Old 05-03-2011, 04:41 AM
Karoly Czovek

Default proper way of backup

'Morning,
what is the proper way of backing up 389DS server data, from commndline, what can be restoren even a server reinstall?

--*
Karoly CZOVEK
Global Systems Administrator
MoveOne IT Department

Eastern Europe - Balkans - CIS& *Central Asia - Middle East& *Africa -
Asia Pacific
phone: +36 1 266 0181 - ext.6710
mobile: +36 70 708 9953
skype: mo_karoly.czovek
email:*karoly.czovek@moveoneinc.com
web:*http://www.moveoneinc.com

Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Diego Woitasen

what is the proper way of backing up 389DS server data, from commndline, what can be restoren even a server reinstall?

--*
Karoly CZOVEK
Global Systems Administrator
MoveOne IT Department

Eastern Europe - Balkans - CIS& *Central Asia - Middle East& *Africa -
Asia Pacific
phone: +36 1 266 0181 - ext.6710

mobile: +36 70 708 9953
skype: mo_karoly.czovek
email:*karoly.czovek@moveoneinc.com
web:*http://www.moveoneinc.com

I prefer db2ldif command. It dumps the databases to LDIF and I think it's safer than copy the databases.

Regards,*Diego

--
Diego Woitasen

Old 05-04-2011, 06:20 AM
Juan Asensio Sánchez

I think that to use db2ldif you must (or should) have the process
stopped because it access directly to the database files while they
are in use. We use db2ldif.pl (the same, but instead of access
directly to the database files, it creates a task in the directory
server), or directly create a task in the directory server to export
the databases.

Regards.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Richard Megginson

> I think that to use db2ldif you must (or should) have the process
> stopped because it access directly to the database files while they
> are in use. We use db2ldif.pl (the same, but instead of access
> directly to the database files, it creates a task in the directory
> server), or directly create a task in the directory server to export
> the databases.

There are two backup methods:
1) binary database backup (db2bak, db2bak.pl) - this useful for short term backups - the backups are quick and easy to restore from
2) LDIF database dump (db2ldif, db2ldif.pl) - this is useful for long term backups

All of these can be used while the server is running.