-   -   GUI errors when viewing replication agreements (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-directory/698476-gui-errors-when-viewing-replication-agreements.html)

Wes Hardin 08-28-2012 03:23 PM

GUI errors when viewing replication agreements

When viewing replication agreements in the 389-console (under the Configuration
tab, Replication, userRoot), the first time I select each replication agreement,
I am greeted by an error window titled "Insufficient Permissions" stating "The
user cn=root does not have the permission to perform this operation."

cn=root is my directory manager account. I am not trying to make any changes, I
get this error simply by selecting the agreement so I can view it and check the
status. I can click OK to acknowledge the error and then I am prompted to login
again. I can hit cancel and continue navigating, but if I attempt to make any
change in this area, the "Save" button does not activate to let me do so. I can
use the Directory tab and navigate down through cn=config tree and change the
agreement entries via the normal property editor window. I can also delete the
agreement from the Configuration tab.

I'm using 389-console 1.1.7-0ubuntu1 on Kubuntu 12.04, but I have colleagues who
run the 389-console from the server (389-console-1.1.7-3.el5.noarch) and see the
same error.

These are the packages on the server, which is CentOS 5.7:
# rpm -qa 389-*
389-admin-1.1.29-1.el5.x86_64
389-console-1.1.7-3.el5.noarch
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.10.4-5.el5.x86_64
389-admin-console-1.1.8-1.el5.noarch
389-ds-base-devel-1.2.10.4-5.el5.x86_64
389-ds-base-1.2.10.4-5.el5.x86_64
389-ds-console-1.2.6-1.el5.noarch
389-ds-console-doc-1.2.6-1.el5.noarch
389-adminutil-1.1.15-1.el5.x86_64
389-admin-console-doc-1.1.8-1.el5.noarch
389-adminutil-devel-1.1.15-1.el5.x86_64

While troubleshooting replication a while back, I lost all my replication
agreements and recreated them all from the CLI using some instructions I found
for RHDS. I don't recall if this error occurred before that or not. If I
delete and re-create the agreement through the GUI, I do not get this error when
selecting that same agreement, even after restarting the GUI.

--
/* Wes Hardin */
UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator, IT Engineering Support

Wes Hardin 08-28-2012 04:19 PM

On 08/28/2012 10:23 AM, Wes Hardin wrote:
> When viewing replication agreements in the 389-console (under the Configuration
> tab, Replication, userRoot), the first time I select each replication agreement,
> I am greeted by an error window titled "Insufficient Permissions" stating "The
> user cn=root does not have the permission to perform this operation."

I found I am able to get rid of this error popup by populating the "Description"
field for each replication agreement. I am able to set and save the description
under the "Configuration" tab, but I still cannot modify the schedule or
connection details here.

Rich Megginson 08-28-2012 04:21 PM

GUI errors when viewing replication agreements

When viewing replication agreements in the 389-console (under the Configuration
tab, Replication, userRoot), the first time I select each replication agreement,
I am greeted by an error window titled "Insufficient Permissions" stating "The
user cn=root does not have the permission to perform this operation."

I found I am able to get rid of this error popup by populating the "Description"
field for each replication agreement. I am able to set and save the description
under the "Configuration" tab, but I still cannot modify the schedule or
connection details here.

What is your platform? What version of 389-ds-base, 389-admin, and
389-ds-console? Are you logging into the console as "admin" or as
"cn=directory manager"? Do you have any trouble editing any other
fields in any other config tabs, or is this problem strictly limited to
editing replication agreements? Have you filed a ticket at
https://fedorahosted.org/389?

Wes Hardin 08-28-2012 04:33 PM

On 08/28/2012 11:21 AM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 08/28/2012 10:19 AM, Wes Hardin wrote:
>> On 08/28/2012 10:23 AM, Wes Hardin wrote:
>>> When viewing replication agreements in the 389-console (under the Configuration
>>> tab, Replication, userRoot), the first time I select each replication agreement,
>>> I am greeted by an error window titled "Insufficient Permissions" stating "The
>>> user cn=root does not have the permission to perform this operation."
>> I found I am able to get rid of this error popup by populating the "Description"
>> field for each replication agreement. I am able to set and save the description
>> under the "Configuration" tab, but I still cannot modify the schedule or
>> connection details here.
>>
> What is your platform? What version of 389-ds-base, 389-admin, and
> 389-ds-console? Are you logging into the console as "admin" or as
> "cn=directory manager"? Do you have any trouble editing any other
> fields in any other config tabs, or is this problem strictly limited to
> editing replication agreements? Have you filed a ticket at
> https://fedorahosted.org/389?

cn=root is my directory manager account.

I'm using 389-console 1.1.7-0ubuntu1 on Kubuntu 12.04, but I have colleagues who
run the 389-console from the server (389-console-1.1.7-3.el5.noarch) and see the
same error.

