Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Roberto Polli

Default Schema upgrade and a little error in wiki

Hi Rich|All,

= Stuff 1 =
I'm planning a schema upgrade on a platform with 4 ds. The schema is on a
98myschema.ldif.

I got 2 MMR on backend and 2 replica on FE.

On RH documentation I read to:
- upgrade all masters;
- then upgrade slaves;
- lately restart.

This approach seems to lead to some service discontinuity, as - during this
migration - I should stop writes to all master/slaves.

How would you do it?

= Stuff 2 =

I found a possible typo here:
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dynamically_Reload_Schema

The following command doesn't write out the schema
# ldapsearch -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w password -b "cn=schema" -T
"(objectclass=*)"

you need to specify the attributes, eg:
# ldapsearch ... -b "cn=schema" -T "(objectclass=*)" "*" objectclasses

Does it happen to you too?

Thx+ Peace,
R.

--
Roberto Polli
Community Manager

CONFIDENZIALE: Questo messaggio ed i suoi allegati sono di carattere
confidenziale per i destinatari in indirizzo.
E' vietato l'inoltro non autorizzato a destinatari diversi da quelli indicati
nel messaggio originale.
Se ricevuto per errore, l'uso del contenuto e' proibito; si prega di
comunicarlo al mittente e cancellarlo immediatamente.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Rich Megginson

I'm planning a schema upgrade on a platform with 4 ds. The schema is on a
98myschema.ldif.

I got 2 MMR on backend and 2 replica on FE.

On RH documentation I read to:
- upgrade all masters;
- then upgrade slaves;
- lately restart.

Yes. This is the recommended procedure.

This approach seems to lead to some service discontinuity, as - during this
migration - I should stop writes to all master/slaves.

Why?

How would you do it?

= Stuff 2 =

I found a possible typo here:
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dynamically_Reload_Schema

The following command doesn't write out the schema
# ldapsearch -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w password -b "cn=schema" -T
"(objectclass=*)"

you need to specify the attributes, eg:
# ldapsearch ... -b "cn=schema" -T "(objectclass=*)" "*" objectclasses

Does it happen to you too?
Yes. I have fixed the wiki page. The problem is that the attributes in
cn=schema such as attributetypes, objectclasses, matchingrules, etc. are
now operational and must be specified explicitly on the ldapsearch
command line.

Thx+ Peace,
R.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Roberto Polli

Hi Rich,

Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>
> > On RH documentation I read to:
> > - upgrade all masters;
> > - then upgrade slaves;
> > - lately restart.
>
> Yes. This is the recommended procedure.
>
> > This approach seems to lead to some service discontinuity, as - during
> > this migration - I should stop writes to all master/slaves.
> Why?
To avoid discontinuity, I should do a rolling restart, right?
Rolling restart means I have a small time frame T0 where schemas are different
between nodes.

If during T0 a write is replicated between NodeB and NodeA, I suppose
replication will fail due to mismatching schema, right?

> > I found a possible typo here:
> > http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dynamically_Reload_Schema
> Yes. I have fixed the wiki ... attributetypes, objectclasses,
matchingrules, are now operational
is there a way to tell 389 to print all operational attributes?

Thx + Peace,
R:

Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Rich Megginson

On 04/03/2012 02:12 AM, Roberto Polli wrote:

Hi Rich,

Rich Megginson<rmeggins@redhat.com>

On RH documentation I read to:
- upgrade all masters;
- then upgrade slaves;
- lately restart.

Yes. This is the recommended procedure.

This approach seems to lead to some service discontinuity, as - during
this migration - I should stop writes to all master/slaves.

Why?

To avoid discontinuity, I should do a rolling restart, right?
Rolling restart means I have a small time frame T0 where schemas are different
between nodes.

If during T0 a write is replicated between NodeB and NodeA, I suppose
replication will fail due to mismatching schema, right?

Yes.

Alternately, you could update the masters first. If you update the
schema over LDAP to your "primary" master, the schema will be replicated
first, before any data that uses the schema. Note that schema
replication is "single" master. That's why you should pick one master
to be your "primary" master for schema updates.

I found a possible typo here:
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dynamically_Reload_Schema

Yes. I have fixed the wiki ... attributetypes, objectclasses,

matchingrules, are now operational
is there a way to tell 389 to print all operational attributes?

In an ldapsearch request? No.

Thx + Peace,
R: