Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 PM
"Anderson, Cary@CIO"

Default Question regarding Combining ObjectClasses to add attributes

I have recently started working with the Director Server, and I have read the documents for both 389 and RHDS, but I am having some difficulties regarding ObjectClass types, and combining them in order to extend the available attributes for an object.* The documents indicate that you can only have one Structural ObjectClass and multiple Aux. ObjectClasses, and I'm a bit hazy on the rules for Abstract ObjectClasses.**

If I take the example of needing to add the "host" attribute to a user object.* A RHN knowledgebase article indicates to add the "hostobject" ObjectClass rather than the "Account" ObjectClass.* My assumption was that "hostobject" was an Aux. ObjectClass, and that "Account" was Structural, but when I look at the two ObjectClasses via the administrative GUI, they both have "Top" listed as the parent ObjectClass.* So I'm not certain why one is appropriate and the other is not.

Moving forward I want to be able to combine ObjectClasses to extend available objects without introducing data integrity issues in my ldap directory.* I am looking for some clarification of rules regarding structural objectclasses, and if there is an easy way via the admin gui to tell the difference between structural, auxillary, and abstract objectclasses.* Also will the directory do some sort of intregrity checking if you attempt to combine improper objectclasses either via commandline or the admin gui?

*

Thanks
*
*