These are the packages on the server, which is CentOS 5.7:
# rpm -qa 389-*
389-admin-1.1.29-1.el5.x86_64
389-console-1.1.7-3.el5.noarch
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.10.4-5.el5.x86_64
389-admin-console-1.1.8-1.el5.noarch
389-ds-base-devel-1.2.10.4-5.el5.x86_64
389-ds-base-1.2.10.4-5.el5.x86_64
389-ds-console-1.2.6-1.el5.noarch
389-ds-console-doc-1.2.6-1.el5.noarch
389-adminutil-1.1.15-1.el5.x86_64
389-admin-console-doc-1.1.8-1.el5.noarch
389-adminutil-devel-1.1.15-1.el5.x86_64

I use the Apache Directory Studio for most of my general directory data
management. I typically only use the 389-console for 389-specific configuration
changes. The only other time I notice getting this message is when I first
click on the "Configuration" tab. I am still able to change values and click
save them though. I tested this by changing the max number of entries returned.

Rich Megginson 08-28-2012 05:16 PM

GUI errors when viewing replication agreements

When viewing replication agreements in the 389-console (under the Configuration
tab, Replication, userRoot), the first time I select each replication agreement,
I am greeted by an error window titled "Insufficient Permissions" stating "The
user cn=root does not have the permission to perform this operation."

That should have been fixed, although I can't seem to find the ticket.

[...]

So if you create the agreements via the CLI, the console gives an error
when you try to edit the agreements, but when you create the agreements
via the console, the console will allow you to edit the agreements?

Wes Hardin 08-28-2012 08:35 PM

On 08/28/2012 12:16 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 08/28/2012 09:23 AM, Wes Hardin wrote:
>> When viewing replication agreements in the 389-console (under the Configuration
>> tab, Replication, userRoot), the first time I select each replication agreement,
>> I am greeted by an error window titled "Insufficient Permissions" stating "The
>> user cn=root does not have the permission to perform this operation."
>
> That should have been fixed, although I can't seem to find the ticket.
>

>> cn=root is my directory manager account. I am not trying to make any changes, I
>> get this error simply by selecting the agreement so I can view it and check the
>> status. I can click OK to acknowledge the error and then I am prompted to login
>> again. I can hit cancel and continue navigating, but if I attempt to make any
>> change in this area, the "Save" button does not activate to let me do so. I can
>> use the Directory tab and navigate down through cn=config tree and change the
>> agreement entries via the normal property editor window. I can also delete the
>> agreement from the Configuration tab.
>>
>> I'm using 389-console 1.1.7-0ubuntu1 on Kubuntu 12.04, but I have colleagues who
>> run the 389-console from the server (389-console-1.1.7-3.el5.noarch) and see the
>> same error.
>>
>> These are the packages on the server, which is CentOS 5.7:
>> # rpm -qa 389-*
>> 389-admin-1.1.29-1.el5.x86_64
>> 389-console-1.1.7-3.el5.noarch
>> 389-ds-base-libs-1.2.10.4-5.el5.x86_64
>> 389-admin-console-1.1.8-1.el5.noarch
>> 389-ds-base-devel-1.2.10.4-5.el5.x86_64
>> 389-ds-base-1.2.10.4-5.el5.x86_64
>> 389-ds-console-1.2.6-1.el5.noarch
>> 389-ds-console-doc-1.2.6-1.el5.noarch
>> 389-adminutil-1.1.15-1.el5.x86_64
>> 389-admin-console-doc-1.1.8-1.el5.noarch
>> 389-adminutil-devel-1.1.15-1.el5.x86_64
>>
>> While troubleshooting replication a while back, I lost all my replication
>> agreements and recreated them all from the CLI using some instructions I found
>> for RHDS. I don't recall if this error occurred before that or not. If I
>> delete and re-create the agreement through the GUI, I do not get this error when
>> selecting that same agreement, even after restarting the GUI.
> So if you create the agreements via the CLI, the console gives an error
> when you try to edit the agreements, but when you create the agreements
> via the console, the console will allow you to edit the agreements?

I cannot edit any replication agreements (except for the description field)
regardless of their origin from the "Configuration" tab. I don't receive any
error, but if I make a change to the schedule for instance, the tab gets the
little red dot indicating a change occurred, but the "Save" button remains
grayed out and unclickable.

Rich Megginson 08-28-2012 08:43 PM

[...]

