Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 AM
"MATON Brett"

Default How to tell when database backup has finished?

Hi guys,
*
I want to tar up the backup set once a db2bak.pl backup job has finished.
however because it writes an entry to the LDAP and doesn’t wait for the backup to finish I was wondering what the best way to determine when the backup has actually finished?
*
I was thinking that I could
Ldapsearch at intervals for the backup cn entry, when it’s not there anymore backup has finished
Ro maybe watch the audit log for a delete action on the backup cn entry..
*
Any thoughts appreciated.
*
Cheers,
Brett
*
*

GreeNRB
NRB considers its environmental responsibility and goes for green IT.
May we ask you to consider yours before printing this e-mail?**

NRB, daring to commit
This e-mail and any attachments, which may contain information that is confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights, are intended for the exclusive use of the above-mentioned addressee(s). Any use (including reproduction, disclosure and whole or partial distribution in any form whatsoever) of their content is prohibited without prior authorization of NRB. If you have received this message by error, please contact the sender promptly by resending this e-mail back to him (her), or by calling the above number. Thank you for subsequently deleting this e-mail and any files attached thereto.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:10 PM
"MATON Brett"

Bit of a fiddle:
*
Execute the d2bak.pl script in verbose mode and extract the task name:
task=$(${BACKUPCMD} -v -D "${BINDAS}" ${BACKUPOPTS} -a ${DSBACKUPDIR} 2> /dev/null | grep "^adding new entry" )
ERR=$?
task=${task#*"}
taskDN=${task%?}
*
Syslog message and exit if script failed:
if [ $ERR -ne 0 ]; then
******* LogIt "FAILED (${ERR})." "user.err";
******* exit 1;
fi
*
Until “task” isn’t found ( 32 ) hang around here....:
while [ ${ERR} != 32 ]; do
******* (ldapsearch -x -H ${HOST} -D ${BINDAS} -b '${taskDN}' -y ${PWFILE} > /dev/null 2>&1 )
******* ERR=$?
******* if [ ${ERR} != 32 ]; then
*************** sleep 5s
******* fi
done
*
*
Again any thoughts welcomed.
*

Old 04-05-2012, 12:22 PM
"MATON Brett"

Oops, the ldapsearch –b is wrong I think the search should be
*
ldapsearch -x -H ${HOST} -D ${BINDAS} -b ' cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config' -y ${PWFILE} 'cn=<tasked>'
*
*
In short, if I immediately start the tar task after running db2bak.pl in my script, the target backup directory doesn’t exist.
So I need to check if the backup task has finished.
The DB is so small here though that that task has finished ( and the task deleted ) before I can run an ldapsearch to check the base and filter (even if I put it in the script before ‘tar’).
*

Old 04-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Mark Reynolds

Hi Brett,

I think running the ldapsearch, and checking for error 32 is the
easiest option.*

I know you're not hitting this, but there are times when the task
will stick around for a minute after its completed.* In that case,
you can search for the task, and request the attribute
"nsTaskStatus".* Then grep the value for "Backup finished", or
"Backup failed".

Regards,

Mark

ldapsearch –b is wrong I think the search should be

*

ldapsearch -x -H ${HOST} -D
${BINDAS} -b ' cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config'
-y ${PWFILE} 'cn=<tasked>'

*

*

In short, if I
immediately start the tar task after running db2bak.pl in my
script, the target backup directory doesn’t exist.

So I need to
check if the backup task has finished.

The DB is so
small here though that that task has finished ( and the task
deleted ) before I can run an ldapsearch to check the base
and filter (even if I put it in the script before ‘tar’).

*

d2bak.pl script in verbose mode and extract the task name:

task=$(${BACKUPCMD} -v -D
"${BINDAS}" ${BACKUPOPTS} -a ${DSBACKUPDIR} 2> /dev/null
| grep "^adding new entry" )

ERR=$?

task=${task#*"}

taskDN=${task%?}

*

Syslog message
and exit if script failed:

if [ $ERR -ne 0 ]; then

******* LogIt "FAILED (${ERR})."
"user.err";

******* exit 1;

fi

*

Old 04-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Rich Megginson

I think running the ldapsearch, and checking for error 32 is the
easiest option.*

That should work, but if that's still not sufficient, if you create
your own task entry, you can use the "ttl" attribute to set the time
to live after the task is completed

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Configuration_Command_and_File_Reference/Core_Server_Configuration_Reference.html#cn-tasks-attributes

Old 04-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Noriko Hosoi

You could search the task.with nstaskstatus attribute.

$ ldapsearch -LLLx -h localhost -p <port> -D 'cn=directory
manager' -w <pw> -b "cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config"
"(cn=backup_*)" nstaskstatus

When the task is done, you'll see the "Backup finished." status:

dn: cn=backup_2012_4_5_9_35_35,cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=c onfig

nstaskstatus: Backup finished.

Another way would be checking the errors log, which logs the end of
the back up.

