Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 PM

Default Replication

OK, so we are testing 389-ds in our environment (version 1.2.7.5).* We have 1 machine set up with user accounts, and we just set another one up.* The new one doesn't have any accounts or anything on it yet.* We would like to get replication going between the 2 DS's, but can't find any current documention on how to do it.* When we set up the 2nd machine, we set it up as if it were its own DS (i.e. not tied into the existing one).* Not sure it that is relevant, but I thought I'd mention it for full disclosure.

We'd like to have this be a 2-way multi-master replication, so if our main DS server ever went down, the 2nd one could pick up and service login requests.* Is there any current documention that explains this anywhere?* Is multi-master the correct method to use for this type of setup?

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Devine
Common ARTS Software Development
AJT-144
(609)485-4218
Harry.Devine@faa.gov

Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 PM
"Hendricks, Todd"

Harry,

Perhaps this document might be of help?

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:MultiMasterReplication

Thanks,
- Todd

Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, harry.devine@faa.gov wrote:

> OK, so we are testing 389-ds in our environment (version 1.2.7.5). We have 1 machine set up with user accounts, and we just set another one up. The new one doesn't have any accounts or anything on it yet. We would like to get replication going between the 2 DS's, but can't find any current documention on how to do it. When we set up the 2nd machine, we set it up as if it were its own DS (i.e. not tied into the existing one). Not sure it that is relevant, but I thought I'd mention it for full disclosure.
>
> We'd like to have this be a 2-way multi-master replication, so if our main DS server ever went down, the 2nd one could pick up and service login requests. Is there any current documention that explains this anywhere? Is multi-master the correct method to use for this type of setup?

The 389 wiki has a *ton* of documentation on replication (and just about
everything else). A good start for you might be here:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:MultiMasterReplication

It's not clear from your description exactly what your requirements are,
but if you want to be able to write to either server at any time,
multi-master is the way to go. If you just need a readable fallback
server, it may not be.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Nope.* We've been reading that, and it seems to be outdated.* It references the application being stored and logged at /opt/fedora-ds, but the current installation doesn't reside there.* Plus, the script seems to be a "smoke and mirrors" implementation, and we'd really like to understand what's going on, where, and why.

Thanks for the link though!* Much appreciated.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Rich Megginson

OK, so we are testing 389-ds in our environment (version
1.2.7.5).* We have 1 machine set up with user accounts, and we
just set another one up.* The new one doesn't have any
accounts or anything on it yet.* We would like to get
replication going between the 2 DS's, but can't find any
current documention on how to do it.* When we set up the 2nd
machine, we set it up as if it were its own DS (i.e. not tied
into the existing one).* Not sure it that is relevant, but I
thought I'd mention it for full disclosure.

Should not be a problem.

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html-single/Administration_Guide/index.html#Managing_Replication

Is multi-master the correct method to use for this type of
setup?

Yes.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 PM

We just ran the mmr.pl script from server 1, and the data got replicated across to server 2.* If we create a new user on server 2, it does not get replicated to server 1.* It appears to be a 1 way replication.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Rich Megginson

the mmr.pl script from server 1, and the data got replicated
across to server 2.* If we create a new user on server 2, it
does not get replicated to server 1.* It appears to be a 1 way
replication.

mmr.pl has bit rotted - no one maintains it any more - you're on
your own if you decide to use it - patches/maintainer welcome

Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM
crashingdaily

On Jan 11, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:

> On 01/11/2011 01:40 PM, harry.devine@faa.gov wrote:
>>
>> We just ran the mmr.pl script from server 1, and the data got
>> replicated across to server 2. If we create a new user on server
>> 2, it does not get replicated to server 1. It appears to be a 1
>> way replication.
> mmr.pl has bit rotted - no one maintains it any more - you're on
> your own if you decide to use it - patches/maintainer welcome

I've successfully used mmr.pl (last time with 389 1.2.6.1). I would
try restarting your two 389 instances, and if that doesn't magically
fix it, use the mmr.pl script to --remove the existing replication
agreement and then add it back while keeping an eye on the 389 logs
for errors. I've had rare cases where I've had to run mmr.pl twice to
get it to take.

The --with-ssl option was broken in the last version I used (but
that's clearly not the cause of Harry's issue). For working patched
version, should you want SSL replication, see
http://crashingdaily.wordpress.com/2010/11/13/fixing-the-mmr-pl-script-for-ssl/

>> Any thoughts?
>> Harry
>>
>> Harry Devine
>> Common ARTS Software Development
>> AJT-144
>> (609)485-4218
>> Harry.Devine@faa.gov

>>> (609)485-4218

Old 01-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Brian LaMere

Odd, I got MMR working with SSL...and I only referenced that documentation (well, and assistance from this list and the IRC room...). *It was 1.2.6, but surely that didn't really change things?
Sounds like everyone is agreeing (even if indirectly) that the documentation is outdated though - is it due to work focusing on FreeIPA? *Some say good software with bad documentation is worse than bad software with good documentation...I'm a hands-on guy so I would disagree, but I do see the point none the less.

