Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Juan Asensio Sánchez

Default Change of attibute syntaxes between versions

Hi

We had in version 1.1.3, some values in the attribute
destinationIndicator with tildes and special chars; in that version
the syntax of the attribute was Directory String. We have updated to
version 1.2.5, and now, when running syntax-validate.pl, it reports
that those values violate the syntax, because the syntax of the
attribute has changed to Printable String. Why has the syntax changed?
How can I solve this issue? We have a replicated environment, so I
can't (or shouldn't) modify the standard schema files. The same
happens with the attribute searchGuide.

Something similar happens with the attribute nsViewFilter, altough
this attribute has not changed its syntax across these two versions.
Ths script reports that this filter violates the syntax:

(ou=*ou=AABBB,ou=Recursos,o=XXXX,dc=YYY,dc=ZZ)

But I think this filter is valid. Why is the tool reporting that error?

Also, if I try to import an exported database that contains those
values, the server fails because of the syntax errors.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Nathan Kinder

On 03/16/2011 04:31 AM, Juan Asensio Sánchez wrote:
> Hi
>
> We had in version 1.1.3, some values in the attribute
> destinationIndicator with tildes and special chars; in that version
> the syntax of the attribute was Directory String. We have updated to
> version 1.2.5, and now, when running syntax-validate.pl, it reports
> that those values violate the syntax, because the syntax of the
> attribute has changed to Printable String. Why has the syntax changed?
A number of the syntaxes changed to match the current RFCs. The
destinationIndicator task is specified as a Printable String in RFC 4519.
> How can I solve this issue? We have a replicated environment, so I
> can't (or shouldn't) modify the standard schema files. The same
> happens with the attribute searchGuide.
If you can not follow the syntax rules of the attributes, you may need
to disable syntax checking. This is not desirable, but you may not have
any other choice if you can't change your values to follow the rules.
If you wish to turn syntax checking off, set "nsslapd-syntaxcheck: off"
in "cn=config".
> Something similar happens with the attribute nsViewFilter, altough
> this attribute has not changed its syntax across these two versions.
> Ths script reports that this filter violates the syntax:
>
> (ou=*ou=AABBB,ou=Recursos,o=XXXX,dc=YYY,dc=ZZ)
>
> But I think this filter is valid. Why is the tool reporting that error?
Older versions of 389 (or Fedora DS) did not have syntax checking at
all. The nsViewFilter attribute uses the IA5 String syntax, which
should allow all of these characters. Some more details on this error
and the steps you took to hit it would be useful.
> Also, if I try to import an exported database that contains those
> values, the server fails because of the syntax errors.
Yes, syntax checking is run during import. If you had old values that
are now illegal, you will get these errors if syntax checking is enabled.