Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Gary Algier

Default No schema?

Hello:

I just installed a fresh install of the 389 DS from EPEL and I see no schema:

# ldapsearch -x -h localhost -s sub -b cn=schema -wxxxxxxxx
-Dcn=directory manager
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <cn=schema> with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# schema
dn: cn=schema
objectClass: top
objectClass: ldapSubentry
objectClass: subschema
cn: schema

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

If I look at /etc/dirsrv/slapd-*/schema I see lots of files all with all sorts
of contents. Is the schema unavailable by design? I also looked with
389-console and I see nothing in the schema.

Version information:
# rpm -q 389-ds
389-ds-1.2.1-1.el5
# grep ^ /etc/*release*
/etc/redhat-release:CentOS release 5.8 (Final)

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ gaa at ulticom.com +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054 Fax:+1 856 866 2033

Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:
People don't read documentation voluntarily.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Rich Megginson

[...]

rpm -q 389-ds-base
?

Note that in later 389 releases, the schema was made LDAPv3 compliant.
The schema attributes attributeTypes, objectClasses, matchingRules, etc.
are defined by LDAPv3 to be operational attributes. This means they
must be specified explicitly in the ldapsearch command line e.g.

ldapsearch -x -h localhost -s sub -b cn=schema -wxxxxxxxx
-Dcn=directory manager "objectclass-*" * attributeTypes
objectClasses ....

Old 07-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Gary Algier

[...]

All versions, just in case:
# % rpm -qa | grep 389-
389-ds-1.2.1-1.el5
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.9.9-1.el5
389-ds-console-doc-1.2.6-1.el5
389-dsgw-1.1.9-1.el5
389-admin-console-1.1.8-1.el5
389-ds-base-1.2.9.9-1.el5
389-admin-console-doc-1.1.8-1.el5
389-console-1.1.7-3.el5
389-ds-console-1.2.6-1.el5
389-admin-1.1.29-1.el5
389-adminutil-1.1.15-1.el5

So I need to ask specifically for the attributes, but I should still see the
dns, shouldn't I?

# ldapsearch -x -h localhost -s sub -b cn=schema -wxxxxxxxx
-Dcn=directory manager "objectclass=*" * attributetypes objectclasses |
grep -i ^dn:
dn: cn=schema

My goal here is to get a dump of the schema so I can compare it to my live
DS5.2 server in preparation for migration. Are there any other tools for
doing this kind of thing? I have seen discussion of migration but everything
seems to assume that the schemata match.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Rich Megginson

[...]

What does "dns" mean? If you mean Distinguished Name (DN) then yes, the
schema entry has the DN cn=schema, which is printed below.

# ldapsearch -x -h localhost -s sub -b cn=schema -wxxxxxxxx
-Dcn=directory manager "objectclass=*" * attributetypes
objectclasses |

grep -i ^dn:
dn: cn=schema

My goal here is to get a dump of the schema so I can compare it to my
live DS5.2 server in preparation for migration. Are there any other
tools for doing this kind of thing?

python-ldap has a nice schema parser

Note that if you want to use shell tools for things like grep and sed
you'll have to unwrap the ldif - see
http://richmegginson.livejournal.com/18726.html

Old 07-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Gary Algier

[...]

Oops. Stupid me. I forgot that all the schema is under one DN. I had some
sort of expectation of multiple DNs to hold everything. Its been a while
since I actually looked at an LDAP schema. When I initially saw nothing I
jumped to conclusions. Sorry.

My goal here is to get a dump of the schema so I can compare it to my live
DS5.2 server in preparation for migration. Are there any other tools for
doing this kind of thing?

python-ldap has a nice schema parser

Note that if you want to use shell tools for things like grep and sed you'll
have to unwrap the ldif - see http://richmegginson.livejournal.com/18726.html

I like the one-liner. Much shorter than the 15 line perl script I use.