-   -   (Insufficient 'write' privileges to the 'userPassword') when executing passwd change (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-directory/491220-insufficient-write-privileges-userpassword-when-executing-passwd-change.html)

"Beamon, John" 02-18-2011 05:18 PM

(Insufficient 'write' privileges to the 'userPassword') when executing passwd change

This is a new install, straight from the docs with 4 boxes in an MMR setup. Attempting a password change from a Linux command line, I get this feedback.

$ passwd
Changing password for user jbeamon.
Enter login(LDAP) password:
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
LDAP password information update failed: Insufficient access
Insufficient 'write' privilege to the 'userPassword' attribute of entry 'uid=jbeamon,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com'.

passwd: Permission denied

I zeroed out the access and error logs in advance. The error log was empty; the access log was nothing but SRCH, BIND, and RESULT entries for my account. Nothing about access problems or attempted modifies.

A web search for this error message revealed one conversation in Jan 2009 that ended with "I fixed my aci and the problem went away". I haven't knowingly changed any acis since install. At the global level, user may change password. At the userRoot suffix level, user can change password and fine-grained policy is enabled. A password reset by directory manager succeeds and replicates around. Does anyone else recognize this?

-j