES/0001-propagate-quiet-to-send-pack-receive-pack.patch
+ /usr/bin/patch -s -p1 --fuzz=0

Does this help?