Old 11-29-2010, 09:03 PM
brandon

Default How to get alternate versions of src RPM's via yum, or better yet without yum?

Is there an easier way to get the SRC RPMs without YUM?

I find the YUM repo a very frustrating way of getting the software. I
want the the src RPMs so I can rebuild them myself, but I don't want to
get the version that is pushed via yum by default. I have F13, which is
pulling 389-ds-base 1.2.7.1. I want the latest stable, 1.2.6 and its
various dependencies.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

-Brandon

Old 11-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Rich Megginson

On 11/29/2010 03:03 PM, brandon wrote:
> Is there an easier way to get the SRC RPMs without YUM?
>
> I find the YUM repo a very frustrating way of getting the software. I
> want the the src RPMs so I can rebuild them myself, but I don't want to
> get the version that is pushed via yum by default. I have F13, which is
> pulling 389-ds-base 1.2.7.1. I want the latest stable, 1.2.6 and its
> various dependencies.
>
> Suggestions?
I'm not sure how to provide what you want. You say you want the latest
stable - for F13, that is 1.2.7.1 and the other
dependencies/co-components such as 389-admin-1.1.13, 389-adminutil, etc.

If you would rather use the latest 1.2.6 which is 1.2.6.1, I can show
you where to get the srpm, but how do you know which other components to
use with that?

The fedora site is here:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/
the base OS release srpms are at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/<VERSION>/Everything/source/SRPMS/
For updates, the srpms are at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/<VERSION>/SRPMS/

Old 11-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Nathan Kinder

On 11/29/2010 02:03 PM, brandon wrote:
> Is there an easier way to get the SRC RPMs without YUM?
>
> I find the YUM repo a very frustrating way of getting the software. I
> want the the src RPMs so I can rebuild them myself, but I don't want to
> get the version that is pushed via yum by default. I have F13, which is
> pulling 389-ds-base 1.2.7.1. I want the latest stable, 1.2.6 and its
> various dependencies.
389-ds-base-1.2.7.1 is the latest stable release. It was pushed to the
stable repository over the weekend on F-13. It it currently in the
queue to be pushed to stable for F-14.

You can see the older versions of available packages via yum by doing a
"yum list available --showduplicates". You can then install the version
you want explicitly.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 PM
brandon

On 11/29/2010 03:09 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 03:03 PM, brandon wrote:
>> Is there an easier way to get the SRC RPMs without YUM?
>>
>> I find the YUM repo a very frustrating way of getting the software. I
>> want the the src RPMs so I can rebuild them myself, but I don't want to
>> get the version that is pushed via yum by default. I have F13, which is
>> pulling 389-ds-base 1.2.7.1. I want the latest stable, 1.2.6 and its
>> various dependencies.
>>
>> Suggestions?
> I'm not sure how to provide what you want. You say you want the latest
> stable - for F13, that is 1.2.7.1 and the other
> dependencies/co-components such as 389-admin-1.1.13, 389-adminutil, etc.
>
> If you would rather use the latest 1.2.6 which is 1.2.6.1, I can show
> you where to get the srpm, but how do you know which other components to
> use with that?

My mistake, I was checking directory.fedoraproject.org which says 1.2.7
is still in alpha. But this side-steps the actual issue I am faced with.

The problem I have is I'm on a dark site, and we pull the 389-ds source
from another computer (which happens to be a F13 computer for now), copy
it over via convoluted means to a redhat computer where we recompile and
use 389-ds. We used to use Redhat DS, but we wanted some of the newer
functionality available in 389-ds.

A more direct question: what is the easiest way for me to pull the
latest RHEL-5 stable source as an RPM and its dependencies and sources,
if I'm not on a RHEL-5 host?

I think an implicit flaw in the whole "yum to distribute" method is it
assumes you are on the host you want to install on.

The only other method I've found is to browse koji. It is a bit like
trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Thanks,

-Brandon

Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Daniel Maher

On 11/29/2010 11:18 PM, brandon wrote:

> A more direct question: what is the easiest way for me to pull the
> latest RHEL-5 stable source as an RPM and its dependencies and sources,
> if I'm not on a RHEL-5 host?

Shorter answer: Yum will attempt to obtain files from whatever
repository you tell it to use. If you want to download files from an
RHEL 5 repo, all you you need to do is configure said repo and tell Yum
to use it.

As an addendum, you might be particularly interested in "yumdownloader",
which is a tool for downloading packages (including source RPMs) without
actually installing them.

--
Daniel Maher <dma + 389users AT witbe DOT net>

Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 PM
brandon

On 11/30/2010 01:54 AM, Daniel Maher wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 11:18 PM, brandon wrote:
>
>> A more direct question: what is the easiest way for me to pull the
>> latest RHEL-5 stable source as an RPM and its dependencies and sources,
>> if I'm not on a RHEL-5 host?

I think that is more of a snarky answer than a shortest answer. While
shortest, it doesn't help the question any

> Shorter answer: Yum will attempt to obtain files from whatever
> repository you tell it to use. If you want to download files from an
> RHEL 5 repo, all you you need to do is configure said repo and tell Yum
> to use it.
>
> As an addendum, you might be particularly interested in "yumdownloader",
> which is a tool for downloading packages (including source RPMs) without
> actually installing them.

Assuming it is possible to set a priority, so the F13 repo will have a
lower priority than the EL5 repo, is there a document somewhere that you
know of to explain this, or am I relegated to having to dig into another
mailing list and make a different shout-out to a different group of
people? Are you telling me to just go away?

I ask here because this project has decided to use yum as a distribution
method. I believe by making such a decision there is a bit of
responsibility around helping people use the distribution tool the
project has selected, instead of sending people blindly into a different
project for help.

