-   -   Problems with accessing console (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-directory/454839-problems-accessing-console.html)

Gerrard Geldenhuis 11-19-2010 10:34 AM

Problems with accessing console

Hi
I have a bit of a problem with a few 389 servers I recently build...
*
Firstly how I got there:
I added 4 additional servers to our infrastructure, the servers had 389 installed and configured but as a separate set of 4 servers completely stand alone. I removed everything with remove-ds-admin -f -y before I added the 4 servers to our main infrastructure.
*
We use a shared (multimaster netscapedb setup), setup in the following way:
Enable changelog on new server ( aka master-new)
Create netscapedb root suffix
enable master replica for netscape db
iniatiate db from another master (aka master01)
run register-ds-admin.pl on master-new
*
The problem is that I am not able to access the admin console.
*
If I run the console from master01 and try to access the admin console on master-new, it takes a very long time to load and when I then try and view anything in the configuration tab I get timeouts. I can open the directory server for master-new remotely so that seems to be working fine.
*
My questions:
It seems remove-ds-admin.pl does not cleanly remove any previously set admin settings for the admin server, would you agree or is it expected to not remove admin server settings.
*
How can I fix this, comparing /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/local.conf to another working server brings up loads and loads of differences. My first thought is to fix this file. I compared to different working servers and they seem similar enough for me to attempt this. I am just not sure if this would have other effects not yet known. Is this a recommend course of action?
*
My other option is to start again, but I don’t know how to delete a server cleanly from netscapedb if I use a shared MM netscapedb database. Is there a recommended way to do this?
*
Regards

Gerrard Geldenhuis 11-19-2010 12:04 PM

Problems with accessing console

Some more information, if I try to access the Adminstration server locally from master-new I get the following error message:
Failed to install a localcopy of 389-admin-1.1.jar or one of its supporting files.

Now before you shout package differences, that was one of the first things I checked and they are exactly the same on all servers old and new.

I have tried to fix the config but I still get the same errors.

If I try to access the admin server from another console run from master01 then I don't get the above missing package error but I do get a the following:

So there is probably a missing string for the URL in the netscapedb... any ideas where it would be?

Regards

"Wendt, Trevor" 11-19-2010 03:45 PM

Problems with accessing console

Regarding the timeout issue, I had the exact same problem with my console. It turned out to be a reverse DNS lookup failure for the remote console url I was using. I corrected DNS and all was good (using host entries does not work either). If you want to narrow it down, try connecting to the console on the local server (localhost) at your console port and see if it's fast or not. Don't forget to check your firewalls also. Sorry I can't help on your other questions...

>I have a bit of a problem with a few 389 servers I recently build...
>
>Firstly how I got there:
>I added 4 additional servers to our infrastructure, the servers had 389 installed and configured but as a separate set of 4 servers completely stand >alone. I removed everything with remove-ds-admin -f -y before I added the 4 servers to our main infrastructure.
>
>We use a shared (multimaster netscapedb setup), setup in the following way:
>Enable changelog on new server ( aka master-new)
>Create netscapedb root suffix
>enable master replica for netscape db
>iniatiate db from another master (aka master01)
>run register-ds-admin.pl on master-new
>
>The problem is that I am not able to access the admin console.
>
>If I run the console from master01 and try to access the admin console on master-new, it takes a very long time to load and when I then try and >view anything in the configuration tab I get timeouts. I can open the directory server for master-new remotely so that seems to be working fine.
>
>My questions:
>It seems remove-ds-admin.pl does not cleanly remove any previously set admin settings for the admin server, would you agree or is it expected >to not remove admin server settings.
>
>How can I fix this, comparing /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/local.conf to another working server brings up loads and loads of differences. My first >thought is to fix this file. I compared to different working servers and they seem similar enough for me to attempt this. I am just not sure if this >would have other effects not yet known. Is this a recommend course of action?
>
>My other option is to start again, but I don't know how to delete a server cleanly from netscapedb if I use a shared MM netscapedb database. Is >there a recommended way to do this?
>
>Regards

Some more information, if I try to access the Adminstration server locally from master-new I get the following error message:
Failed to install a localcopy of 389-admin-1.1.jar or one of its supporting files.

Now before you shout package differences, that was one of the first things I checked and they are exactly the same on all servers old and new.

I have tried to fix the config but I still get the same errors.

If I try to access the admin server from another console run from master01 then I don't get the above missing package error but I do get a the following:

So there is probably a missing string for the URL in the netscapedb... any ideas where it would be?

Regards

This electronic message transmission contains information from Black Hills Corporation, its affiliate or subsidiary, which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware the disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you received this electronic transmission in error, please reply to sender immediately; then delete this message without copying it or further reading.

Rich Megginson 11-20-2010 12:09 AM

[...]

Once the console is running, and you have opened the console for the
directory server, it mostly uses ldap directly to that directory
server

Interactions of the admin server console go through the admin server
and the configuration directory server.

To debug console problems:

first run the console with the -D* -f console.log arguments added

next, check the admin server logs in /var/log/dirsrv/admin-serv -
error and access

*

My questions:

It seems remove-ds-admin.pl does not
cleanly remove any previously set admin settings for the admin
server, would you agree or is it expected to not remove admin
server settings.

It should, if you use remove-ds-admin.pl -y -f

after you run this, you can verify that there is nothing left in
/etc/dirsrv/admin-serv, except read-only config files and any
cert/key db that you have created

*

How can I fix this, comparing
/etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/local.conf to another working server
brings up loads and loads of differences.

There is a lot of host dependent stuff in there.

My first thought is to fix this file.

This file is merely a local read-only cache of the real data stored
under o=NetscapeRoot for this server.* If you edit it, the edits
will be overwritten.

I compared to different working servers and
they seem similar enough for me to attempt this. I am just not
sure if this would have other effects not yet known. Is this a
recommend course of action?

*

My other option is to start again, but I
don’t know how to delete a server cleanly from netscapedb if I
use a shared MM netscapedb database. Is there a recommended
way to do this?

ds_removal

*

Regards

In order to protect our email recipients, Betfair Group use
SkyScan from

Rich Megginson 11-20-2010 12:10 AM

On 11/19/2010 06:04 AM, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
> [...]
See previous email about debugging console problems
Check ~/.389-console/jars
> Now before you shout package differences, that was one of the first things I checked and they are exactly the same on all servers old and new.
>
> I have tried to fix the config but I still get the same errors.
"fix the config" - what exactly do you mean?