Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Vratislav Podzimek

Default newui python-meh

On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 09:51 -0700, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:00:24PM +0200, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
>
> > Sure, this is just a matter of few simple changes in the glade file.
> > However I think that the large window with a short text and two buttons
> > looks awkward. [1]
> >
> > [1] http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_large_window.png
>
> How about we just show the traceback all the time? It is an error dialog
> after all.
We could do that, but how to hide the Debug button then? Have an
expander containing only a single button?

--
Vratislav Podzimek

Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Vratislav Podzimek

On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 09:47 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > Are we thinking about having this dialog as a lightbox? Cause that would
> > be complicated since python-meh is an external module, runs it's own
> > Gtk.main loop and has almost no way to reference the window it appears
> > above.
>
> That's not really very different from the rest of newui, though. Lots
> of dialogs run their own main loop. And there's got to be a way to get
> at the python-meh provided GtkWindow, doesn't there? It's been a while
> since I looked at the code though.
We can pass whatever we want to python-meh in the Config object before
registering it as the exception handler (the install() method). We could
pass a GtkWindow and the lightbox this way, but which window? We never
know when an exception appears and thus which window is shown by that
time. And since our lightboxing code needs reference to the underlying
window to work, I'm afraid this way is not usable.
The only way that seems feasible to me is to have another exception
handler in Anaconda that would display the lightbox, set the ordering of
the windows (so that users wouldn't be able to click on the Anaconda
window below [1]) and then run python-meh.

[1] See Radek's patches for the connection-editor lightboxing for more
details

--
Vratislav Podzimek

Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Vratislav Podzimek

On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 10:43 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 09:47 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > You're right, that does look awkward.
>
> Ugh, agreed.
>
> Is it possible to make it larger just horizontally, and set some kind of
> minimum height for the traceback pane?
Something like that:
http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_fixed-width.ogg
?

I think using "Center" as position instead of "Always Center" is more
natural because window just resizes (without moving) when the expander
is activated:
http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_fixed-width_non-center.ogg

--
Vratislav Podzimek

Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 10:07 +0200, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> We could do that, but how to hide the Debug button then? Have an
> expander containing only a single button?

I think it's better not to show the traceback all of the time because I
think there's a small percentage of users who will encounter it and be
able to do something useful with it (basically anaconda devs + QA, I
think. Those who could use debug to any sort of useful end is even
smaller - just you folks.)

I know there are dialog boxes in GNOME that do this same behavior and
don't have the same issues with resizing. For example, there are
PolicyKit and PackageKit auth windows that have a similar disclosure
pane at the bottom. Would it be helpful if I talked to those devs and
asked where the source code for those dialogs are so you could see how
they do it?

~m

Old 07-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 15:20 +0200, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 10:43 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 09:47 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > > You're right, that does look awkward.
> >
> > Ugh, agreed.
> >
> > Is it possible to make it larger just horizontally, and set some kind of
> > minimum height for the traceback pane?
> Something like that:
> http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_fixed-width.ogg
> ?
>
> I think using "Center" as position instead of "Always Center" is more
> natural because window just resizes (without moving) when the expander
> is activated:
> http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/python-meh_fixed-width_non-center.ogg

I think the top video (python-meh_fixed-width.ogg) looks great. The
bottom one (non-center) feels weird because it's so far down vertically.

~m