-   -   389 LDAP Multi-threading question (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-directory/649622-389-ldap-multi-threading-question.html)

"Justin Piszcz" 03-27-2012 09:42 PM

389 LDAP Multi-threading question

Hello,
*
Had an inquiry regarding ns-slapd, was multi-threading always supported from the first public release?
I’ve seen ns-slapd (an older version) sit pegged at or near 100% CPU utilization on a multi-core Xeon system.
*
I’ve read elsewhere that someone has seen it hit 200% on a 2 way Xeon system (from 2007)
http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-directory-users@redhat.com/msg06164.html
*
There are obviously other factors in terms of the DB, what you are doing, in terms of add or add+delete; however was curious if there was an a parameter or a compile time setting that enables/disables threads, if the default was always to use multiple threads(?) or is it the case that there are other non-optimized parameters being used that would not allow ns-slapd to utilize the other N number of cores?
*
Justin.

Rich Megginson 03-27-2012 09:52 PM

389 LDAP Multi-threading question

multi-threading always supported from the first public
release?

Yes.

I’ve seen ns-slapd (an older version) sit
pegged at or near 100% CPU utilization on a multi-core Xeon
system.

Would like to know if you can repeat that with 1.2.10.4.* If so,
please provide platform and details, and a reproducer if possible.

*

I’ve read elsewhere that someone has seen
it hit 200% on a 2 way Xeon system (from 2007)

http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-directory-users@redhat.com/msg06164.html

Sure.* Enabling a very verbose log level will cripple the server
performance.

*

There are obviously other factors in terms
of the DB, what you are doing, in terms of add or add+delete;
however was curious if there was an a parameter or a compile
time setting that enables/disables threads, if the default was
always to use multiple threads(?) or is it the case that there
are other non-optimized parameters being used that would not
allow ns-slapd to utilize the other N number of cores?

The directory server does not know or care about how many cpus/cores
are in the machine.* It relies on the native threading library and
the kernel thread schedule to allocate threads among the cpus/cores.

See

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Configuration_Command_and_File_Reference/Core_Server_Configuration_Reference.html#cnconfig-nsslapd_maxthreadsperconn_Maximum_Threads_per_Conn ection

There is also a "hidden" attribute nsslapd-threadnumber.* By default
this value is 30.* You might be able to achieve better throughput
for your use case by setting this to 2*number of cores on your
machine.* We would be interested in hearing your results if you try
this out.

*

Justin.