-   -   Importing Thunderbird AddressBook into LDAP (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-directory/529347-importing-thunderbird-addressbook-into-ldap.html)

Christopher Wood 05-22-2011 07:57 PM

Importing Thunderbird AddressBook into LDAP

My short trite answer is:
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#Troubleshooting

What errors are you getting?
What version are you running?
When you ldapsearch on one of your pre-existing entries, does it
look like what you posted below?

On 22/05/11 03:10 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:

People,

I have installed the 389 DS on F14 x86_64 OK and can see a few people
that I added with the 389 Console in both Thunderbird and Squirrelmail
but now I want to do a bulk import of my TB addressbook into the 389 DB.
I can export the TB AB to an ldif file but it fails to import using
the 389 "Import Databases" fn - I presume I have to somehow massage the
LDIF file to make it compatible? Here is a complete record:

dn: cn=Tina XXXXXX,mail=TXXXXXX@nYYYYYYY.com
objectclass: top
objectclass: person
objectclass: organizationalPerson
objectclass: inetOrgPerson
objectclass: mozillaAbPersonAlpha
givenName: Tina
sn: Franks
cn: Tina XXXXXX
mozillaNickname: tinaX
mail: TXXXXXXX@nYYYYYYY.com
modifytimestamp: 48a5a25d

I guess one of the objectlasses should be "People"?

Thanks,

Phil.

Carsten Grzemba 05-23-2011 06:06 AM

Importing Thunderbird AddressBook into LDAP

I guess the standard schema of 389Ds do not know objectclass mozillaAbPersonAlpha and the attribute mozillanickname

You can extend your schema with the 389console or remove (rename) the mozilla oc and attr

Regards Carsten

Philip Rhoades 05-23-2011 09:48 AM

Importing Thunderbird AddressBook into LDAP

Carsten,

On 2011-05-23 16:06, Carsten Grzemba wrote:
> I guess the standard schema of 389Ds do not know objectclass
> mozillaAbPersonAlpha and the attribute mozillanickname
>
> You can extend your schema with the 389console or remove (rename) the
> mozilla oc and attr

I removed all the lines with those words in them but when I import the
resulting file it still seems that all of the records are rejected (ie
no new users show up on the 389 Console).

Thanks,

Phil.

> Regards Carsten
>
> ----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ----- Von: Christopher
> Wood<christopher_wood@pobox.com> Datum: Sonntag, 22. Mai 2011, 21:57
> Betreff: Re: [389-users] Importing Thunderbird AddressBook into LDAP
> An: 389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
>

> My short trite answer is:
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#Troubleshooting
>

> -> What errors are you getting?
>
> -> What version are you running?
>
> -> When you ldapsearch on one of your pre-existing entries, does it
> look like what you posted below?
>

> On 22/05/11 03:10 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>
>> People,
>>
>> I have installed the 389 DS on F14 x86_64 OK and can see a few
>> people that I added with the 389 Console in both Thunderbird and
>> Squirrelmail but now I want to do a bulk import of my TB
>> addressbook into the 389 DB. I can export the TB AB to an ldif file
>> but it fails to import using the 389 "Import Databases" fn - I
>> presume I have to somehow massage the LDIF file to make it
>> compatible? Here is a complete record:
>>
>> dn: cn=Tina XXXXXX,mail=TXXXXXX@nYYYYYYY.com objectclass: top
>> objectclass: person objectclass: organizationalPerson objectclass:
>> inetOrgPerson objectclass: mozillaAbPersonAlpha givenName: Tina sn:
>> Franks cn: Tina XXXXXX mozillaNickname: tinaX mail:
>> TXXXXXXX@nYYYYYYY.com modifytimestamp: 48a5a25d
>>
>> I guess one of the objectlasses should be "People"?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil.

Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au

Carsten Grzemba 05-23-2011 10:44 AM

Importing Thunderbird AddressBook into LDAP

Hi,

now the output in /var/log/dirserv/slapd-<inst>/access would be very helpful.
Btw. the dn line means, that you must have a suffix with the dn:

mail=TXXXXXX@nYYYYYYY.com

which is not common.

Regards

Rich Megginson 05-23-2011 02:32 PM

On 05/22/2011 01:10 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> I have installed the 389 DS on F14 x86_64 OK and can see a few people
> that I added with the 389 Console in both Thunderbird and Squirrelmail
> but now I want to do a bulk import of my TB addressbook into the 389 DB.
> I can export the TB AB to an ldif file but it fails to import using
> the 389 "Import Databases" fn - I presume I have to somehow massage the
> LDIF file to make it compatible? Here is a complete record:
>
> dn: cn=Tina XXXXXX,mail=TXXXXXX@nYYYYYYY.com
> objectclass: top
> objectclass: person
> objectclass: organizationalPerson
> objectclass: inetOrgPerson
> objectclass: mozillaAbPersonAlpha
> givenName: Tina
> sn: Franks
> cn: Tina XXXXXX
> mozillaNickname: tinaX
> mail: TXXXXXXX@nYYYYYYY.com
> modifytimestamp: 48a5a25d
>
> I guess one of the objectlasses should be "People"?
No. There are some problems with the dn:
1) Only use 'cn' in the dn if you are absolutely sure that the cn value
will be unique - that is, that no two people will have the same first
and last name. Unless this is a trivial deployment, you will want to
use something else that is usually unique, like a userid, because there
is no way to guarantee that two people will not have the same name.
2) Don't use both 'cn' and 'mail' in the dn: (in fact you probably want
to use a userid as in 1)
3) You need a suffix. By default, 389 creates a suffix based on your
domain name e.g. dc=example,dc=com. The typical dn would be something
like dn: uid=theuserid,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com

Christopher Wood 05-23-2011 03:08 PM

On 23/05/11 02:06 AM, Carsten Grzemba wrote:

I guess the standard schema of 389Ds do not know objectclass mozillaAbPersonAlpha and the attribute mozillanickname

My 389 install (rpm via epel) has those:

[root@cwldap-01 ~]# grep mozillaAbPersonAlpha
/etc/dirsrv/schema/60mozilla.ldif

# mozillaAbPersonAlpha

* NAME 'mozillaAbPersonAlpha'

[root@cwldap-01 ~]# grep mozillaNickname
/etc/dirsrv/schema/60mozilla.ldif

* NAME ( 'mozillaNickname' 'xmozillanickname' )

* MAY ( c $ description $ displayName $ facsimileTelephoneNumber $
givenName $ homePhone $ l $ mail $ mobile $ mozillaCustom1 $
mozillaCustom2 $ mozillaCustom3 $ mozillaCustom4 $
mozillaHomeCountryName $ mozillaHomeLocalityName $
mozillaHomePostalCode $ mozillaHomeState $ mozillaHomeStreet $
mozillaHomeStreet2 $ mozillaHomeUrl $ mozillaNickname $
mozillaSecondEmail $ mozillaUseHtmlMail $ mozillaWorkStreet2 $
mozillaWorkUrl $ nsAIMid $ o $ ou $ pager $ postalCode $ postOfficeBox
$ sn $ st $ street $ telephoneNumber $ title )