Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Fosiul Alam

Default Best practice of taking a backup of current LDAP and restore that into a new server

Hi
I have a running Fedora 389 Server

I want to create a test server but i want to have the same data from
My production server

So i am thinking
if i take a backup of production server

then create a a new 389 instances then restore from that backup in to
new 389 instance
will it work ??

Thanks for your help.

Fosiul

Old 08-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Grzegorz Dwornicki

Hi

I'm not sure about your second server, does it need to have same base tree. I think yes it needs. Because admin console and shell 389 backup tools make copy of database files not in ldif format. If your second server have diferent tree you can use sed + ldapsearch to extract data.

Consider also this: The best way to sync two or more ldap servers is replication.

Greg.

wiadomosc wyslana z htc desire z

Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Fosiul Alam

Hi
Is there any way to make ldif from production server
then run this on this test server??

Fosiul

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Grzegorz Dwornicki <gd1100@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm not sure about your second server, does it need to have same base tree.
> I think yes it needs. Because admin console and shell 389 backup tools make
> copy of database files not in ldif format. If your second server have
> diferent tree you can use sed + ldapsearch to extract data.
>
> Consider also this: The best way to sync two or more ldap servers is
> replication.
>
> Greg.
>
> wiadomosc wyslana z htc desire z
>
> 08-08-2012 13:41, "Fosiul Alam" <fosiul@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>>
>> Hi
>> I have a running Fedora 389 Server
>>
>> I want to create a test server but i want to have the same data from
>> My production server
>>
>> So i am thinking
>> if i take a backup of production server
>>
>> then create a a new 389 instances then restore from that backup in to
>> new 389 instance
>> will it work ??
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Fosiul
>> --

Regards
Fosiul Alam
07877100621
http://www.fosiul.co.uk

Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Grzegorz Dwornicki

Yes i told you how in ealier mail.

Just run ldapseach as dirctory manger with criteria/filters/basedn you want. Next pipe or copy results to file. Maybe use sed on the file to make litle changes of needed. Copy it to second server and use ldapadd on it.

Greg.

Send from z htc desire z

Is there any way to make ldif from production server

then *run this on this test server??

Fosiul

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Grzegorz Dwornicki <gd1100@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi

> I'm not sure about your second server, does it need to have same base tree.

> I think yes it needs. Because admin console and shell 389 backup tools make

> copy of database files not in ldif format. If your second server have

> diferent tree you can use sed + ldapsearch to extract data.

> Consider also this: The best way to sync two or more ldap servers is

> replication.

> Greg.

> wiadomosc wyslana z htc desire z

> 08-08-2012 13:41, "Fosiul Alam" <fosiul@gmail.com> napisał(a):

>> Hi

>> I have a running Fedora 389 Server

>> I want to create a test server but i want to have the same data from

>> My production server

>> So i am thinking

>> if i take a backup of production server

>> then create a a new 389 instances then restore from that backup in to

>> new 389 instance

>> will it work ??

>> Thanks for your help.

>> Fosiul

>> --

Regards

Fosiul Alam

07877100621

http://www.fosiul.co.uk

Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Fosiul Alam

Hi thanks

my ldap is like this

l=uk,dc=fosiul,dc=lan

then it has OU=Users
OU=Grups

what shall be the command for bellow ?

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Grzegorz Dwornicki <gd1100@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes i told you how in ealier mail.
>
> Just run ldapseach as dirctory manger with criteria/filters/basedn you want.
> Next pipe or copy results to file. Maybe use sed on the file to make litle
> changes of needed. Copy it to second server and use ldapadd on it.
>
> Greg.
>
> Send from z htc desire z
>
> 08-08-2012 14:25, "Fosiul Alam" <fosiul@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
>> Hi
>> Is there any way to make ldif from production server
>> then run this on this test server??
>>
>> Fosiul
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Grzegorz Dwornicki <gd1100@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I'm not sure about your second server, does it need to have same base
>> > tree.
>> > I think yes it needs. Because admin console and shell 389 backup tools
>> > make
>> > copy of database files not in ldif format. If your second server have
>> > diferent tree you can use sed + ldapsearch to extract data.
>> >
>> > Consider also this: The best way to sync two or more ldap servers is
>> > replication.
>> >
>> > Greg.
>> >
>> > wiadomosc wyslana z htc desire z

