-   -   Replacing a DS server (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-directory/642289-replacing-ds-server.html)

03-08-2012 02:14 PM

Replacing a DS server

We are replacing one of our two 389 servers. I want to re-use the IP address of the old server on the new one. What’s the correct order of events for replication, shutdown and replacement?
*
Thanks, Mike

Gerhardus Geldenhuis 03-08-2012 02:22 PM

Replacing a DS server

HiIts difficult to say wiithout knowing how you have configured your two servers...
In setups that I have had previosly I just rebuild the server (OS) and install 389.before I continue I remove the "old" server from the config database as that was multimastered as well.
I then continue the 389 registration by running setup-ds.plI have lost my exact steps that I have followed but basically if you have a multimaster environment the new server will just be viewed as a very out of date master and for a while will be busy. You can populate it from the gui which will repopulate the database.*

Regards
We are replacing one of our two 389 servers. I want to re-use the IP address of the old server on the new one. What’s the correct order of events for replication, shutdown and replacement?

*
Thanks, Mike

Gerhardus Geldenhuis

03-08-2012 04:37 PM

Replacing a DS server

@Gerhardus - Thanks for your help. I inherited the setup. 2 servers with multi-master replication on RH 5.6 / 5.7. The new replacement server will be CentOS 6.2. Version info follows.
*
The “old” RH servers:
[root@x-389-01 src]# ns-slapd -v
389 Project
389-Directory/1.2.2 B2009.237.2042
*
[root@x-389-02 ~]# ns-slapd -v
389 Project
389-Directory/1.2.2 B2009.237.2042
*
The CentOS server:
[root@x-389-01_v ~]# ns-slapd -v
389 Project
389-Directory/1.2.10.3 B2012.065.2318
*
Mike
*
*

Gerhardus Geldenhuis 03-08-2012 04:45 PM

Replacing a DS server

Not sure I was much help. I am sure Rich will jump into the conversation. I am proper back at work next week and can then dig around and give you a more complete answer with regards to exact steps if you can wait that long.

Regards