Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Paul Robert Marino

Default Question about users and groups in sub suffixes

Hello every one

I have a strange problem Im trying to use 389 server in a large
organization and i have to break the directory into several sub
suffixes or root suffixes.
there is the scenario
I work for Large company A
Large company A owns
1) subsidiary b
2) subsidiary c
3) subsidiary d

Large company A uses domain example.com
subsidiary b uses domain b.example.com
subsidiary c uses domain c.example.com
subsidiary d uses domain d.example.com

I would like to separate each of the subsidiaries into their own sub
suffix partially because of security reasons also to minimize unneeded
replication for local read only slaves at the subsidiary sites, and I
would also like the administrator at each subsidiary to have the
option of manage their own users or having the administrators at the
parent company do it for them.

now creating the sub suffix with its own database is fairly well
documented and works well with ou's but doesn't seem to work with
dc's
if i create the new suffix as a dc and go into the users and groups in
the console and try to add a user to the new dc it wont let me. if i
use the Users drop down menu and try to change directory and set the
base to the new dc (e.g. dc=b,dc=example,dc=com) it tells me the dc
isn't valid

I also tried creating a root suffix and ran into the same problem so
what am i missing?
Is there some initial database population step I didn't see in the
documentation or do i need to setup some ACIs or what?