-   -   Questions on RedHat DS9.0 Deployment Guide (schema replication) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-directory/652116-questions-redhat-ds9-0-deployment-guide-schema-replication.html)

Roberto Polli 04-03-2012 11:15 AM

Questions on RedHat DS9.0 Deployment Guide (schema replication)

Hi all,

just some easy questions. The quoted text is taken from
Red Hat DS 9.0 Deployment Guide.

7.4.4 Schema Replication
> In all replication scenarios...[cut] The following conditions apply:
> If the version of the schema ...[master has newer]...the supplicer server
replicates to the consumer
Q1: shouldn't this happen only when changes are done via ldapmodify (as stated
in the note at the ending of the chapter)?
Q2: changes made with 98example.ldif shouldn't propagate, right?

> If the version of the schema...[slave has newer]...the server may return
many errors...
Q3: so replication still happens. I would state this clearly, like
"replication happens even in case of schema mismatching"

> A consumer might contain replicated data from two suppliers, each with
different schema. Whichever supplier was updated last wins, and its schema is
propagated to the consumer.
Q4: imho it seems a wider highway to hell -_- As of Q1,2 I can avoid it using
ldif, right?

> Changes made to custom schema files are only replicated if the schema is
updated using LDAP or the Directory Server Console
Q5: I have understood that you can't change a custom schema file using
LDAP/DSConsole. All modifications go to 99user.ldif: right?

I hope I haven't bored you too much...

Thx+Peace,
R.
--
Roberto Polli
Community Manager

CONFIDENZIALE: Questo messaggio ed i suoi allegati sono di carattere
confidenziale per i destinatari in indirizzo.
E' vietato l'inoltro non autorizzato a destinatari diversi da quelli indicati
nel messaggio originale.
Se ricevuto per errore, l'uso del contenuto e' proibito; si prega di
comunicarlo al mittente e cancellarlo immediatamente.

Roberto Polli 04-03-2012 02:22 PM

Questions on RedHat DS9.0 Deployment Guide (schema replication)

Hi Rich,

firstly, thanks again for your time and for your support!

I'll file bugs on trac, right?

Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>
> Right, although note that schema replication is single master. You
> should choose a master to make it the "primary" master for schema updates.
* are there any issues to let 389 create/modify custom schema files instead of
putting everything in 99user.ldif?
I mean something like:

# ldapmodify -v
dn: cn=schema
changetype: modify
schemafile: 60example.ldif
add: attributetypes
attributetypes: ( 1.2.3.4.5.6.1 NAME 'dateofbirth' DESC 'For employee
birthdays' SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 SINGLE-VALUED X-ORIGIN
'Example defined')

* did you experience any issue using schema replication in "primary" master
mode (eg. decreased manageability, lack of tracking of schema files,...)?

Thx+Peace,
R:

Roberto Polli 04-03-2012 03:57 PM

Questions on RedHat DS9.0 Deployment Guide (schema replication)

Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>
> > I'll file bugs on trac, right?
> https://fedorahosted.org/389
Filed https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/334

Let me know if something is unclear.

> > * did you experience any issue using schema replication in "primary"
> > master mode (eg. decreased manageability, lack of tracking of schema
> > files,...)?
>
> It's a trade off - it's easier to manage your custom schema if you have
> your own separate schema file, but then you have to replicate it
> yourself with puppet/cfengine
agreed.

Peace,
R.