Old 12-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Wade Smart

Default Questions

Fawn wrote:
> There is no step..it simply will not boot from the cd.
> It goes on to Windows. I have Window XP Pro.
> fawn

20081207 1043 GMT-5

So what you're saying is, you put the disk in, reboot and it still loads
Windows but will not run the cd.

When the computer reboots watch the screen and it will say (example)
push F12 for Bios. Whatever your button key is, push it. A dos screen
will come up and you want to find your "boot order" and it will say
something like Hard drive, cdrom, floppy drive as the order. You can
change that to CD to install ubuntu.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005

Old 12-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Carl Friis-Hansen

Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:
> Fawn wrote:
>> There is no step..it simply will not boot from the cd.
>> It goes on to Windows. I have Window XP Pro.
>> fawn

Sorry, wrong link:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty/CDDVDBurning

Old 12-07-2008, 03:54 PM
"Fawn"

I am sorry I did not know about the rich text.
I created the cd by copying it from the link on the page
from one of the sites provided straight to the cd.
Is this not the way to do it?
I know I have to relearn most of what I have learned
from using windows but did not know this would be
different.
I will go and study from the link sent.
Thank you.
fawn

> There is no step..it simply will not boot from the cd.
> It goes on to Windows. I have Window XP Pro.
> fawn

Didi you burn the ISO image correctly:
http://lifehacker.com/software/how-to/create-iso-disk-images-and-generate-md
5-checksums-268304.php

and not rich text either, just give us plain old simple text.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:01 PM
"Fawn"

I have changed it to boot from cd. I also thought that
could be the problem but checked it twice to make sure
it had not reverted back. It is set to boot from cd and it
even comes up on the screen that it is booting from there.
I did have problems getting the cd downloaded. It pulled
my satellite down to 19.9bps and I have not had such a problem
with speed before. The file shows up as over 700 million bytes.
I have ordered a cd from Launchpad.
I work on my computer daily helping others with their genealogy
and making webpages to help others with their genealogy..this is
why I asked about being able to build webpages.
I do not charge for this but it is about all I can do to help
others with my bad health.
I do appreciate the help I have seen here on this site.
fawn

Old 12-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Carl Friis-Hansen

Fawn wrote:
> I am sorry I did not know about the rich text.
> I created the cd by copying it from the link on the page
> from one of the sites provided straight to the cd.
> Is this not the way to do it?
> I know I have to relearn most of what I have learned
> from using windows but did not know this would be
> different.
> I will go and study from the link sent.
> Thank you.
> fawn

Actually, if you currently only have Windows available, then you might
also have a look here. There is a free tool for burning images on CD
with Windows.
http://askbobrankin.com/burn_iso_image.html (ISO recorder)

Old 12-07-2008, 04:18 PM
"Fawn"

Would Nero work? What I have is already on the cd.
Would I need to recopy and use Nero at that time?
fawn

Old 12-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Carl Friis-Hansen

>> I am sorry I did not know about the rich text.
>> I created the cd by copying it from the link on the page
>> from one of the sites provided straight to the cd.
>> Is this not the way to do it?
>> I know I have to relearn most of what I have learned
>> from using windows but did not know this would be
>> different.
>> I will go and study from the link sent.
>> Thank you.
>> fawn
>
> Actually, if you currently only have Windows available, then you might
> also have a look here. There is a free tool for burning images on CD
> with Windows.
> http://askbobrankin.com/burn_iso_image.html (ISO recorder)

> Would Nero work? What I have is already on the cd.
> Would I need to recopy and use Nero at that time?
> fawn

Nero is fine, it is also capable of writing an ISO image. I hopee you
understand that it doesn't help just to copy the ISO file itself to the
CD. The ISO file is a kind of an archive and have to be decompressed
during the CD burning.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:41 PM
dwain

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Carl Friis-Hansen
<ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:
> Fawn wrote:
>> Actually, if you currently only have Windows available, then you might
>> also have a look here. There is a free tool for burning images on CD
>> with Windows.
>> http://askbobrankin.com/burn_iso_image.html (ISO recorder)
>
> > Would Nero work? What I have is already on the cd.
> > Would I need to recopy and use Nero at that time?
> > fawn
>
> Nero is fine, it is also capable of writing an ISO image. I hopee you
> understand that it doesn't help just to copy the ISO file itself to the
> CD. The ISO file is a kind of an archive and have to be decompressed
> during the CD burning.

if i may add, i have nero v. 6. look for a camera, with 2 discs
together, icon when the program opens. hovering over this icon is a
drop down menu. look for "burn image to disc"

cheers,
dwain
--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. " - Kahlil Gibran

Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Knapp

No one has mentioned that you can first check your download with md5.
For some reason they have become hidden on the download sites but here
is the right link to see them.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate
pick a mirror near you or something fast. Download the file and then
check the md5sum. It should match! If not then you have a bad download
or you are looking at the wrong md5sum number for what you downloaded.
After that burn as an ISO. Others have given you info on that. Then
check that the disk burned is correctly burned with your burners
checker. If all that is good then it should work unless you have
picked the wrong cd for your CPU.
--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 02-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Ahmad Abou el-naga

I recently tried Kubuntu through windows(wubi) and I want to permanently install it but i have some questions please,

1-when it was installing through wubu it came to the part of installing apps.(80%) and gave an error so i skipped
2-should I convert the file system to ext3 or ext4 and NTFS is not possible?
3 If I did this file system conversion or format will I loose anything If I did applied this to a separate drive other than that which has all the needed data and the drive for windows?

thanks in advance