Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Chris Lumens

Default - get rid of split media

This series gets rid of split media. It gets rid of the media number from
the .discinfo files. It gets rid of the code around media check for checking
multiple images. It reduces the amount of silly crap we've got in yuminstall.py.

- Chris

Old 10-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Dennis Gregorovic

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 13:10 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> This series gets rid of split media. It gets rid of the media number from
> the .discinfo files. It gets rid of the code around media check for checking
> multiple images. It reduces the amount of silly crap we've got in yuminstall.py.
>
> - Chris

If you get rid of split media, what will happen once you have a
multi-DVD release?

-- Dennis

Old 10-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Chris Lumens

> If you get rid of split media, what will happen once you have a
> multi-DVD release?

The idea is that multi-DVD is too much crud, and we should be better
structuring our releases to where that's not a problem. That is, spins
should become more discerning and useful. Network install methods
should get played up more. The livecd is a popular way of installing
now, and that's not going to be multi-media.

- Chris

Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Bill Nottingham

Chris Lumens (clumens@redhat.com) said:
> > If you get rid of split media, what will happen once you have a
> > multi-DVD release?
>
> The idea is that multi-DVD is too much crud, and we should be better
> structuring our releases to where that's not a problem. That is, spins
> should become more discerning and useful. Network install methods
> should get played up more. The livecd is a popular way of installing
> now, and that's not going to be multi-media.

I agree with this in general. But I can't help but wonder if there are
anaconda-using projects that are going to be limited to doing ISO based
installs for the most part, and may have to deal with split DVDs depending
on how they grow.

Bill

Old 10-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 14:21, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
> Chris Lumens (clumens@redhat.com) said:
>> > If you get rid of split media, what will happen once you have a
>> > multi-DVD release?
>>
>> The idea is that multi-DVD is too much crud, and we should be better
>> structuring our releases to where that's not a problem. *That is, spins
>> should become more discerning and useful. *Network install methods
>> should get played up more. *The livecd is a popular way of installing
>> now, and that's not going to be multi-media.
>
> I agree with this in general. But I can't help but wonder if there are
> anaconda-using projects that are going to be limited to doing ISO based
> installs for the most part, and may have to deal with split DVDs depending
> on how they grow.

*cough* CentOS 5.5 *cough*

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 14:35, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The idea is that multi-DVD is too much crud, and we should be better
>>> structuring our releases to where that's not a problem. *That is, spins
>>> should become more discerning and useful. *Network install methods
>>> should get played up more. *The livecd is a popular way of installing
>>> now, and that's not going to be multi-media.
>>
>> I agree with this in general. But I can't help but wonder if there are
>> anaconda-using projects that are going to be limited to doing ISO based
>> installs for the most part, and may have to deal with split DVDs depending
>> on how they grow.
>
> *cough* CentOS 5.5 *cough*

Ok just to clarify.. I know that this change will not affect CentOS
4.9, 5.[6-9] or 6.X.. but would only affect 7.X but will this affect
RHEL7 if it turns out to need multi-ISO or do we want to wait til
then?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Jesse Keating

On 10/27/10 10:40 AM, Chris Lumens wrote:
>> If you get rid of split media, what will happen once you have a
>> multi-DVD release?
>
> The idea is that multi-DVD is too much crud, and we should be better
> structuring our releases to where that's not a problem. That is, spins
> should become more discerning and useful. Network install methods
> should get played up more. The livecd is a popular way of installing
> now, and that's not going to be multi-media.

See also dual-layer DVD, or blu-ray media.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom is a feature!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Jesse Keating

On 10/27/10 2:26 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Ok just to clarify.. I know that this change will not affect CentOS
> 4.9, 5.[6-9] or 6.X.. but would only affect 7.X but will this affect
> RHEL7 if it turns out to need multi-ISO or do we want to wait til
> then?

I think the answer there would be "It'll be too hard to bring
split-media back. Ship less stuff in RHEL, or follow the Fedora model of
only putting certain things on media"

But that's just what I would say, and I speak for myself.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Connie Sieh

If you get rid of split media, what will happen once you have a
multi-DVD release?

The idea is that multi-DVD is too much crud, and we should be better
structuring our releases to where that's not a problem. That is, spins
should become more discerning and useful. Network install methods
should get played up more. The livecd is a popular way of installing
now, and that's not going to be multi-media.

See also dual-layer DVD, or blu-ray media.

But if you do not have all the rpms on multiple DVD's then is is
imcomplete distribution method. If one wants all of Fedora or RHEL then
having all of the rpms on multiple DVD's is easier to obtain than
mirroring. In the case of RHEL there is no mirroring thus multiple DVD's
are required.

-Connie Sieh

Old 10-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Moray Henderson

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 14:21, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
wrote:

>>> The idea is that multi-DVD is too much crud, and we should be better
>>> structuring our releases to where that's not a problem. *That is,
spins
>>> should become more discerning and useful. *Network install methods
>>> should get played up more. *The livecd is a popular way of
installing
>>> now, and that's not going to be multi-media.
>>
>> I agree with this in general. But I can't help but wonder if there
are
>> anaconda-using projects that are going to be limited to doing ISO
based
>> installs for the most part, and may have to deal with split DVDs
>depending
>> on how they grow.
>
>*cough* CentOS 5.5 *cough*

This could bite upgrades. Last year I had to put together upgrades from
CentOS-4-based systems to CentOS-5-based, using CDs not DVD or network.
Because several libraries had been moved to different packages between 4
and 5, the upgrade wanted 5 CDs while a fresh install of the same system
only required 1. The only way I could reduce the upgrade to a single CD
was to write a nasty pre-upgrade script that uninstalled a load of
system packages (from alchemist to xorg-x11-libs) and hope that my
far-flung users would read the instructions to run it.

Moray.
"To err is human.* To purr, feline"