Old 07-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Ryan Palamara

Default dse.ldif errors with a reboot

I am having problems where I need to restore the dse.ldif everytime I reboot the server. Has anyone seen issues like this before and have any recommendations for where to start troubleshooting it?

*

Thank you,

*

Ryan Palamara

ZAIS Group, LLC

2 Bridge Avenue, Suite 322

Red Bank, New Jersey 07701

Phone: (732) 450-7444

Ryan.palamara@zaisgroup.com

*

This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s)
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.

This is not an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy/sell the securities/instruments mentioned or an official confirmation. This is not research and is not from ZAIS Group but it may refer to a research analyst/research report. Unless indicated, these
views are the author's and may differ from those of ZAIS Group research or others in the Firm. We do not represent this is accurate or complete and we may not update this. Past performance is not indicative of future returns.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:.

To comply with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained herein (including any attachments), unless specifically stated otherwise, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose
of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending any transaction or matter addressed herein to another party. Each taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayer's particular circumstances from an independent
tax advisor.

"ZAIS", "ZAIS Group" and "ZAIS Solutions" are trademarks of ZAIS Group, LLC.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Rich Megginson

restore the dse.ldif everytime I reboot the server. Has anyone
seen issues like this before and have any recommendations for
where to start troubleshooting it?

What platform?* What version of 389-ds-base?

What happens that you have to restore dse.ldif?* Do you get any
errors in the errors log?

*

Thank you,

*

Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Ryan Palamara

This is running on CentOS 6.2, just updated fully 2 days ago.

*

2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jul 20 01:55:29 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

*

*

*

Name******* : 389-ds-base

Arch******* : x86_64

Version**** : 1.2.10.2

Release**** : 20.el6_3

Size******* : 4.6 M

Repo******* : installed

From repo** : updates

Summary**** : 389 Directory Server (base)

URL******** : http://port389.org/

License**** : GPLv2 with exceptions

Description : 389 Directory Server is an LDAPv3 compliant server.* The base package includes

*********** : the LDAP server and command line utilities for server administration.

*

*

Here are some errors from the errors log.

*

[23/Jul/2012:02:32:50 -0400] - slapd started.* Listening on All Interfaces port 389 for LDAP requests

[23/Jul/2012:02:32:50 -0400] - Listening on All Interfaces port 636 for LDAPS requests

[23/Jul/2012:02:37:28 -0400] - slapd shutting down - signaling operation threads

[23/Jul/2012:02:37:28 -0400] - slapd shutting down - waiting for 29 threads to terminate

[23/Jul/2012:02:37:28 -0400] - slapd shutting down - closing down internal subsystems and plugins

[23/Jul/2012:02:37:28 -0400] - Waiting for 4 database threads to stop

[23/Jul/2012:02:37:28 -0400] - All database threads now stopped

[23/Jul/2012:02:37:28 -0400] - slapd stopped.

[23/Jul/2012:02:42:28 -0400] - 389-Directory/1.2.10.2 B2012.194.51 starting up

[23/Jul/2012:02:42:28 -0400] - Detected Disorderly Shutdown last time Directory Server was running, recovering database.

[23/Jul/2012:02:42:29 -0400] - slapd started.* Listening on All Interfaces port 389 for LDAP requests

[23/Jul/2012:02:42:29 -0400] - Listening on All Interfaces port 636 for LDAPS requests

*

*

Dirsrv will not start because the dse.ldif file is empty. I need to replace it with the backup file.

*

*

Thank you,

*

Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Rich Megginson

#1 SMP Fri Jul 20 01:55:29 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
GNU/Linux

*

*

*

Name******* :
389-ds-base

Arch******* :
x86_64

Version**** :
1.2.10.2

Release**** :
20.el6_3

Size******* :
4.6 M

Repo******* :
installed

From repo** :
updates

*********** :
the LDAP server and command line utilities for server
administration.

So you are running the official Red Hat RHEL 6.3 389-ds-base on
CentOS?????

*

*

Here are some
errors from the errors log.

*

[...]