[05/Apr/2012:09:32:09 -0700] - Backing up
file 31
(/var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-totoro/bak/totoro-2012_4_5_9_32_8/DBVERSION)

[05/Apr/2012:09:32:09 -0700] - Backup finished.
Thanks,

--noriko

MATON Brett wrote:

Hi guys,

*

Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 AM
"MATON Brett"

Thanks for the suggestions.
*
* For the record, status 32 was an error on my part, I hadn’t quoted the bind DN so ldapsearch was actually complaining about the bind DN not being found, not the backup task.
*
* Noriko, I’ve searched “cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config” and can’t find nstaskstatus anywhere.* I’m assuming that it also gets deleted once the task is complete...
* I might just be having a dumb moment but I couldn’t think of an efficient way to check the error log for a Backup Finished entry, anyone with suggestions?
*
* For the time being I’ve settled on two scripts, one to start backups and another to archive yesterdays (or older) backups.* Not ideal but workable
*
Thanks again,
Brett
*

Old 04-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Rich Megginson

record, status 32 was an error on my part, I hadn’t quoted
the bind DN so ldapsearch was actually complaining about the
bind DN not being found, not the backup task.

*

*
Noriko, I’ve searched “cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config” and
can’t find nstaskstatus anywhere.* I’m assuming that it also
gets deleted once the task is complete...

cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config is the parent entry for all backup task
entries.* When you create an entry under this parent, it starts the
backup task.** It is the backup task entry that has the nsTaskStatus
attribute, not the parent entry "cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config".*
When the backup task is complete, and the ttl is expired, the backup
task entry is automatically removed.

* I
might just be having a dumb moment but I couldn’t think of
an efficient way to check the error log for a Backup
Finished entry, anyone with suggestions?

The best way is to do the ldapsearch as described above.

*

Old 04-10-2012, 01:25 PM
"MATON Brett"

Thanks for the suggestions.
*
* For the record, status 32 was an error on my part, I hadn’t quoted the bind DN so ldapsearch was actually complaining about the bind DN not being found, not the backup task.
*
* Noriko, I’ve searched “cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config” and can’t find nstaskstatus anywhere.* I’m assuming that it also gets deleted once the task is complete...

cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config is the parent entry for all backup task entries.* When you create an entry under this parent, it starts the backup task.** It is the backup task entry that has the nsTaskStatus attribute, not the parent entry "cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config".* When the backup task is complete, and the ttl is expired, the backup task entry is automatically removed.

Hi Rich,* I appreciate your clarification.* I did however mean that I was searching “cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config” with no additional filters which should have returned everything, nsTaskStatus included for any backup job?
*
* I might just be having a dumb moment but I couldn’t think of an efficient way to check the error log for a Backup Finished entry, anyone with suggestions?

The best way is to do the ldapsearch as described above.

* I’m still having issues, $taskDN for example would be something like cn=backup_2012_4_5_13_36_23, cn=backup, cn=tasks, cn=config

COUNT=1
while [ ${COUNT} -ne 0 ]; do
#
#* OOPS:* -b ${taskDN}
#******** -b "cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config" "cn=<task>"
#
******* COUNT=$(ldapsearch -x -H ${HOST} -D "${BINDAS}" -y ${PWFILE} -b "cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config" "(${taskDN})" dn | grep -c '^dn')
******* if [ ${COUNT} -ne 0 ]; then
********* ******sleep 5s
******* fi
done
$(tar czf ${BACKUPPATH}${BKTSTAMP}-${INSTANCE}.tgz -C / ${DSBACKUPDIR#/*})
*
However the tar file is incomplete, because (assumption) the backup has not finished writing to disk before tar starts....
*
*

Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Rich Megginson

[...]

Exactly what search parameters (e.g. ldapsearch command line
arguments) did you use?

*

*******
COUNT=$(ldapsearch -x -H ${HOST} -D "${BINDAS}" -y ${PWFILE}
-b "cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config" "(${taskDN})" dn | grep -c
'^dn')

so this would expand to something like

COUNT=$(ldapsearch -x -H ldap.example.com -D "cn=directory manager"
-y pwfile.txt -b "cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config"
"(cn=backup_2012_4_5_13_36_23, cn=backup, cn=tasks, cn=config)" dn |
grep -c '^dn')

This is incorrect in the following ways:

1) the argument to -H must be a valid LDAP URL - so -H
ldap://ldap.example.com

2) "(cn=backup_2012_4_5_13_36_23, cn=backup, cn=tasks, cn=config)"
is not a valid LDAP search filter - if you want to search for the
backup entry, do one of the following

a) ldapsearch ... -s base -b "cn=backup_2012_4_5_13_36_23,
cn=backup, cn=tasks, cn=config" ...

or

b) ldapsearch ... -b "cn=backup, cn=tasks, cn=config"
"(cn=backup_2012_4_5_13_36_23)" ...