Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Roberto Polli

Default Questions on RedHat DS9.0 Deployment Guide (schema replication)

Hi all,

just some easy questions. The quoted text is taken from
Red Hat DS 9.0 Deployment Guide.

7.4.4 Schema Replication
> In all replication scenarios...[cut] The following conditions apply:
> If the version of the schema ...[master has newer]...the supplicer server
replicates to the consumer
Q1: shouldn't this happen only when changes are done via ldapmodify (as stated
in the note at the ending of the chapter)?
Q2: changes made with 98example.ldif shouldn't propagate, right?

> If the version of the schema...[slave has newer]...the server may return
many errors...
Q3: so replication still happens. I would state this clearly, like
"replication happens even in case of schema mismatching"

> A consumer might contain replicated data from two suppliers, each with
different schema. Whichever supplier was updated last wins, and its schema is
propagated to the consumer.
Q4: imho it seems a wider highway to hell -_- As of Q1,2 I can avoid it using
ldif, right?

> Changes made to custom schema files are only replicated if the schema is
updated using LDAP or the Directory Server Console
Q5: I have understood that you can't change a custom schema file using
LDAP/DSConsole. All modifications go to 99user.ldif: right?

I hope I haven't bored you too much...

Thx+Peace,
R.
--
Roberto Polli
Community Manager

CONFIDENZIALE: Questo messaggio ed i suoi allegati sono di carattere
confidenziale per i destinatari in indirizzo.
E' vietato l'inoltro non autorizzato a destinatari diversi da quelli indicati
nel messaggio originale.
Se ricevuto per errore, l'uso del contenuto e' proibito; si prega di
comunicarlo al mittente e cancellarlo immediatamente.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Roberto Polli

Hi Rich,

firstly, thanks again for your time and for your support!

I'll file bugs on trac, right?

Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>
> Right, although note that schema replication is single master. You
> should choose a master to make it the "primary" master for schema updates.
* are there any issues to let 389 create/modify custom schema files instead of
putting everything in 99user.ldif?
I mean something like:

# ldapmodify -v
dn: cn=schema
changetype: modify
schemafile: 60example.ldif
add: attributetypes
attributetypes: ( 1.2.3.4.5.6.1 NAME 'dateofbirth' DESC 'For employee
birthdays' SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 SINGLE-VALUED X-ORIGIN
'Example defined')

* did you experience any issue using schema replication in "primary" master
mode (eg. decreased manageability, lack of tracking of schema files,...)?

Thx+Peace,
R:

Old 04-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Roberto Polli

Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>
> > I'll file bugs on trac, right?
> https://fedorahosted.org/389
Filed https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/334

Let me know if something is unclear.

> > * did you experience any issue using schema replication in "primary"
> > master mode (eg. decreased manageability, lack of tracking of schema
> > files,...)?
>
> It's a trade off - it's easier to manage your custom schema if you have
> your own separate schema file, but then you have to replicate it
> yourself with puppet/cfengine
agreed.

Peace,
R.