Is the dse.ldif removed every time you stop the directory server
(i.e. service dirsrv stop)?

*

*

Thank you,

*

Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Ryan Palamara

This is running on CentOS 6.2, just updated fully 2 days ago.

¬*

2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jul 20 01:55:29 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

¬*

¬*

¬*

Name¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* : 389-ds-base

Arch¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* : x86_64

Version¬*¬*¬*¬* : 1.2.10.2

Release¬*¬*¬*¬* : 20.el6_3

Size¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* : 4.6 M

Repo¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* : installed

From repo¬*¬* : updates

Summary¬*¬*¬*¬* : 389 Directory Server (base)

URL¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* :
http://port389.org/

License¬*¬*¬*¬* : GPLv2 with exceptions

Description : 389 Directory Server is an LDAPv3 compliant server.¬* The base package includes

¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* : the LDAP server and command line utilities for server administration.

So you are running the official Red Hat RHEL 6.3 389-ds-base on CentOS?????

¬*

It looks that way. I just upgraded the server and it looks like updated to this package. However I do have the same issue on my other LDAP server which is using the 6.2 package.
The package is coming from the CentOS-6 update repo, so I hadn‚Äôt really thought about it being built for RHEL. ¬*

¬*

¬*

[...]

No, it seems that if I stop the service that there are not the same issues.

¬*

¬*

¬*

Thank you,

¬*

Old 07-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Rich Megginson

#1 SMP Fri Jul 20 01:55:29 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
GNU/Linux

¬*

¬*

¬*

Name¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* :
389-ds-base

Arch¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* :
x86_64

Version¬*¬*¬*¬* :
1.2.10.2

Release¬*¬*¬*¬* :
20.el6_3

Size¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* :
4.6 M

Repo¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* :
installed

From repo¬*¬* :
updates

Summary¬*¬*¬*¬* :
389 Directory Server (base)

URL¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* :

http://port389.org/

License¬*¬*¬*¬* :
GPLv2 with exceptions

Description :
389 Directory Server is an LDAPv3 compliant server.¬* The
base package includes

¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* :
the LDAP server and command line utilities for server
administration.

So you are running the official Red Hat RHEL 6.3 389-ds-base
on CentOS?????

¬*

It looks that way. I just
upgraded the server and it looks like updated to this
package. However I do have the same issue on my other LDAP
server which is using the 6.2 package. The package is
coming from the CentOS-6 update repo, so I hadn’t really
thought about it being built for RHEL.¬*

Ok.¬* Perhaps this is just the CentOS rebuild of the RHEL 6.3
package.

¬*

¬*

Here are some
errors from the errors log.

¬*

[...]

So it only happens when you shutdown the machine?

¬*

¬*

¬*

Thank you,

¬*

Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Mark Reynolds

Ryan,

One thing to try is to make sure you have all of these files, and
that they are same:

dse.ldif

dse.ldif.startOK¬*

dse.ldif.bak

They should all have the same content.¬* If one is empty it might be
the cause of your issues.¬* Its something to check out.

Mark

#1 SMP Fri Jul 20 01:55:29 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
GNU/Linux

¬*

¬*

¬*

Name¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*
: 389-ds-base

Arch¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*
: x86_64

Version¬*¬*¬*¬*
: 1.2.10.2

Release¬*¬*¬*¬*
: 20.el6_3

Size¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*
: 4.6 M

Repo¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*
: installed

From repo¬*¬*
: updates

Summary¬*¬*¬*¬*
: 389 Directory Server (base)

URL¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*
:
http://port389.org/

License¬*¬*¬*¬*
: GPLv2 with exceptions

Description
: 389 Directory Server is an LDAPv3 compliant server.¬*
The base package includes

¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*
: the LDAP server and command line utilities for server
administration.

So you are running the official Red Hat RHEL 6.3
389-ds-base on CentOS?????

¬*

It looks that way. I just
upgraded the server and it looks like updated to this
package. However I do have the same issue on my other
LDAP server which is using the 6.2 package. The package
is coming from the CentOS-6 update repo, so I hadn’t

Senior Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc
mreynolds@redhat.com