Old 09-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Orion Poplawski

Default Can an admin server manage remote directory servers?

Can an admin server manage remote directory servers? The docs always seems to
refer to running an admin server alongside the directory server, but in the
case of running a slave directory server, it would be nice to be able to
manage that from the admin server on our main directory server machine. Is
that possible?

Also, should the instance name of the slave server be different than the
instance name of the primary server? It doesn't seem to be a requirement, and
I'm not sure what is more or less confusing.

Thanks!

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

Old 09-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Rich Megginson

Can an admin server manage remote directory servers? The docs always
seems to refer to running an admin server alongside the directory
server, but in the case of running a slave directory server, it would
be nice to be able to manage that from the admin server on our main
directory server machine. Is that possible?

No. Every machine must have 1 admin server (389-admin).

Also, should the instance name of the slave server be different than
the instance name of the primary server? It doesn't seem to be a
requirement, and I'm not sure what is more or less confusing.
It's probably easier to search for it if the name is unique, but I don't
think it will break the console.

Thanks!