-   -   newui python-meh (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-directory/681540-newui-python-meh.html)

Vratislav Podzimek 07-09-2012 11:30 AM

newui python-meh

Here is a video preview of the new python-meh design implementation:

http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_preview.ogg

It follows the debug-off mockup [1]. There also is a debug-on mockup
[2], but I think adding the debug option and the code for it just to
have a Debug button "one click closer" is not necessary.

Any comments or ideas?

[1]
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/python-meh/unhandled-debug-off-expanded.png

[2]
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/python-meh/unhandled-debug-on-expanded.png

--
Vratislav Podzimek

Chris Lumens 07-09-2012 02:04 PM

newui python-meh

> Here is a video preview of the new python-meh design implementation:
>
> http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_preview.ogg
>
> It follows the debug-off mockup [1]. There also is a debug-on mockup
> [2], but I think adding the debug option and the code for it just to
> have a Debug button "one click closer" is not necessary.
>
> Any comments or ideas?

Overall, I like it. My only nitpicks are:

(1) Can you make it a little bit bigger to begin with, so the traceback
doesn't look so squashed?

(2) When you resize the window, the "The output below..." text appears
to float to the right a little bit and is also indented. Can you make
it line up with the left side of the traceback view?

- Chris

Vratislav Podzimek 07-10-2012 01:02 PM

newui python-meh

On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 10:04 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > Here is a video preview of the new python-meh design implementation:
> >
> > http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_preview.ogg
> >
> > It follows the debug-off mockup [1]. There also is a debug-on mockup
> > [2], but I think adding the debug option and the code for it just to
> > have a Debug button "one click closer" is not necessary.
> >
> > Any comments or ideas?
>
> Overall, I like it. My only nitpicks are:
>
> (1) Can you make it a little bit bigger to begin with, so the traceback
> doesn't look so squashed?
You mean even in the non-expanded state? Or should the window grow even
bigger when the "More info" gets expanded? The latter seems funny,
because being still centered, the window moves a lot when expanding and
you end up with mouse pointer in different part of the window. [1] But
maybe that's ok.

> (2) When you resize the window, the "The output below..." text appears
> to float to the right a little bit and is also indented. Can you make
> it line up with the left side of the traceback view?
Fixed.

Good points, thanks.

[1]
http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_expanding.ogg

--
Vratislav Podzimek

Chris Lumens 07-10-2012 02:17 PM

newui python-meh

> > (1) Can you make it a little bit bigger to begin with, so the traceback
> > doesn't look so squashed?
> You mean even in the non-expanded state? Or should the window grow even
> bigger when the "More info" gets expanded? The latter seems funny,
> because being still centered, the window moves a lot when expanding and
> you end up with mouse pointer in different part of the window. [1] But
> maybe that's ok.

Yeah, I see what you mean there. It is a little funny.

I was thinking when the expander gets expanded. I thought it was a
little awkward to have such a small area for displaying the traceback,
though. I wonder if it's possible to increase the expanded size without
also moving the dialog around.

- Chris

Vratislav Podzimek 07-11-2012 10:14 AM

newui python-meh

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 10:17 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > > (1) Can you make it a little bit bigger to begin with, so the traceback
> > > doesn't look so squashed?
> > You mean even in the non-expanded state? Or should the window grow even
> > bigger when the "More info" gets expanded? The latter seems funny,
> > because being still centered, the window moves a lot when expanding and
> > you end up with mouse pointer in different part of the window. [1] But
> > maybe that's ok.
>
> Yeah, I see what you mean there. It is a little funny.
>
> I was thinking when the expander gets expanded. I thought it was a
> little awkward to have such a small area for displaying the traceback,
> though. I wonder if it's possible to increase the expanded size without
> also moving the dialog around.
That only needs one simple change in the glade file -- change the main
windows position from "Always Center" to "Center". However, I suppose
the "GDK_WINDOW_SET_POSITION = WIN_POS_CENTER_ALWAYS" below the mockup
window [1] applies to this behaviour.

Preview with the change applied:
http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_expanding_non-center.ogg

Máirín Duffy 07-12-2012 09:03 PM

newui python-meh

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 12:14 +0200, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> Preview with the change applied:
> http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_expanding_non-center.ogg

I agree that the separate debug flag mode is unnecessary, having the one
gtkexpander for debug seems pretty reasonable.

anyway the above ogg - when you expand the window, it expands to the
right and to the bottom, not to the center. So when the dialog is
centered as a lightbox in the UI, it won't be centered I don't
think. :-/ I think I liked how it looked in the other video before
although I agree the traceback needs more space.

Can you make the dialog pre-expansion larger by default? I think it's
okay to have some padding/whitespace when there isn't a traceback being
displayed?

~m

Vratislav Podzimek 07-13-2012 10:00 AM

newui python-meh

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 17:03 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 12:14 +0200, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> > Preview with the change applied:
> > http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_expanding_non-center.ogg
>
> I agree that the separate debug flag mode is unnecessary, having the one
> gtkexpander for debug seems pretty reasonable.
>
> anyway the above ogg - when you expand the window, it expands to the
> right and to the bottom, not to the center. So when the dialog is
> centered as a lightbox in the UI, it won't be centered I don't
> think. :-/ I think I liked how it looked in the other video before
> although I agree the traceback needs more space.
Are we thinking about having this dialog as a lightbox? Cause that would
be complicated since python-meh is an external module, runs it's own
Gtk.main loop and has almost no way to reference the window it appears
above.

> Can you make the dialog pre-expansion larger by default? I think it's
> okay to have some padding/whitespace when there isn't a traceback being
> displayed?

Sure, this is just a matter of few simple changes in the glade file.
However I think that the large window with a short text and two buttons
looks awkward. [1]

[1] http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_large_window.png

Chris Lumens 07-13-2012 01:47 PM

newui python-meh

> Are we thinking about having this dialog as a lightbox? Cause that would
> be complicated since python-meh is an external module, runs it's own
> Gtk.main loop and has almost no way to reference the window it appears
> above.

That's not really very different from the rest of newui, though. Lots
of dialogs run their own main loop. And there's got to be a way to get
at the python-meh provided GtkWindow, doesn't there? It's been a while
since I looked at the code though.

> > Can you make the dialog pre-expansion larger by default? I think it's
> > okay to have some padding/whitespace when there isn't a traceback being
> > displayed?
> >
> Sure, this is just a matter of few simple changes in the glade file.
> However I think that the large window with a short text and two buttons
> looks awkward. [1]

You're right, that does look awkward.

- Chris

Máirín Duffy 07-13-2012 02:43 PM

newui python-meh

On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 09:47 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> You're right, that does look awkward.

Ugh, agreed.

Is it possible to make it larger just horizontally, and set some kind of
minimum height for the traceback pane?

~m

"Brian C. Lane" 07-13-2012 04:51 PM

newui python-meh

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:00:24PM +0200, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:

> Sure, this is just a matter of few simple changes in the glade file.
> However I think that the large window with a short text and two buttons
> looks awkward. [1]
>
> [1] http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_large_window.png

How about we just show the traceback all the time? It is an error dialog
after all.