Ok. I would like to see
excerpts from the directory server and admin server access log and
errors log from around the time of this console behavior

/var/log/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/errors and access
/var/log/dirsrv/admin-serv/error and access

run the console with 389-console -D 9 -f console.log - then reproduce
the problem and post the console.log

before you post any logs, be sure to scrub or obscure any sensitive data

Wes Hardin 08-29-2012 09:11 PM

On 08/28/2012 03:43 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 08/28/2012 02:35 PM, Wes Hardin wrote:
>>> That should have been fixed, although I can't seem to find the ticket.

attached console.log

When I ran the 389-console in debug mode, I think I located the where the issue arises. Starting at line 1778:

DSEntrySet.getAttributes(): failed to get attribute nsslapd-referral in cn=config
ServerSettingsPanel.ReferralText.show: <>
DSEntrySet.show(): some of the attributes of cn=config could not be read. Either they are not present in the entry or there is an ACI which prevents that attribute from being read. Try authenticating as a user with more access

In a quick test, this only seems to occur on my single master. The consumers I tested did not complain when selecting the "configuration" tab.

>>> So if you create the agreements via the CLI, the console gives an error
>>> when you try to edit the agreements, but when you create the agreements
>>> via the console, the console will allow you to edit the agreements?
>> I cannot edit any replication agreements (except for the description field)
>> regardless of their origin from the "Configuration" tab. I don't receive any
>> error, but if I make a change to the schedule for instance, the tab gets the
>> little red dot indicating a change occurred, but the "Save" button remains
>> grayed out and unclickable.
>>
> Ok. I would like to see
> excerpts from the directory server and admin server access log and
> errors log from around the time of this console behavior
> /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/errors and access
> /var/log/dirsrv/admin-serv/error and access
>
> run the console with 389-console -D 9 -f console.log - then reproduce
> the problem and post the console.log
>
> before you post any logs, be sure to scrub or obscure any sensitive data

Getting these logs will take a little bit longer. But to make sure I provide useful logs, what debug logging options should I enable for access and error?

Rich Megginson 08-29-2012 09:24 PM

[...]

Hmm - this should have been fixed - https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/78
Please add your information to that ticket and reopen

[...]

Don't worry about it. This looks like ticket 78. I'm very confused as
to why this was not fixed for you. Did you upgrade this 389 from an
earlier release? If so, it is possible that there is an empty
nsslapd-referral attribute in your dse.ldif - try this:

shutdown dirsrv
edit /etc/dirsrv/slapd-INST/dse.ldif - look for a line like
nsslapd-referral:
that is, there is nothing after the ":"
delete this line
then restart dirsrv

Wes Hardin 08-30-2012 04:29 PM

On 08/29/2012 04:24 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 08/29/2012 03:11 PM, Wes Hardin wrote:
>> attached console.log
>>
>> When I ran the 389-console in debug mode, I think I located the where the issue arises. Starting at line 1778:
>>
>> DSEntrySet.getAttributes(): failed to get attribute nsslapd-referral in cn=config
>> ServerSettingsPanel.ReferralText.show:<>
>> DSEntrySet.show(): some of the attributes of cn=config could not be read. Either they are not present in the entry or there is an ACI which prevents that attribute from being read. Try authenticating as a user with more access
>>
>> In a quick test, this only seems to occur on my single master. The consumers I tested did not complain when selecting the "configuration" tab.
>
> Hmm - this should have been fixed - https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/78
> Please add your information to that ticket and reopen

>>> Ok. I would like to see
>>> excerpts from the directory server and admin server access log and
>>> errors log from around the time of this console behavior
>>> /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/errors and access
>>> /var/log/dirsrv/admin-serv/error and access
>>>
>>> run the console with 389-console -D 9 -f console.log - then reproduce
>>> the problem and post the console.log
>>>
>>> before you post any logs, be sure to scrub or obscure any sensitive data
>> Getting these logs will take a little bit longer. But to make sure I provide useful logs, what debug logging options should I enable for access and error?
> Don't worry about it. This looks like ticket 78. I'm very confused as
> to why this was not fixed for you. Did you upgrade this 389 from an
> earlier release? If so, it is possible that there is an empty
> nsslapd-referral attribute in your dse.ldif - try this:
>
> shutdown dirsrv
> edit /etc/dirsrv/slapd-INST/dse.ldif - look for a line like
> nsslapd-referral:
> that is, there is nothing after the ":"
> delete this line
> then restart dirsrv

I don't know the full history of this server since I assumed management of it
from someone else. I believe it began life as 1.2.2 (based on version shown on
the initial screen of 389-console; have not run setup-ds.pl -u due to bug #377),
was upgraded to 1.2.5rc2, then 1.2.10.{4,14}. I believe it also started as a
consumer of a single master and then was promoted to be the new single master
pretty early on.

I reopened the bug as you suggested. A quick grep of dse.ldif shows no instance
of 'nsslapd-referral:'. The only reference to referral I find is this:

# grep -i referral dse.ldif
nsreferralonscopedsearch: off