Old 10-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Connie Sieh

Default - get rid of split media

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Dennis Gregorovic wrote:

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 10:03 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:

Ok just to clarify.. I know that this change will not affect CentOS
4.9, 5.[6-9] or 6.X.. but would only affect 7.X but will this affect
RHEL7 if it turns out to need multi-ISO or do we want to wait til
then?

This change will only affect F15 and any distributions derived from it
or later Fedora releases. So, no RHEL [456].x.

- Chris

It's hard to predict the RHEL 7 requirements at this point.

Since Fedora itself is not producing split media, even if we kept the
code in anaconda, it would not get any use in the Fedora space. So, I'm

Then use it in Fedora.

So what is the relationship of Fedora to future RHEL?

inclined to say yank the code and we can cross the RHEL 7 bridge when we
get to it.

So yank it now and put it back, not very effcient. Better to leave it in
and lets users that need it use it in Fedora, then it will be there for
RHEL 7 .

-Connie Sieh

-- Dennis

Old 10-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Peter Jones

On 10/28/2010 10:59 AM, Connie Sieh wrote:

>>> This change will only affect F15 and any distributions derived from it
>>> or later Fedora releases. So, no RHEL [456].x.
>>>
>>> - Chris
>>
>> It's hard to predict the RHEL 7 requirements at this point.
>>
>> Since Fedora itself is not producing split media, even if we kept the
>> code in anaconda, it would not get any use in the Fedora space. So, I'm
>
> Then use it in Fedora.
>
> So what is the relationship of Fedora to future RHEL?

It's mostly a temporal relationship . Yes, RHEL 7 will come from a
branched (future) Fedora. If we absolutely must have split media in RHEL
7, we can put something back in. But the installer team (and presumably
release engineering) are both going to argue against it quite strongly.
There's also not a lot of point in keeping the current code - mostly it
will just atrophy and bit-rot between now and then.

>> inclined to say yank the code and we can cross the RHEL 7 bridge when we
>> get to it.
>
> So yank it now and put it back, not very effcient. Better to leave it
> in and lets users that need it use it in Fedora, then it will be
> there for RHEL 7 .

There's no real reason to believe code we don't use that's untested for
several years will still work reasonably well. In fact, there's plenty of
reason not to. Remember that when we're talking about RHEL 7, that's the
fairly distant future. It's an age in terms of code. Also the real
efficiency here is simple: we're going to try hard not to put it back.

--
Peter

Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Chris Lumens

> So what is the relationship of Fedora to future RHEL?

RHEL 7 will be based upon some future version of Fedora (who knows
which), with various other fixes applied as required.

> So yank it now and put it back, not very effcient. Better to leave
> it in and lets users that need it use it in Fedora, then it will be
> there for RHEL 7 .

Because we don't want to maintain it in either distribution anymore.
Please see my previous "This Week in Anaconda" post on the subject
(http://www.bangmoney.org/serendipity/index.php?/archives/155-This-Week-in-Anaconda-2.html),
under the header "A crazy new idea".

- Chris

Old 10-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Moray Henderson

David Cantrell wrote:
>We could also consider creating install images designed for use on
large
>capacity USB flash drives. A 32GB flash drive can hold the entire
>distribution and work as an installation source. Boot and install from
it
>or just use it as the package repo.

Very useful at a single site, or for a technician to carry when visiting
sites. Not so good when distributing media to many remote sites (32GB
flash drive - 37.00. DVD+RW - 0.32. Competent System Administrator -
priceless :-) )

Moray.
"To err is human.* To purr, feline"

Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 PM
David Cantrell

We could also consider creating install images designed for use on

large

capacity USB flash drives. A 32GB flash drive can hold the entire
distribution and work as an installation source. Boot and install from

it

or just use it as the package repo.

Very useful at a single site, or for a technician to carry when visiting
sites. Not so good when distributing media to many remote sites (32GB
flash drive - 37.00. DVD+RW - 0.32. Competent System Administrator -
priceless :-) )

Sure, that's the price now. And 32GB was an arbitrary number, the actual
requirement would probably be smaller. My point was that we have other
install methods that can pretty much fill the need that split media was
doing.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com>