-   -   duplicate existing ssl crenentials on another server ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-directory/450020-duplicate-existing-ssl-crenentials-another-server.html)

Daniel Maher 11-09-2010 01:58 PM

duplicate existing ssl crenentials on another server ?

Hello,

After having read through the Howto:SSL document on the 389 wiki, i went
ahead and set up SSL for my master instance - it works great, and i
couldn't be happier. :)

I have a slave set up to do read-only replication from the master ; now,
the wiki document has information on how to integrate the certificate
into a slave so that the replication can occur over SSL, which i'll no
doubt do, but that's not what i'm looking for advice on now.

What i'm interested in is actually duplicating the new SSL setup that
currently exists on the master. I realise that this sounds funny, but
the reason is simple : in our environment, all of the clients and
LDAP-aware applications are configured to send requests to a given
hostname (which is not the base FQDN of the LDAP server - it's another,
separate hostname entirely). If the master goes down, the slave
automatically has this separate hostname assigned to it.

(Put another way, it's a sort of poor-man's failover. It's far from
perfect, and everybody knows it, but that's what's there, so for now we
live with it. :P )

What i would appear to need, therefore, is to have the slave be able to
respond to incoming SSL requests with exactly the same credentials as
the master. Is this even possible, and if so, how would i got about
doing it ?

Thank you, all.

--
Daniel Maher <dma + 389users AT witbe DOT net>

Angel Bosch Mora 11-09-2010 02:11 PM

duplicate existing ssl crenentials on another server ?

you must create a certificate with additional hostnames with -8 option.

you can view an example here:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5899/6n7uuth9p?l=en&n=1&a=view

----- Missatge original -----

Gerrard Geldenhuis 11-09-2010 02:27 PM

duplicate existing ssl crenentials on another server ?

There is another document on the wiki which describes how to setup certificates for a vip.... that is similar to what you want to do. I can't find it at the moment but might be worth trolling through the wiki again.

Regards

Daniel Maher 11-09-2010 03:06 PM

On 11/09/2010 04:27 PM, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:

> There is another document on the wiki which describes how to setup certificates for a vip.... that is similar to what you want to do. I can't find it at the moment but might be worth trolling through the wiki again.

Actually, the SSL howto has a section on VIPs (the only hit on a search,
in fact) :
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:SSL#Using_Subject_Alt_Name

I gave it a second read-through, and it would seem to indicate that alt
names can be IPs as well as hostnames (i thought it was only the latter
that was possible).

It would therefore appear to be possible to create a certificate that
with a series of alt names - in my scenario, there would literally be
one hostname and two IP addresses.

Has anybody on the list done something similar ? Any advice ? Should
this just work outright ?

(p.s. Angel Bosch Mora - turns out you may have been right the first
time ! :) ).

--
Daniel Maher <dma + 389users AT witbe DOT net>

Gerrard Geldenhuis 11-09-2010 03:19 PM

duplicate existing ssl crenentials on another server ?

I have not done it before... good luck and may the force be with you. :-)

In all seriousness I don't know, if you get it working then steps and pointers back to the list would be great.

Regards

Nathan Kinder 11-09-2010 03:41 PM

On 11/09/2010 08:06 AM, Daniel Maher wrote:
> On 11/09/2010 04:27 PM, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
>

>> There is another document on the wiki which describes how to setup certificates for a vip.... that is similar to what you want to do. I can't find it at the moment but might be worth trolling through the wiki again.
>>
> Actually, the SSL howto has a section on VIPs (the only hit on a search,
> in fact) :
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:SSL#Using_Subject_Alt_Name
>
> I gave it a second read-through, and it would seem to indicate that alt
> names can be IPs as well as hostnames (i thought it was only the latter
> that was possible).
>
> It would therefore appear to be possible to create a certificate that
> with a series of alt names - in my scenario, there would literally be
> one hostname and two IP addresses.
>
> Has anybody on the list done something similar ? Any advice ? Should
> this just work outright ?

If you are using the same exact hostname for the second system, you
could just use the same certificate as the first system (or copy your
entire cert db). You then just need to enable SSL in "cn=config" on the
second system.