I did make a few howtos for internal use, covering everything from setting up the first server, getting SSL working, getting replication working, then getting OSX and Linux hosts pulling from the mess. *They were docs meant for me to read (complete with the shorthand and shortcuts that I understand) but if you have problems then let me know and I'll see what I can clean up. *As it so happens, I'm setting up an all new MMR 389 pair in the next few days (our company is somewhat splitting, and I don't want to have it be different trees on the same directory)...so I'll know pretty quick if something has changed the last half-year. *Hell, if you were maybe going to be working on it in the next few days anyway, we can sortof step through it together online - just let me know.

Brian

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM, crashingdaily <crashingdaily@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jan 11, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:

> On 01/11/2011 01:40 PM, harry.devine@faa.gov wrote:

>> We just ran the mmr.pl script from server 1, and the data got

>> replicated across to server 2. *If we create a new user on server

>> 2, it does not get replicated to server 1. *It appears to be a 1

>> way replication.

> mmr.pl has bit rotted - no one maintains it any more - you're on

> your own if you decide to use it - patches/maintainer welcome

I've successfully used mmr.pl (last time with 389 1.2.6.1). I would

try restarting your two 389 instances, and if that doesn't magically

fix it, use the mmr.pl script to --remove the existing replication

agreement and then add it back while keeping an eye on the 389 logs

for errors. I've had rare cases where I've had to run mmr.pl twice to

get it to take.

The --with-ssl option was broken in the last version I used (but

that's clearly not the cause of Harry's issue). For working patched

version, should you want SSL replication, see

http://crashingdaily.wordpress.com/2010/11/13/fixing-the-mmr-pl-script-for-ssl/

>> Any thoughts?

>> Harry

>> Harry Devine

>> Common ARTS Software Development

>> AJT-144

>> (609)485-4218

>> Harry.Devine@faa.gov

>> -----Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com> wrote: -----

>> To: "General discussion list for the 389 Directory server project."

>> <389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

>> From: Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com>

>> Date: 01/11/2011 03:09PM

>> cc: Harry Devine/ACT/FAA@FAA, Ted Rush/ACT/FAA@FAA

>> Subject: Re: [389-users] Replication

>> On 01/11/2011 12:53 PM, harry.devine@faa.gov wrote:

>>> OK, so we are testing 389-ds in our environment (version

>>> 1.2.7.5). *We have 1 machine set up with user accounts, and we

>>> just set another one up. *The new one doesn't have any accounts or

>>> anything on it yet. *We would like to get replication going

>>> between the 2 DS's, but can't find any current documention on how

>>> to do it. *When we set up the 2nd machine, we set it up as if it

>>> were its own DS (i.e. not tied into the existing one). *Not sure

>>> it that is relevant, but I thought I'd mention it for full

>>> disclosure.

>> Should not be a problem.

>>> We'd like to have this be a 2-way multi-master replication, so if

>>> our main DS server ever went down, the 2nd one could pick up and

>>> service login requests. *Is there any current documention that

>>> explains this anywhere?

>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html-single/Administration_Guide/index.html#Managing_Replication

>>> Is multi-master the correct method to use for this type of setup?

>> Yes.

>>> Thanks,

>>> Harry

Old 01-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Rich Megginson

Odd, I got MMR working with SSL...and I only
referenced that documentation
which documentation?

(well, and assistance from this list and the IRC
room...). *It was 1.2.6, but surely that didn't really change
things?
It hasn't changed between 1.2.6 and 1.2.7

Sounds like everyone is agreeing (even if indirectly) that
the documentation is outdated though

Which documentation?

[...]

I have mmr.pl in my private github repo - if anyone wants to send me
patches, I will push them.

wrote:

>>> OK, so we are testing 389-ds in our
environment (version

>>> 1.2.7.5). *We have 1 machine set up with
user accounts, and we

>>> just set another one up. *The new one
doesn't have any accounts or

>>> anything on it yet. *We would like to get
replication going

>>> between the 2 DS's, but can't find any
current documention on how

>>> to do it. *When we set up the 2nd machine,
we set it up as if it

>>> were its own DS (i.e. not tied into the
existing one). *Not sure

>>> it that is relevant, but I thought I'd
mention it for full

>>> disclosure.

>> Should not be a problem.

>>> We'd like to have this be a 2-way
multi-master replication, so if

>>> our main DS server ever went down, the 2nd
one could pick up and

>>> service login requests. *Is there any
current documention that

>>> explains this anywhere?

>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html-single/Administration_Guide/index.html#Managing_Replication

>>> Is multi-master the correct method to use
for this type of setup?

>> Yes.

>>> Thanks,

>>> Harry