Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Gerrard Geldenhuis

Default Triggers

Hi
I was wondering if there is a universal "trigger" system that I could use in 389 to for example let me know when a group gets a new member, or loses a member.

The admin guide
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html-single/Administration_Guide/index.html

has only 9 entries for the word trigger. The USN plugin looked the most similar to what I want to do.

My aim is to be able to monitor for group modifications and email someone appropriate when the group membership changes. I was hoping this is something I can achieve without to much or any external programming as I would like it to be contained logically within 389.

I would appreciate any guidance on how to go about doing this and what other people have done. Do I need to write my own plugin?

Regards

Old 02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Andrey Ivanov

Hi Gerrard ,

you could use a persistent search on your group to achieve that.
Otherwise you need to write a server plug-in...

Here is a past discussion of persistent search with perl code :
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/389-users/2009-August/009991.html

@+

Old 02-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Rich Megginson

On 02/03/2011 05:07 AM, Andrey Ivanov wrote:
> Hi Gerrard ,
>
> you could use a persistent search on your group to achieve that.
> Otherwise you need to write a server plug-in...
>
> Here is a past discussion of persistent search with perl code :
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/389-users/2009-August/009991.html
You can use persistent search in conjunction with the Retro Changelog so
that if your persistent search is interrupted, you can resume from the
point you were cut off.

You could also enable the audit log, and even use that in conjunction
with a named pipe audit log python script.

There really isn't anything in the LDAP world analogous to SQL
Triggers/Stored Procedures because LDAP has no "language" like SQL.