>> --
>> Regards
>> Fosiul Alam
>> 07877100621
>> http://www.fosiul.co.uk
>> --

Regards
Fosiul Alam
07877100621
http://www.fosiul.co.uk

Old 08-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Grzegorz Dwornicki

You can run this in many ways for example:

Ldapsearch -D "cn=Directory Manager" -W -b ou=Users,l=uk,dc=fosiul,dc=lan

Ldapsearch -D "cn=Directory Manager" -W -b ou=Groups,l=uk,dc=fosiul,dc=lan

This way you get 2 results in ldif format. But you can try something like this:

Ldapsearch -D "cn=Directory Manager" -W -b l=uk,dc=fosiul,dc=lan '(I(objectclass=person)(ou=Groups)(ou=Users)(objec tclass=posixgroup))'

I used "I" in ldapfilter because could not find pipe character on my phone please use pipe character known from bash instead. Sorry for trouble.

This command should give the same result as ones provided ealier, but in one query. I am asking for all ldap content and filter it aginst persons, posixgroups and users/groups containers.

What i ment is you can do this task in many ways

Greg.

Send from z htc desire z

(Just run ldapseach as dirctory manger with criteria/filters/basedn you want. )

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Grzegorz Dwornicki <gd1100@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes i told you how in ealier mail.

> Just run ldapseach as dirctory manger with criteria/filters/basedn you want.

> Next pipe or copy results to file. Maybe use sed on the file to make litle

> changes of needed. Copy it to second server and use ldapadd on it.

> Greg.

> Send from z htc desire z

> 08-08-2012 14:25, "Fosiul Alam" <fosiul@gmail.com> napisał(a):

>> Hi

>> Is there any way to make ldif from production server

>> then *run this on this test server??

>> Fosiul

>> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Grzegorz Dwornicki <gd1100@gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>> > Hi

>> > I'm not sure about your second server, does it need to have same base

>> > tree.

>> > I think yes it needs. Because admin console and shell 389 backup tools

>> > make

>> > copy of database files not in ldif format. If your second server have

>> > diferent tree you can use sed + ldapsearch to extract data.

>> > Consider also this: The best way to sync two or more ldap servers is

>> > replication.

>> > Greg.

>> > wiadomosc wyslana z htc desire z

>> > --

>> --

>> Regards

>> Fosiul Alam

>> 07877100621

>> http://www.fosiul.co.uk

>> --

Regards

Fosiul Alam

07877100621

http://www.fosiul.co.uk

Old 08-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Fosiul Alam

Hi thanks

Just a quick qustion
is there any ldapcommand which will give me a list of groups a user belong to ??

Supppose I want to see all the groups list a user call jonh smith belong to ??
thanks

Regards
Fosiul Alam
07877100621
http://www.fosiul.co.uk

Old 08-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Grzegorz Dwornicki

Ldapsearch -x '(memberuid=jsmith)'

This will not return user primary group.

Greg.

Send from htc desire z

Regards

Fosiul Alam

07877100621

http://www.fosiul.co.uk

Old 08-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Fosiul Alam

Hi thanks
but thats not giving me result of all the groups this user belong to ??

will really appropriate your help.
Fosiul.

Regards
Fosiul Alam
07877100621
http://www.fosiul.co.uk

Old 08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Grzegorz Dwornicki

Hi

I had to be sure soo i looked in other your topic. You are using uniquemember attibute? Try this:

Ldapsearch -x '(uniquemember=jsmith)'

Greg.

Send from htc desire z

Regards