Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Questions about groups and group IDs

We are planning out how we are going
to move from Active Directory to 389-ds. *We can add users to our
test environment successfully, and give the accounts the proper information
(uid, shell, etc.). *However, 1 area that we are getting stumped at
is groups. *In our Active Directory currently, we have several groups
that we put our users into based on their function. *

Those groups have unique group IDs.
*However, when I make a group on 389-ds, I don't have any way of specifying
a group ID. *I can make a new user and give it a group ID by default,
but that group ID doesn't exist anywhere and I can't find where to assign
it or create it. *Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Harry

Harry Devine

Common ARTS Software Development

AJT-144

(609)485-4218

Harry.Devine@faa.gov--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Angel Bosch Mora

----- Missatge original -----
> We are planning out how we are going to move from Active Directory to
> 389-ds. We can add users to our test environment successfully, and
> give the accounts the proper information (uid, shell, etc.). However,
> 1 area that we are getting stumped at is groups. In our Active
> Directory currently, we have several groups that we put our users into
> based on their function.
>
> Those groups have unique group IDs. However, when I make a group on
> 389-ds, I don't have any way of specifying a group ID. I can make a
> new user and give it a group ID by default, but that group ID doesn't
> exist anywhere and I can't find where to assign it or create it. Any
> ideas on this?

you need to use objectClass: posixGroup in your group template. in theory posixGroup and groupOfNames are structural object classes and cannot be combined, but in practice there's a variation of the RFC that allows to use posixGroup as auxiliar.

http://osdir.com/ml/ldap.umich/2006-07/msg00015.html

regards,

abosch

Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Tim Warren

Or just create your own schema*extension*to cover what you need. *Its very easy to accomplish as long as you plan it right. *Coming from AD land you're probably convinced to stay in the "box" that ms constrains you into but its very doable. *If your converting just use the same or near the same data type for group ID and naming. *it makes it that much easier to port your app over to the new*environment. *There are differences in the way 389 and AD behave but its not that big and can be overcome easily to ease app migration.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Carsten Grzemba

Do you mean that is missing in the admin console for the groups the extension for the Posix attributes?
I have developed an editor extension for the Posix group attributes and can make this available to the 389 project.
With this extension you can assign a group the gidnumber and the memberuid's.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Rich Megginson

Do you mean that is missing in the admin console for the groups the extension for the Posix attributes?
I have developed an editor extension for the Posix group attributes and can make this available to the 389 project.
With this extension you can assign a group the gidnumber and the memberuid's.

I would be very interested in getting this into the console source.