Old 04-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Maurizio Marini

Default how to keep in sync centos-ds in a dr scenario

I have a disaster recovery scenario:
on a remote location I have the same servers with the same hostnames and the
same ip's, exactly all the same.
Nightly I use rsync to keep all the servers in sync.
One of this server is a CentOS5 with centos-ds and samba as pdc.
I cannot use replica between current and dr, as the 2 server have the same ip
and hostname.
I am using ldap2db to import the nightly ldif backup.
/usr/lib/dirsrv/slapd-centos-ds/ldif2db -n userRoot -i /tmp/backup-yyddmm.ldif
It seems work, it's dirty but does work.
Do u see any side-effects? Have u some suggestion?

-m

Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Jim Finn

Instead of having the same actual IP for each server, why not use virtual IPs with something like heartbeat? *This way if replica-A@siteA goes down, replica-A@siteB will take over. *This entirely depends on your network topology, but may be a step in the right direction. *

Having servers with the same IPs doens't seem to be the most elegant solution; same with rsync'ing your database instead of using replication.

Jim*

Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Paul Robert Marino

Personally I don't understand the reason to even introduce a vip into
the equation. most if not all LDAP clients understand having multiple
servers in their configuration and since you can use wildcard certs or
certs with multiple host names.
also a lot of issues ive seen over the years with LDAP implementations
were caused by using VIPS and or load balancers.