Old 02-19-2011, 03:13 AM

Default 389 Server and MMR

Hello,

I'm trying to set up 389 on a CenOS 5.5 machine using the
setup-ds-admin.pl script and the mmr.pl script. They seem to be
inconsistent with each other.

setup-ds-admin.pl wants a "directory server identifier" (defaults to
short name). This becomes the slapd instance name in /etc/dirsrv.

mmr.pl wants a fqdn for host1 and host2. It then creates an instance
in /etc/dirsrv based on this long name (failed attempt to update the
existing instance??).

Henceforth, a "service dirsrv restart" will try to stop and start
/etc/dirsrv/slapd-hostname and /etc/dirsrv/slapd-fqdn. The later will
fail and replication will no succeed. setup-ds-admin.pl fails if you
give fqdn as an identifier. mmr.pl fails if you give a short name for
host.

And there is no method to really start over. setup-ds-admin.pl seems
to spew files and directories across at least /etc, /var/spool and
/var/run.

Am I missing something? What is the recommended way of doing this?

Thanks
Chuck

Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Rich Megginson

On 02/18/2011 09:13 PM, cfr100@acm.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to set up 389 on a CenOS 5.5 machine using the
> setup-ds-admin.pl script and the mmr.pl script. They seem to be
> inconsistent with each other.
>
> setup-ds-admin.pl wants a "directory server identifier" (defaults to
> short name). This becomes the slapd instance name in /etc/dirsrv.
>
> mmr.pl wants a fqdn for host1 and host2. It then creates an instance
> in /etc/dirsrv based on this long name (failed attempt to update the
> existing instance??).
>
> Henceforth, a "service dirsrv restart" will try to stop and start
> /etc/dirsrv/slapd-hostname and /etc/dirsrv/slapd-fqdn. The later will
> fail and replication will no succeed. setup-ds-admin.pl fails if you
> give fqdn as an identifier. mmr.pl fails if you give a short name for
> host.
>
> And there is no method to really start over. setup-ds-admin.pl seems
> to spew files and directories across at least /etc, /var/spool and
> /var/run.
Use remove-ds.pl -i slapd-hostname or slapd-fqdn to remove that instance.