Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Petr Spacek

Default bypassing limits for persistent search and specific user

Hello list,

I'm looking for way how to bypass nsslapd-sizelimit and
nsslapd-timelimit for persistent search made by specific user (or
anything made by that user).

Please, can you point me to right place in documentation about
persistent search/user specific settings in 389? I googled for a while,
but I can't find exact way how to accomplish this.

I found attributes nsSizeLimit and nsTimeLimit in
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html-single/Schema_Reference/index.html#nsPagedSizeLimit
, but I'm not sure how to deploy them.

If bypassing is not possible in 389:
Is there any way how to enumerate all records from given subtree
part-by-part? (My guess: VLV or something similar.)

I know only basics about persistent search and next to nothing about
VLV, so sorry if I'm completely wrong.

--- Background / why I needed this / long story ---
FreeIPA project has LDAP plugin for BIND. This plugin pulls DNS records
from LDAP database and populates BIND's internal memory with them.
(Homepage: https://fedorahosted.org/bind-dyndb-ldap/)

This plugin can use persistent search, which enables reflecting changes
in LDAP inside BIND immediately.

At this moment, plugin after start do persistent search for all DNS
records. This single query can lead to tens of thousands records - and
of course fails, because nssldapd-sizelimit stops that.

Another problem arises with databases smaller than sizelimit - query is
ended after timelimit and has to be re-established. It leads to
periodical re-downloading whole DNS DB.

Question is:
It's possible to bypass limits for this connection/user
OR
plugin is completely broken by design?

Thanks for you time.

Petr^2 Spacek @ Red Hat @ Brno office

Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Rich Megginson

[...]

Not specifically for persistent search - see
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/User_Account_Management-Setting_Resource_Limits_Based_on_the_Bind_DN.html

Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Nathan Kinder

I'm looking for way how to bypass nsslapd-sizelimit and
nsslapd-timelimit for persistent search made by specific user (or
anything made by that user).

Please, can you point me to right place in documentation about
persistent search/user specific settings in 389? I googled for a
while, but I can't find exact way how to accomplish this.

You can set user-based limits as shown here:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/User_Account_Management-Setting_Resource_Limits_Based_on_the_Bind_DN.html# Setting_Resource_Limits_Based_on_the_Bind_DN-Setting_Resource_Limits_Using_the_Command_Line

I found attributes nsSizeLimit and nsTimeLimit in
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html-single/Schema_Reference/index.html#nsPagedSizeLimit
, but I'm not sure how to deploy them.

If bypassing is not possible in 389:
Is there any way how to enumerate all records from given subtree
part-by-part? (My guess: VLV or something similar.)
There is VLV, and there is also simple-paged results. Both are methods
that can be used to enumerate through search results in chunks. VLV
requires explicit configuration of a VLV index for the exact search that
you want to perform ahead of time. Simple-paged results can be used
with any search. Here are some details on using simple-paged results:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/using-simple-paged-results.html

[...]

I think setting the limits based on your bind DN should work.

-NGK

Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Petr Spacek

[...]

Absolutely perfect! Thanks a lot for immediate response.

Petr^2 Spacek

Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Petr Spacek

Hello,

I'm looking for way how to bypass nsslapd-sizelimit and
nsslapd-timelimit for persistent search made by specific user (or
anything made by that user).

... snip ...