Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Karoly Czovek

Default high-rate queries

Hi All,*

Is there any reason, workaround for the 389DS about high-rate queries?Acting as LDAP server for one exim and 5 postfix servers, and for 6 courier-imap servers, libnss-pam
After a time, my clients cannot connect to the 389DS, ldap queries coming back with temporary lookup faulure.The 389DS has 2 cores with 2GB of ram, related settigns are the following:

# Open file descriptors* * * * *- * * * *nofile * * * *28192
# sysctl parametersnet.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 120net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 5net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 2

After I restarting the service, everything is going fine for a while.OS: Centos 5.5

Any recommendations?

--*
Karoly CZOVEK
Global Systems Administrator
MoveOne IT Department

Eastern Europe - Balkans - CIS& *Central Asia - Middle East& *Africa -
Asia Pacific
phone: +36 1 266 0181 - ext.6710
mobile: +36 70 708 9953
skype: mo_karoly.czovek
email:*karoly.czovek@moveoneinc.com
web:*http://www.moveoneinc.com

Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Hi Karoly,
You give very little information to go by… it might help to provide log files error and maybe access. Try different loglevels for the error log and explain in a bit more detail what is going wrong with your installation.
¬*
Regards
¬*

Old 03-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Karoly Czovek

Ok. Migrating from openldap with 4 slave replicas to 389DS,so i am new in the world of 389DS but my boss is forcing it cos have nice UI
Where i can check for verbose error logs or increase log level?

On Mar 28, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:Hi Karoly,You give very little information to go by‚Ķ it might help to provide log files error and maybe access. Try different loglevels for the error log and explain in a bit more detail what is going wrong with your installation.¬*Regards¬*From:¬*389-users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org¬*[mailto:389-users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org]¬*On Behalf Of¬*Karoly Czovek

Old 03-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Hi Karoly,
When you run the 389-console and double click on the Directory Server component of you installation you will have the ability to change the loglevel. Select the configuration tab and then select access log. That will show you were the access log is stored. You can also select error log and select the log levels that you want to see monitored. You can select multiple levels at once.
¬*
Additional I would recommend enabling the Audit Log before you change any of the above as that will tell you how to make the changes using LDIF files and thus not needing the GUI.
¬*
Hope that helps.
¬*
Regards
¬*

Old 03-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Karoly Czovek

OK, found it.Disabled the restart cronjob, let me see what happens... error log was set to connections, i guessi'll need loglevel.
Any idea, what settings i need basicly @server side, with so 'high' connection rate?

On Mar 28, 2011, at 3:46 PM, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:Hi Karoly,When you run the 389-console and double click on the Directory Server component of you installation you will have the ability to change the loglevel. Select the configuration tab and then select access log. That will show you were the access log is stored. You can also select error log and select the log levels that you want to see monitored. You can select multiple levels at once.¬*Additional I would recommend enabling the Audit Log before you change any of the above as that will tell you how to make the changes using LDIF files and thus not needing the GUI.¬*Hope that helps.¬*Regards¬*From:¬*389-users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org¬*[mailto:389-users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org]¬*On Behalf Of¬*Karoly Czovek

Old 03-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Rich Megginson

Is there any reason, workaround for the 389DS about high-rate
queries?
Acting as LDAP server for one exim and 5 postfix servers, and
for 6 courier-imap servers, libnss-pam

What version of 389-ds-base?* 32-bit or 64-bit?

After a time, my clients cannot connect to the 389DS, ldap
queries coming back with temporary lookup faulure.

What are the exact client error codes/messages?* Any errors in the
dirsrv errors log?* Can you post excerpts of the dirsrv access log
from around the time of the client errors?

see http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Performance_Tuning#Linux

Old 03-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Rich Megginson

the server is 32bit, the exact client error message is cannot
connect to the server.

But what is the error code?* 80?* 81?* 91?* If you can reproduce
with ldapsearch, in the shell, $? should hold the error code

Old 03-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Karoly Czovek

i can reproduce, but the server is in production.if the clients got this error then i also unable to connect with ldapsearch.
just now appeared, i have full verbose trace logs, but nothin intrestring,but a ton from theese*
28/Mar/2011:10:33:00 -0400] - => slapi_reslimit_get_integer_limit() conn=0xb023ffa8, handle=3[28/Mar/2011:10:33:00 -0400] - <= slapi_reslimit_get_integer_limit() returning NO VALUE[28/Mar/2011:10:33:00 -0400] - => slapi_reslimit_get_integer_limit() conn=0xb023fed8, handle=3[28/Mar/2011:10:33:00 -0400] - <= slapi_reslimit_get_integer_limit() returning NO VALUE[28/Mar/2011:10:33:00 -0400] - => slapi_reslimit_get_integer_limit() conn=0xb023fe08, handle=3[28/Mar/2011:10:33:00 -0400] - <= slapi_reslimit_get_integer_limit() returning NO VALUE[28/Mar/2011:10:33:00 -0400] - => slapi_reslimit_get_integer_limit() conn=0xb023fd38, handle=3[28/Mar/2011:10:33:00 -0400] - <= slapi_reslimit_get_integer_limit() returning NO VALUE[28/Mar/2011:10:33:00 -0400] - => slapi_reslimit_get_integer_limit() conn=0xb023fc68, handle=3

for the period. increased the files and restarted the srv, let me see what happens...any other idea, advice what settings are *needed for large amount of queries from 389ds *ldap?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Rich Megginson

i can reproduce, but the server is in production.
if the clients got this error then i also unable to connect
with ldapsearch.

Ok, what is the error code?

[...]

What error log level are you using?* These messages are ok.* The
errors log messages are going to be unhelpful at best, and
misleading at worst, if you use specific log levels like CONN and
TRACE, without looking at the code.

for the period. increased the files and restarted the srv,
let me see what happens...
any other idea, advice what settings are *needed for large
amount of queries from 389ds *ldap?

I still don't have enough information from you to make that
determination.* What version of 389-ds-base are you using?* What do
you see in the access log from around the time of a failed client
connection attempt, from ldapsearch or from some other client?