To be honest, I still think the simplest (but ugly) method may be to
just browse koji, pull the top level file, read the rpm spec, pull
dependencies and so forth in the same manner. Painful as it may be,
there is less of a question about things that way. Yum is nice, but
blind. In my experience with it, it is more of the fisher price tool of
software downloading, you have a few big buttons but little control.

It'd be nice and simple if there was just a folder where all of the src
RPMs are availalble for download, much like is done on the Redhat side
of the project:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/RHDirServ/SRPMS/

Nice, succinct, and everything in one place.

-Brandon

Old 11-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Rob Crittenden

brandon wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 01:54 AM, Daniel Maher wrote:
>> On 11/29/2010 11:18 PM, brandon wrote:
>>
>>> A more direct question: what is the easiest way for me to pull the
>>> latest RHEL-5 stable source as an RPM and its dependencies and sources,
>>> if I'm not on a RHEL-5 host?
>
> I think that is more of a snarky answer than a shortest answer. While
> shortest, it doesn't help the question any
>

>> Shorter answer: Yum will attempt to obtain files from whatever
>> repository you tell it to use. If you want to download files from an
>> RHEL 5 repo, all you you need to do is configure said repo and tell Yum
>> to use it.
>>
>> As an addendum, you might be particularly interested in "yumdownloader",
>> which is a tool for downloading packages (including source RPMs) without
>> actually installing them.
>
> Assuming it is possible to set a priority, so the F13 repo will have a
> lower priority than the EL5 repo, is there a document somewhere that you
> know of to explain this, or am I relegated to having to dig into another
> mailing list and make a different shout-out to a different group of
> people? Are you telling me to just go away?
>
> I ask here because this project has decided to use yum as a distribution
> method. I believe by making such a decision there is a bit of
> responsibility around helping people use the distribution tool the
> project has selected, instead of sending people blindly into a different
> project for help.
>
> To be honest, I still think the simplest (but ugly) method may be to
> just browse koji, pull the top level file, read the rpm spec, pull
> dependencies and so forth in the same manner. Painful as it may be,
> there is less of a question about things that way. Yum is nice, but
> blind. In my experience with it, it is more of the fisher price tool of
> software downloading, you have a few big buttons but little control.
>
> It'd be nice and simple if there was just a folder where all of the src
> RPMs are availalble for download, much like is done on the Redhat side
> of the project:
>
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/RHDirServ/SRPMS/
>
> Nice, succinct, and everything in one place.

It looks like you already know where the latest RHEL-5 SRPMS are.
Dependencies are the tricky bit, it depends on how deep you want to
follow them.

It might help if you explained why you wanted the RHEL-5 version on an
F-13 machine.

rob

Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM
brandon

On 11/30/2010 07:17 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> It looks like you already know where the latest RHEL-5 SRPMS are.
> Dependencies are the tricky bit, it depends on how deep you want to
> follow them.
>
> It might help if you explained why you wanted the RHEL-5 version on an
> F-13 machine.

Other way around. We want 389-ds on a RHEL-5 system. The RHEL-5 DS is
missing features we wanted. Since we were building from source either
way, why not use 389-ds? We are actually waiting for IPA to mature a
little more and will probably pick it up when Redhat gets behind it
again, and in the meantime we are using 389-ds.

Our problem is the RHEL hosts we have are "dark" and not connected to
the internet. There is this assumption nowdays that everything is
internet communicable, which is not true. The hosts we do have
connected to the internet in a lab run F13 over a wireless card.

-Brandon

Old 11-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Les Mikesell

On 11/30/2010 8:09 AM, brandon wrote:

>> Shorter answer: Yum will attempt to obtain files from whatever
>> repository you tell it to use. If you want to download files from an
>> RHEL 5 repo, all you you need to do is configure said repo and tell Yum
>> to use it.
>>
>> As an addendum, you might be particularly interested in "yumdownloader",
>> which is a tool for downloading packages (including source RPMs) without
>> actually installing them.
>
> Assuming it is possible to set a priority, so the F13 repo will have a
> lower priority than the EL5 repo, is there a document somewhere that you
> know of to explain this, or am I relegated to having to dig into another
> mailing list and make a different shout-out to a different group of
> people? Are you telling me to just go away?
>
> I ask here because this project has decided to use yum as a distribution
> method. I believe by making such a decision there is a bit of
> responsibility around helping people use the distribution tool the
> project has selected, instead of sending people blindly into a different
> project for help.
>
> To be honest, I still think the simplest (but ugly) method may be to
> just browse koji, pull the top level file, read the rpm spec, pull
> dependencies and so forth in the same manner. Painful as it may be,
> there is less of a question about things that way. Yum is nice, but
> blind. In my experience with it, it is more of the fisher price tool of
> software downloading, you have a few big buttons but little control.
>
> It'd be nice and simple if there was just a folder where all of the src
> RPMs are availalble for download, much like is done on the Redhat side
> of the project:
>
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/RHDirServ/SRPMS/
>
> Nice, succinct, and everything in one place.

I thought I replied to this thread yesterday but don't see it now, so my
apologies if this is a duplicate. Can't you use the version intended
for RHEL in the EPEL repository, even if you have to pull the source
rpms and rebuild with different options or patch files:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/

Or use an RHEL or CentOS machine with yumdownloader (from the yum-utils
package) to grab them. Even if you have to install a virtual machine
under some other OS, that's not at all difficult.

Or, if there is any way to connect to an internet-connected box, you
might be able to use ssh port-forwarding to set up a proxy for yum to
use directly.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Andrey Ivanov

I usually take the latest source files for the ds, admin server,
adminutil and mod_nss from http://directory.fedoraproject.org/sources/
and then use a customized script to compile, install, configure and
import the ldif fronm the production. But i don't see any new source
files there since the 29th october...